PDA

View Full Version : Chris Butler about to sign with Sabres

Dr. Lecter
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Star defenseman Chris Butler is leaving the University of Denver early to sign with the Buffalo Sabres.

The junior took a physical today in Buffalo and is scheduled to return to Denver on Sunday.

"It's definitely exciting," Butler said by phone from Buffalo. "But it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I got along so well with the guys, such a strong bond. I didn't want to let anyone down. But I had a lot of support with the decision. They told me they didn't think I was letting them down or anything."

Butler, who likely would have been captain next season, is the fourth player — third junior — in the past three years to leave DU early to sign an NHL deal.
Butler will complete the school year at DU, and he promised his grandmother he would complete his bachelors degree within the next two years.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8905222

Mitchell55
04-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Star defenseman Chris Butler is leaving the University of Denver early to sign with the Buffalo Sabres.

The junior took a physical today in Buffalo and is scheduled to return to Denver on Sunday.

"It's definitely exciting," Butler said by phone from Buffalo. "But it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I got along so well with the guys, such a strong bond. I didn't want to let anyone down. But I had a lot of support with the decision. They told me they didn't think I was letting them down or anything."

Butler, who likely would have been captain next season, is the fourth player — third junior — in the past three years to leave DU early to sign an NHL deal.
Butler will complete the school year at DU, and he promised his grandmother he would complete his bachelors degree within the next two years.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8905222

Better than nothing. Lets see what happens.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-13-2008, 03:08 AM

The Sabres already signed Whitmore and Kosta. The Sabres are getting ready for the new farm team who that will be is yet to be seen but the Sabres say that they want their own farm team so they don't have to share it with anybody.

User Manuel
04-13-2008, 07:55 AM

?

What do you mean, the kid is a top prospect.

clumping platelets
04-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Butler could be on the roster next year

Mitchy moo
04-13-2008, 08:07 AM

Fingers crossed.

Mitchell55
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
?

What do you mean, the kid is a top prospect.

My bad. Thought I was on the bills site. Just read the signed chris butler.

OpIv37
04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't know anything about the guy specifically, but it's a good move. With Paestch, Weber and Sekera all sharing time with the Sabres and Amerks, the number of prospect D-men in the organization has been depleleted. Get him playing and hope he makes the big time sooner rather than later.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Buffalo's 4th round choice, 96th overall, in 2005, He will probably start off on the farm where that will be is remains to be seen but the Sabres are done with the Americans.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-13-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.sabresfans.com/images/Roster/chrisbutler.jpg
Chris Butler, D, 7.0 C
Drafted: 4th round, 96th overall, 2005
Univ. of Denver

Butler's point totals have taken a hit this year as he has scored only twice and is tied for 11th among WCHA defensemen. Despite getting the shots, the pucks haven't gone in for Butler who makes up for his lack of offensive production with his stellar defensive work. A St. Louis native, Butler scored 27 points in 39 games last season and looked to be following in the footsteps of explosive, former Pioneer and current San Jose Shark, Matt Carle. Unlike Carle, however, Butler's offensive contributions rarely take him out of position and he is considered a legitimate two-way defensive prospect. A smart player, Butler continues to play a sound positional game and is not afraid to take the body.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10216/sabres_ncaa_prospects_update/

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-14-2008, 09:08 AM
it's official,

Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier announced today the team has agreed to an entry-level contract with University of Denver defenseman Chris Butler. As is club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Butler (6'1'', 195 lbs.) was named 2008 RBK Hockey/AHCA Division I Men’s All-American West second team this season after leading Denver to its 15th WCHA title. The Sabres fourth-round selection (96th overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Butler scored three goals and 17 points while blocking a team-high 110 shots in 41 games for the Pioneers.

The St. Louis, Missouri native appeared in 115 games over three collegiate seasons while majoring in business. He registered 21 goals, 46 assists, 66 points and 108 penalty minutes during that span.

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=360339

Mitchell55
04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't know anything about the guy specifically, but it's a good move. With Paestch, Weber and Sekera all sharing time with the Sabres and Amerks, the number of prospect D-men in the organization has been depleleted. Get him playing and hope he makes the big time sooner rather than later.

Webber better start next year. He played very well.