PDA

View Full Version : Devin's Buffalo Bills 7-round mock..

Devin
04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
This isnt a prediction, just sort of a "what I would do" type of thing. Will be moving to the draft forums shortly, just giving it a look out here. :up:

While I absolutley believe we need WR help I am of the opinion as deep as this draft is, and given the makeup of our team we need a reliable target not a pro-bowl target. That is to say I believe we can get "our man" almost anywhere in the first 4-5 rounds. I really like Nelson's potential.

1. Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
Exceptionally gifted athlete, isnt the complete prospect Long is but could turn out to be a exceptional pass rusher. Great size, would be a great compliment to stroud, mccargo and Schobel. The upgraded pass rush will help mask deficiencies in the secondary.

2. Martellus Bennett, TE Texas A&M
Amazing athlete, does a lot of things expected of a TE very well. VERY tough/physical, solid blocker, has a monsterous frame and is one of those rare prospects who may end up being a significantly better pro player than college player. What seperates Bennett from other TE prospect is quite simply that he does everything well.

3. Charles Godfrey, CB Iowa
Excellent size/frame, oustanding speed, great ball skills, very physical/tough, hits like a truck. Very raw, however upside is said to be VERY high. Had a phenomenal pro-day where he was able to showcase his athletic ability even furthur. Has amazing natural talent, if coached properly could easily start.

4. Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas St.
Great size and decent speed Nelson is tall/big target needed opposite Evans. Fantastic senior year he has a great frame and is a tough, hard worker. Very smart player who is an accomplished track athlete as well. Would make a great compliment on the other side of Evans.

4. Josh Johnson, QB San Diego
Ridiculous production in college, Josh is a phenomenal athlete and while he has just adequate arm strength he is exceptionally accurate. Has a great football IQ and is a great leader with excellent intangibles. Is still a bit raw but has everything you look for in a prospect. Is related to Marshawn Lynch (not that it matters, but if course helps).

5. Marcus Monk, WR Arkansas
Big physical WR, not the best route runner however has great hands. An absolute terror in the redzone, Monk would be an exceptional 4th wr. Is a great jumper, hes not going to stretch the field however he is absolutley the type of player you want/need inside the 20.

6. Doug Legursky, C Marshall
Strong as an ox, and an excellent technician he has adequate size. As tough as they come, Legursky has like 2-3 state records for wieghtlifting and is exactly the type of tough as nails guy I think we need in the middle. He is a leader, hard worker and has fantastic intangibles. Lacks some physical tools and would benefit sitting a year or two.

7. Mike Cox, FB Georgia Tech
Nicknamed "The Bull" outstanding lead blocker. Cox is the prototypical blocking FB, physical, nasty, and tough he excels at plowing the road. He isnt versatile however. Hes a blocker plain and simple he will get you a couple yards every now and again but thats about it, but hes very aggressive and a hard worker and doesnt quit. Just your old school, blue-collar bulldozer.

7. Dennis Keyes, S UCLA
Great senior year, amazing hitter....fearless. Has a lot of experience would project as a steady, reliable backup with starting potential. Type of player who does everything well but nothing great. Has standout ST potential, a heat seeking missle on returns. Just the type of guy Bobby April would love to have.

7. Tommy Blake, DE TCU
1st or 2nd round talent. Could probably even be a UDFA. Took a late round flyer here, Blake has the football talent of a 1st or 2nd rounder. A natural pass rusher he is a beast off the edge, has a motor that never shuts off. Very productive, very durable. Draft stock almost completley demolished because of rumored psychiatric issues. Took medical leave in 2007, long rumored to be for bi-polar disorder, Blake isnt much of a risk here but if he gets his head on straight he without question has the talent to not just start but be a solid pass rusher in the NFL.

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 04:42 PM
:bf1:

Id prefer Molden over Godfrey and Simpson over Nelson but not bad at all

venis2k1
04-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Sigh another year of watching Josh Reed dissapoint.

and a qb in the 4th?? thats a wasted pick.

How come no one has 3rd tackle as a need on this team? we are one play away from kirk Chambers starting 16 games for us at LT.

All in all a very good mock though.

Jan Reimers
04-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure that Nelson and Monk are going to solve our WR problems, but a nice draft overall.

Devin
04-13-2008, 04:50 PM
:bf1:

Id prefer Molden over Godfrey and Simpson over Nelson but not bad at all

Id be ok with Molden. I like Godfrey a lot, i really am impressed with his abilities. Both certainly have thier flaws, I just believe Godfrey to be the eventual better all around "football player" if you know what I mean.

Simpson I like as well and would be cool with him.

Confused
04-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll give you a 5 out of 10. Jordy Nelson has a very very limited upside. Think tall Josh Reed. I am in the "1st round WR camp" so a DE in the 1st is not good to ME.

Bennett is great.
Josh Johnson sounds like another QB contraversy in the making.
Marcus Monk can be had as a UDFA. His motor sucks. Mike Williams without the hype.
Legursky or sullivan are great.
Hillis is a better blocker FB than Cox, Schmitt is just as good as Cox but will put asses in seats.
Dont know much bout Keyes, but our S position is weak. Wendling anyone?
Pick 7 should be BPA.

Devin
04-13-2008, 04:51 PM

How come no one has 3rd tackle as a need on this team? we are one play away from kirk Chambers starting 16 games for us at LT.

I believe Nelson would be starting at #2.

I am of the line of thought that a QB should be drafted every year somewhere in the draft. Johnson at that spot just presents to much talent to pass up and perhaps in the event Edwards isnt the answer some insurance.

I agree OT is absolutley a need.

Devin
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure that Nelson and Monk are going to solve our WR problems, but a nice draft overall.

