PDA

View Full Version : Draft thoughts

acehole
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Last year when I mentioned that Wr and TE were pressing needs on offense I thought for sure we would get some help in free agency. I am encouraged that we even picked up C Anderson and Teyo...They may help in the redzone in our "Non redzone offense" coined by one of our many interesting posters on this board. I think they may help some in situatuations as will the personel we allready have here including J Reed and R Parish if they are used properly. Fairchild is gone and by default if we can get more creative with these guys we could get more production. Starting TE and #2 WR are still holes that need to be filled. One could argue with Lee Evans situation still up in the air we will need a #1 year after next also. In spite of what some might say....A #1 and # 2 Wr with a running game and TE safty valve are essential for a qb to succeed....especially a young one. Some qb's need less then others but they are the exception and not the rule. Having said all of the above I think a WR is a mistake at the first pick of the draft (Unless a trade down is possible). This kills me to say but there are a lot of other players at other positions that will improve this team. As anmic as we were with offensive weapons....we can't ignore where we were statisticaly on defense....and we did not seem to in Free agency. With addtion of Stroud and Spencer we should improve on run deffense. With the developement of Mcargo and Williams we will have a great mix of rotational guys to stop the run. Will those guys be enough to create a pass rush from the defensive end postion? Some on the board say when assesing a player one should only look at the player....I think that is close minded. Every player works and succeeds with every other player...and DE is no different. With the added push in the middle the DE should be freed up to make more plays. Having said that I dont think Aron Schoble is an elite DE. We saw what the Giants did to the Pats in the superbowl with a dominate defensive line. DL has a lower % of busts then WR..however if we draft a de Like Harvey...he will be used as a part time player unless we unload schobell which is unlikely. Do we give # 1 money to a partime player? Not the Bills usual MO....but not out of the question. a CB like Leodis McKelvin (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/leodis-mckelvin?id=1298)
CB, Troy would improve two phases of our team as he is a good kick returner would normally make sense but they system (cover 2) does not put a premium on Cb's which is why we let Nate walk. A CB like hime could arguably help the pass rush with coverage sacks and we do still have R Moss to deal with some he or a CB is a viable option. Our LB's seem set and depth can be found in the latter rounds.I still think POS goes to the outside and Thomas to the inside. It makes sense from a durability and verteran standpoint. It was also Pozes natural position in school. Thomas is also an agressive run stopper. So no LB with our #1 pick I dont think. Can we rule out saftey, RB,QB and also? I think so. Dark horse canidate is that stud guard/tackle that is moveing up the baords...again drafting to our strenths is not out of the question. Branden Albert (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/branden-albert?id=660) G, Virginia has been moving up boards and may sound crazy but think about running at will in December to keep T Brady off the field? With a young QB game manager in the plans a running game is essential and he would complete possibly the best oline in the league. So who are we going to draft? I dont freaking know...but I think we will be looking at a #2 WR in the latter rounds who can possibly be a #1 and that can be had. We can worry about replacing Lee Year after next if we franchies him. There will also be alot more FA wr next year. There are alot of WR that possibly will work for this in the second round and beyond. We may get lucky and have one of these guys fall to #2 round..but BPA will be our stratigy there. So if not the second round..here are some guys who might help the WR position in the later rounds.

Jordy Nelson - WR, Kansas State - Nelson is a player that I love going into this draft. He has good size (6'3 217lbs) and he made a lot of big plays at Kansas State. He does not have ideal speed, however, he gets open and makes every catch. Great possession receiver at the next level. Probably a 4th round pick.

Jerome Simpson - WR, Costal Carolina -Simpson is a good sized receiver (6-2 198lbs) who set records in the high jump and long jump while at Costal Carolina. He does not have elite top end speed, but he will go up and catch almost any pass thrown his direction. Measured in with the biggest hands and longest arms of any player at the Senior Bowl, regardless of position. Simpson will come off of the board in the 3rd or 4th round and will be a nice #2 or #3 wideout some day, as well as a great weapon in the red zone.

http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,2677715244.aspx

WR James Banks, 6' 2" 215 lbs. Carson-Newman

WR Jordy Nelson, 6' 3" 217 lbs. Kansas State

WR Jabari Arthur, 6' 4" 219 lbs. Akron

WR Micah Rucker, 6' 5" 219 lbs. Eastern Illinois

TE Chris Hopkins, 6” 4” 256 lbs. Toledo

If Juron is a defensive minded coach he has to shore up that defense if he wants to keep his job. So I think there is better value on the defensive side of the ball at our pick..unless we trade down. We need to build a defense that can stop the offenses in our division including one on the downsides of thier riegn. We can have a lot of questions answered this year on otherside of the ball. We can see what we have in the qb..we can see if C andersen or Teyo were the real deal....we can see how bad Fairchild really was....we can see if Lee comes or goes...I dont really agree with this but it may be there plan. Alot of games were lost be small margins.

