PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown Updates Malcolm Kelly Scouting Report

Midwesternbillsfan
04-12-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/malcolmkelly.html

I've said recently that if we want Kelly we shouldn't take him at 11 because his value has likely been removed from the top-tier of WR's (Thomas, Sweed, Hardy) to the second (Doucet, Manningham, Bennett). Some posters have called that absurb. I personally believe that he will be made available at 41 because he was graded a 2nd-round pick by the NFL Advisory Committee and he's done nothing to help himself in the draft process w/his quadriceps injury and his ability to work out at the Combine or Oklahoma's first pro-day (and his abysmal performance on Tuesday).

Secondly, Buffalo has to pursue players they want but also remain cognizant of where other players' value likely lies league-wide. Namely, if they can get a player at 41, they shouldn't take him at 11. What if Tom Modrak had answered Marv Levy's question about who was likely to last longer between Marshawn Lynch and Paul Posluszny w/Lynch? The Bills would have drafted Posluszny at 12 and then lacked the ammunition to trade up high enough for Marshawn, who would've gone 16th to Green Bay. Instead, the Bills did it very adroitly and appropriately, taking Lynch at 12 and then moving on Posluszny at 34. IMO, if the Bills want Kelly, they shouldn't take him at 11. Devin Thomas is barely a reach at 11; Kelly is perhaps at least a full round reach there.

Philagape
04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I didn't think it was absurb.

coastal
04-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Scott Wright is over-rated.

Midwesternbillsfan
04-12-2008, 02:01 PM

I do agree w/that; he's nothing extraordinary as a scout. This is in part a mea culpa because Wright has been touting Kelly to Buffalo for the most of the winter/spring, but the increasing consensus is that Kelly doesn't belong- and won't go- in the 1st round.

bigbub2352
04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Devin Thomas at 11, please let it happen

raphael120
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Has problems with BOTH knees possibly? "Might drop off teams draft boards altogether.." Really???

Mitchy moo
04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Was this written for a 8 year old?

justasportsfan
04-12-2008, 08:07 PM
whatever it is our draft team needs to know about Kelly , I'm sure they've covered it.

I trust they know what they are doing and are on top of things.

streetkings01
04-12-2008, 08:42 PM
whatever it is our draft team needs to know about Kelly , I'm sure they've covered it.

I trust they know what they are doing and are on top of things.You guys do know that our scouts are the same guys that gave Mike Williams and JP Losman 1st rd grades right?

Michael82
04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Devin Thomas at 11, please let it happen
yeah, nothing better than reaching for a 1-year wonder who sucked in his 1st year. :ill:

TigerJ
04-12-2008, 10:46 PM
With Kelly's terrible workout, I think he is a second round draft pick. That's not to say he won't be a good pro. There's at least a chance that field conditions led top his poor 40 time in which case he could be a real bargain in the second round. I wouldn't mind if the Bills picked him there, but there is no legitimate argument left that he should be drafted 11th over all.

more cowbell
04-12-2008, 11:03 PM
You guys do know that our scouts are the same guys that gave Mike Williams and JP Losman 1st rd grades right?

Tom Donahoe

Midwesternbillsfan
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
With Kelly's terrible workout, I think he is a second round draft pick. That's not to say he won't be a good pro. There's at least a chance that field conditions led top his poor 40 time in which case he could be a real bargain in the second round. I wouldn't mind if the Bills picked him there, but there is no legitimate argument left that he should be drafted 11th over all.

I agree on all counts. He still could be a fine pro and I love his hands but- at this point, after this three-month draft process in which he was initially given a 2nd-round grade by the NFL Advisory Committee and then proceeded to be unable to work out at the Combine or Oklahoma's pro-day because of his quadriceps injury and then basically self-destructed with a disappointing performance at Oklahoma's second pro-day, one in which he assigned blame out away from himself to his university- taking Kelly at 11 would constitute a reach that we could not justify. Reportedly, some teams have taken him off their boards entirely for one reason or another (concerns about his knees; concerns about his maturity, etc.). And reportedly, many teams never had him with a 1st-round grade even before Tuesday.

I don't feel way about any receiver at 11, that any receiver would be a reach; Devin Thomas has been an exponential riser from the Combine to his pro-day to the individual work-outs/interviews and this comes on the heals of a 79-catch, 1260 yard season and reports out of Michigan State that he's such an assiduous worker that Robert Meachem-like 'one-year wonder' concerns don't appear to be nearly as worrisome. If he's a reach, he's much less so. Even Limas Sweed and James Hardy have helped themselves between their workouts and interviews that they still have a good chance to go at least in the late 1st. They'd be reaches at 11, too, but again... less than Kelly.

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM

I do agree w/that; he's nothing extraordinary as a scout. This is in part a mea culpa because Wright has been touting Kelly to Buffalo for the most of the winter/spring, but the increasing consensus is that Kelly doesn't belong- and won't go- in the 1st round.

Agreed...Wright touts himself a very qualified and extraordinary scout he is not. He and I have had disagreements over email before about players and picks. Needless to say I am not a huge fan of his. But that was a while ago and I have been assured by other people that he is indeed a good guy.

Night Train
04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
yeah, nothing better than reaching for a 1-year wonder who sucked in his 1st year. :ill:

Know the story before making such a silly statement.

He played JUCO before Michigan St. gave him a scholarship in 2006. John L. Smith didn't use him in 2006 with established starters and he still had 2 years left of eligibility, entering 2007. Smith is fired and new coach Mark Dantonio discovers in spring practice he's the best player on the team.

Dantonio then decides Thomas must touch the ball as much as possible. The result is 79 catches plus returning kicks and punts. Sets the Big 10 total yardage record for a season.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 07:46 AM

so you cant view that as he produced as soon as he got the opportunity? he was a small school transfer who had to adjust, but has done nothing but produce when he was a starter on the field. he was one of the best, if not THE best wrs in college football last year. Not only that, but he full potential has yet to be realized.

but god forbid you look at it in a positive light.

The Spaz
04-14-2008, 08:54 AM

You should stay out of draft comments.