I get what you are saying, however I think in our case its about finding the compliment so to speak. I dont think we need a #1 guy, I think we need a solid/reliable guy opposite Evans. And getting that guy (as well as a TE like Bennett) is going to alleviate a lot of issues.

bigbub2352
04-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Luv the Bennett and Monk pick and i think that is exactly were we should take both players, I think we still need to go Devin Thomas at 1, and the rest of the draft u can keep

I like the C from Marshall and Cox as well, good job

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 05:45 PM

You should draft a few positions almost every year; RB, WR, QB, CB, LB you take a few of those players every year as project picks. Johnson may have the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. Also he is raw enough to where he wont be ready for two years. So Edwards is the clear cut starter this year with no pressure from behind him.

We do need to add an OT though too.

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 05:58 PM
You should draft a few positions almost every year; RB, WR, QB, CB, LB you take a few of those players every year as project picks. Johnson may have the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft. Also he is raw enough to where he wont be ready for two years. So Edwards is the clear cut starter this year with no pressure from behind him.

We do need to add an OT though too.

Let me just point out that by this I mean you should take high risk/high reward players. Last year we took Edwards and Wright in Rd 3 and 4 I trashed the picks, and still stand by that. We took players with low ceilings. Not the type of players Im talking about with the post above.

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Id be ok with Molden. I like Godfrey a lot, i really am impressed with his abilities. Both certainly have thier flaws, I just believe Godfrey to be the eventual better all around "football player" if you know what I mean.

Simpson I like as well and would be cool with him.

I have no real beef with Godfrey and think he'd be excellent but Id trade him for Molden in Round 4 if it means we can get Simpson over Nelson.

VeggieMan14
04-13-2008, 06:00 PM
looks good to me:dance:

PECKERWOOD
04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
It doesn't make sense to me to grab Bennett in the 2nd round when we have such a dire need at WR. With our first 4th round pick there is a decent chance that atleast one of these TE's will be available: Jermichael Finley, John Carlson, Kellen Davis and Martin Rucker. Josh Johnson doesn't make sense to me in the 4th, he would end up being a 3rd stringer anyways.

TigerJ
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
I am thinking a little along the lines that hoofhearted is thinking. I would like to see WR addressed before the fourth round. Jordy Nelson would be an excellent value if he could be had in the fourth. I like what East Coast Sports projects as the Bills' strategy, trading down and then picking Devin Thomas. You have a good solid mock though.

jdbillsfan
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't think Nelson will last until the 4th. If he does though, would be a great draft.

Tatonka
04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I get what you are saying, however I think in our case its about finding the compliment so to speak. I dont think we need a #1 guy, I think we need a solid/reliable guy opposite Evans. And getting that guy (as well as a TE like Bennett) is going to alleviate a lot of issues.

so jordy nelson is going to be our number 1 when evans leaves after this season?

:oops:

DraftBoy
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
so jordy nelson is going to be our number 1 when evans leaves after this season?

:oops:

I didnt quite read that in there plus you assume that we wont be signing any FA's next year or drafting a top WR (the class for next year as of now could be really good).

Devin
04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Too many variables in that regard T, I didnt make this thinking about what-if's in regards to Lee Evans.

I am of the opinion that we dont need a top flight WR, or even 1st round talent. I believe we need 2 -3 guys on our offense that are steady/reliable outside of Evans/Lynch. A guy that can give you 700-800 consistently at the #2 spot along with a TE that can give you 400-600. Role players if you will, I think its more about creating a cohesive unit....guys that are going to make each other better.

This is a deep WR class, next year will be a solid class to. I felt like while we are in the position to we should address DE or CB in the 1st. I think there are upwards of 5-10 guys between rounds 2 and 4 that would be exceptional picks at both WR and TE that would fit our needs.

I realize people get enamoured with names but as has been proven every single year just because you dont go round 1 or 2 doesnt mean you arent capable. I went with Nelson because I feel as a whole he fits our need at the #2 spot perfectly. Bennett most of us are well versed on.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
im not saying your wrong in not thinking about it.. you clearly said that this is a "what i would do".. and on that merit, i think it is pretty solid.

but rest assured that the bills will draft based on next years free agents as well. you have to. you have to draft for the future as well as the present. so with that being said and the fact that they have been trying to sign lee long term but havent made any progress, i think if we do take jordy nelson, we may see him as the second WR we drafted. again.. just pure speculation. maybe we wont and they already have their eyes on a FA wr that might be an option next year like Draftboy said. Who knows. I just dont have a good feeling with Evans already.

DraftBoy
04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
im not saying your wrong in not thinking about it.. you clearly said that this is a "what i would do".. and on that merit, i think it is pretty solid.

but rest assured that the bills will draft based on next years free agents as well. you have to. you have to draft for the future as well as the present. so with that being said and the fact that they have been trying to sign lee long term but havent made any progress, i think if we do take jordy nelson, we may see him as the second WR we drafted. again.. just pure speculation. maybe we wont and they already have their eyes on a FA wr that might be an option next year like Draftboy said. Who knows. I just dont have a good feeling with Evans already.

I understand that concern and the question does arise first and foremost is Evans a true #1 NFL WR, is he worth that kind of money?

If not I have confidence in the fact that next year players like;

Kenny McKelvin
Brandon Gibson
Brian Robiskie
Derrick Williams
Jaison Williams
Jarrett Dillard
Deon Butler
Tiquan Underwood
Aaron Kelly
Mohammed Massaquoi

are all seniors and...

Percy Harvin
Vidal Hazelton
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Brian Hartline
Brandon LaFell
Sam Shields
Jacoby Ford

are all juniors and possible early entrants. Thats just the draft possibilities...

tampabay25690
04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Nice job you are on the same page as me on the depth of the WR class this year. We could fill many holes with a draft like this...