PDA

View Full Version : Stinginess might haunt sabres

YardRat
04-12-2008, 05:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=38d7b5c0-4528-4238-b1a5-a2bf805d5fcd

While Buffalo Sabres defenceman Teppo Numminen was off getting heart surgery this season, the team decided not to pay him his $2.6 million salary.

"This whole situation is doing nothing to help the Sabres down the road to attract players to their market," one high-ranking official within the league said.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Golisano is a very successful businessman, but running a payroll processing company and a professional sports franchise are very different things.

Not only did the Sabres shoot themselves in the foot with Numminen, but with Grier, Briere, Drury and Campbell as well. It's not simply that players will not want to come here, but the fans have been alienated, and Golisano's bottom line obsession has backfired - his stingy ways have seriously damaged his beloved bottom line.

The revenues from a deep playoff run this year would probably have more than offset the incremental increases in the salaries of the good players who he wouldn't re-sign.

Mitchy moo
04-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I wrote 10 posts on this same subject the night the Sabres we're eliminated. Tom G. put away his checkbook and choked off the team / fans. I am going to see if he is home this afternoon and drop a bag of flaming crap on his doorstep, his house is pretty much next door here.

Jan Reimers
04-12-2008, 08:41 AM
I wrote 10 posts on this same subject the night the Sabres we're eliminated. Tom G. put away his checkbook and choked off the team / fans. I am going to see if he is home this afternoon and drop a bag of flaming crap on his doorstep, his house is pretty much next door here.
Put in a couple of turds for me. I'm really sick of the stingy, tightwad way he is ruining the Sabres.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Might haunt them? Hasn't their stinginess been haunting them for the last three years?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't think the team "screwed over" Teppo at all.

Say you hire a guy to put a new roof on your house and shed...
and negotiated a contract to pay him a $15,000 flat rate (based on a $20/hr. + materials estimate).
After he finishes the roof on your shed, he finds out he needs heart surgery for a condition he knew about
and he can't be a roofer any longer...
He doesn't even start the roof on your house and can't finish the job.

If his heart surgery wasn't the result of a mis-fired nail gun on your shed roof,
would you pay him the full $15,000 for your little shed roof?

I sure wouldn't, but I would agree to pay him $25/hr. for the shed roof because it was such a small short-term job.

YardRat
04-12-2008, 12:38 PM
His big mouth didn't help any with Zubrus, either.

Meathead
04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
the teppo situation is a nothing. even teppo says he wants to play here. any team that would pay a guy all season for problems unrelated to hockey are the dumbasses

some of the other accusations of stinginess have more merit