The Sabres are never making the playoffs AGAIN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

The Sabres are never making the playoffs AGAIN.

Part of the reason the NHL went through a lockout in 2004-05 was because teams said they were spending 76 percent of their revenue on salaries. Managing partner Larry Quinn said the Sabres are almost back to their pre-lockout days. He said the Sabres spent about $46.5 million on salaries, though that total includes the $2.6 million not given to Teppo Numminen after he failed his physical.
    “The whole basis of the collective bargaining agreement is to spend about 56 percent of your revenues on hockey players,” Quinn said. “We spent about 65, almost 70 percent of our revenues on hockey players last year. We’ve been able to keep ourselves in the black because, quite frankly, we operate very efficiently here and we’ve gotten some tremendous support for our fans.”
    Quinn said not making the playoffs will ding the team’s bottom line, but not as much as people believe.
    “During the playoffs, you’re contributing about half of your money back to the league in this new system,” Quinn said. “So although it’s important and you make money on it, it’s not what it used to be.”

Start the fire sale to get cheaper contracts in here NOW!!! Playoff revenue doesn't matter any more....Sabres are done with the playoffs!!!
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: The Sabres are never making the playoffs AGAIN.

We're in the black and didn't make the playoffs.

Comment

• SabreEleven
      • Aug 2002

Exactly, so there is no incentive for Quinn to get the Sabres there. He has done his job. He made TG money. Mission accomplished.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Comment

• RockStar36
          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
          • Sep 2004

I was hoping that once they got into the black things could go back to normal and they could spend up to the cap. I would hope that spending that kind of money balances out with the kind of fan base the Sabres have. I wish they would realize that.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SabreEleven

Quinn said not making the playoffs will ding the team’s bottom line, but not as much as people believe.
            hmm, that's certainly contradicts everything he and TG have said the previous few years. i remember them both stating as recently as last season that if they "didn't make the playoffs" they'd be "in the red". i have lost a lot of respect/trust for this front office over the past 12 months.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
              hmm, that's certainly contradicts everything he and TG have said the previous few years. i remember them both stating as recently as last season that if they "didn't make the playoffs" they'd be "in the red". i have lost a lot of respect/trust for this front office over the past 12 months.
              I have ZERO faith in this front office and the trust is pretty much gone too.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                • Aug 2002

The only reason the Sabres were in the black is because of the all the season tickets that they sold after last years two playoff runs. How many of those same people are going to sign up for season tickets after missing this year?

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                  I have ZERO faith in this front office and the trust is pretty much gone too.
                  I'm the opposite. I have no trust but a little faith.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                    The only reason the Sabres were in the black is because of the all the season tickets that they sold after last years two playoff runs. How many of those same people are going to sign up for season tickets after missing this year?
                    That is what I keep thinking. They want to save money and make sure they turn a profit but if they aren't a playoff team they will lose even more money. Like I said, they gotta spend money to make money.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Mski
                      • Mar 2006

quinn's the one i dont like... he's the one who always tries to cut spending, and tells darcy to lowball the players
                      RIP Tommy D!
                      12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• RockStar36
                        • Sep 2004

Same with me. Quinn is the person I have the most problems with. I'm on the younger side when it comes to Sabres fans so I don't know all the details but I seem to remember him screwing things up years ago.

D & S Sports

Comment

Working...
                        X