State of the Bills (at least my take on it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

State of the Bills (at least my take on it)

So, FA is over for all intents and purposes- all the "impact" players have been signed and anyone else we add is going to be depth or camp fodder at this point.

With the draft to go, where do the Bills stand?

Just to be different, let's start with S/T. No doubt, some S/T talent was lost with Wire, Aiken, Hargrove and likely Haggan. But none of those guys are irreplaceable and other guys like Wendling are stepping it up. The core of the S/T- Coach Bobby April, Lindell, Moorman, Parrish and McGee are still here. This unit should be about the same as last year and hopefully they can return to 2006 status, where they were dominant.

Defense: the D should be significantly better. Despite an overall horrid performance and a slew of injuries last year, the D displayed moments of confidence and did seem to improve as the season wore on. In addition, we obtained Spencer Johnson, Kawika Mitchell and most importantly, Marcus Stroud. The DT rotation is now solid. We have a hole at CB, however, I'm not overly concerned with it for two reasons: 1. Kiwaukee Thomas and Jason Webster weren't exactly star material, and 2. more pressure on the QB (hopefully) and improved OLB play in the Cover-2 zone will minimize the impact. There are some depth issues, particularly at S and OLB, but with the additions and guys like Simpson and Poz returning, this unit should be solid. I don't expect it to be a repeat of the dominance of 03-04, but there's every reason to expect this unit to be good enough to keep us in games and maybe even win one or two for us.

Offense: This is a real problem area. The O was terrible last year- not just bad, but terrible. And we've had no significant losses, but no significant additions either- just a couple of journeyman TE's. Basically, the FO is counting on a new OC and improvements from guys like Edwards and Lynch to put us over the top. That's not enough to go from a bad O to a good O, or even from a bad O to a mediocre O.

Offense has to be the focus of the draft, but I just don't see how we can possibly get enough help out of the draft to get production out of the O. The rest of the team looks solid, yet the O will hold us back.

To complicate matters, here's a brief summary of the rest of the AFCE:
    Patriots- lost a few key players and probably took a step back, but they were 10 steps ahead of the rest of the division. Expect them to win the division with ease yet again.

Jets- very busy off-season, filled some key holes. It will be interesting to see if Mangini can get this team to gel and perform. Still, the Jets certainly won't be the pushovers they were last year, and may be very good if everything falls into place.

Miami: They took a few steps forward but they were already 10 steps behind the rest of the division. Not a threat yet, but on the right track and will pull out a few surprise victories. They still need to resolve the QB situation before they can be taken seriously.

So, overall, the Bills have improved mildly, but still won't be able to catch the Patriots and they need to be on the lookout for Jets and Dolphins teams that are on the rebound. It's going to be frustrating to watch the O hold us back for at least the 6th straight season.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: State of the Bills (at least my take on it)

you forgot to add your opinion on whether the loss of Fairchild is a good or bad thing. Otherwise
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• hydro
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      you forgot to add your opinion on whether the loss of Fairchild is a good or bad thing. Otherwise
      You would be hard pressed to find anyone that hated to see him go.
      BERNIAC!

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hydrosmak
        You would be hard pressed to find anyone that hated to see him go.
        I don't know about that. Moran claimed he was a huge fan .
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Edwards and Lynch were both rookies last year and should, by most theories, get better this year.

Not to mention the dismissal of Fairchild and this offense should not be left for dead and assumed to be as bad as it was last year. One of two contributors (i.e. WR and TE) will be a huge benefit.
          Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 04-12-2008, 08:46 PM.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

So is the glass half empty or half full?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Wow! Not bad Op! Good post!

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

Nice Post OpIV37

I think we need to go serious offense early in the draft for not addressing much in Free agency

2 WRs a TE and a FB need to come out of this draft
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                  • Apr 2005

The way I see it, with our O being that bad last year we have nowhere to go but up. With Trent having some experience, our O line continuing to improve, Lynch getting another year, and the additions of some potentially good draft picks, I can only see us improving....but this IS the Bills we're talkin about so who knows...

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    Nice Post OpIV37

I think we need to go serious offense early in the draft for not addressing much in Free agency

2 WRs a TE and a FB need to come out of this draft
                    and a starting Center.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Nice post, Op. On the defensive side, I would just add that we have several 3rd year guys - Whitner, McCargo, K. Williams, Simpson and Youboty - who should be much improved, as it's generally thought that players make their biggest jump between their second and third years. A healthy Denney will also help.

And the CB situation should be helped somewhat by the addition of Will James - who I think is better than K. Thomas or Webster - and the possible emergence of Youboty (although I may be one of the few guys on here who thinks he may still have a chance).

But the offense, even with Fairchild gone and Edwards and Lynch getting better, is going to really suffer unless we draft immediate contributors at WR and TE - which is not easy to do.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

The D is a DE and a CB short of being the real deal.

I would not ***** one bit if the Bills drafted Derrick Harvey and Reggie Smith with their first two picks.

From there they could deal go all offense the rest of the way.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

I just wish we would have brought in a #2 WR in FA so we could have less to worry about in the draft. As is, we're only forced to use a 1st (or at the very least a 2nd) on a WR. It's not like we don't have the cap space. That's the one thing that has me scratching my head. Good assessment, OP.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by coastal
                            The D is a DE and a CB short of being the real deal.

I would not ***** one bit if the Bills drafted Derrick Harvey and Reggie Smith with their first two picks.

From there they could deal go all offense the rest of the way.
                            go all offense the rest of the way?? wow, we'd get some real studs in the 3rd round right? We HAVE to go with O on one of our first 2 picks our O is doomed for another bottom-5 year.

nice, reasonable post Op.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

we have such a need at wr.. i just dont understand why we dont throw darrell jackson a bone. it would help us in the draft a ton.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X