Build a defensive line and or defense that can fluster the pats...split one game with them.......You add one less TD on defense and one more on offense what would our record be? With Jurons insightful new ofensive strategy " Score points on offense..." we can't go wrong.

acehole
04-14-2008, 07:43 AM
pffft.

Yasgur's Farm
04-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I don't think people wanna read... I'll give it a go during my lunch hour.

mayotm
04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I've posted a few times about Jordy Nelson. He would be perfect opposite Evans. He's very polished and could contribute right away.

acehole
04-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I don't think people wanna read... I'll give it a go during my lunch hour.

Thank you Draz a stream of thought thing I had to write it all down.

EDS
04-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Our LB's seem set and depth can be found in the latter rounds.I still think POS goes to the outside and Thomas to the inside. It makes sense from a durability and verteran standpoint. It was also Pozes natural position in school. Thomas is also an agressive run stopper. So no LB with our #1 pick I dont think. [/COLOR]

I was on vacation for a while, so maybe I missed something, but who is Thomas? Did the Bills sign/trade for a linebacker other than Kawika Mitchell?

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
good post and I understand the rationale.. i think the thing is that with nelson, it is a matter of ceiling.. thomas has a much higher ceiling as far as potential. for me at least.. i want to draft someone who i know can take over when evans is gone.

Don't Panic
04-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Love the Nelson pick too... he could probably be had with our second 4th rounder, albeit after we already grab someone like DThomas in the 1st (after a tradedown). That would leave us four other picks in rounds 1-4 to fill needs other than WR. I could live with that.

EDS
04-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Love the Nelson pick too... he could probably be had with our second 4th rounder, albeit after we already grab someone like DThomas in the 1st (after a tradedown). That would leave us four other picks in rounds 1-4 to fill needs other than WR. I could live with that.

I think everyone is in agreement that a drafting a wide receiver in the first round AFTER a trade down is the best case scenario. Problem is, there is no guarantee that a trade down opportunity is available.

HHURRICANE
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
It's a great post. Here's why:

1) You have to believe that the offense is going to get us into the playoffs if you take a WR at #11. Since we still have a Trent vs. JP debate I don't see anybody ready to leverage the playoffs on Trent's arm. Taking a guy at #11 means that he has to be a Lee Evans guy. Are the guys we are talking about in this years draft that kind of player?

2) Defense wins championships. The Giants keep proving it in every decade. A pass rush takes pressure off the secondary and causes turnovers. Our pass rush was a joke last year. When Denney getting hurt is a significant injury that should be telling you something. Harvey upgrades the the unit immediately.

3) The Bills never do more than is required and that is why we are now sitting desperately for a WR. It's also why we don't make the playoffs. The Giants obvioulsy felt that having depth behind Strahan was a good idea. Eli didn't have to play that well for them to make the playoffs the last few years.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
by the way. Nelsons stock has gone up pretty significantly from what i have read over the last month.

a lot of the mocks i have seen have him moving up to the late 2nd/3rd rounds. not to say he wont go in the fourth, but he is one of those main guys as soon as you get past your caldwells and doucets.

TedMock
04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I think that there are several places we could use a little improvement and for that reason we should go BPA. That may be a CB, DL, etc. I'm not opposed to taking a WR at 11, but I think we can get a similar talent in the second round and at a lower price. Hopefully we do that and extend Evans. We need a number 2 right now, not a number 1. Of course, if we have no hope of keeping Evans, then we'll obviously have to go with a No. 1 WR. If I had my way, I'd go BPA in 1, WR in 2, TE in 3, DT and FB in 4, OL & DL in 5 & 6 and WR (again) & 2 BPA's in 7.

acehole
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I was on vacation for a while, so maybe I missed something, but who is Thomas? Did the Bills sign/trade for a linebacker other than Kawika Mitchell?

Sorry no...that was who I was refering to.

PECKERWOOD
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
There is so many solid players in this year's draft that I think some of these guys will even be available in the 4-5th round.. We need to find a way to trade down and get extra picks. I also think a guy like Earl Bennett in the 3rd round would be a tremendous pickup for the Bills.

kernowboy
04-15-2008, 06:49 AM
We could swap our No11 with Atlanta for their No34, No37, No48 and with our own No41, still draft 3 quality players at WR, TE and CB, plus add some extra defensive help all on day1