PDA

View Full Version : Bills Mock after a trade w. Minnesota

TigerJ
04-13-2008, 09:25 PM
This is how I would like to see the Bills draft play out assuming a trade down with Minnesota as Pat Moran (and Al Fronczyk of East Coast Sports) suggest could happen.

Round 1 - Devin Thomas - He's been talkied about enough that I don't think this needs an explanation. Good size, great speed and a decent value at #17 overall.
Round 2 - Martellus Bennett-Enough speed to go with great size and athleticism. Huge upgrade at TE.
Round 3 - Jeremy Thompson - Adds to Buffalo's pass rush capabilities at a modest price.
Round 3 #82 overall (from Minnesota) Chevis Jackson
Buffalo also got an undisclosed pick in the 2009 draft in this trade.
He fills a need to get a little deeper at CB.
Round 4 - Steve Slaton - I think Buffalo can use a Steve Slaton type back. He's not going to replace Lynch, but when Lynch needs a rest or when Buffalo wants a quick little back to bring in on third and long, Slaton would be an ideal alternative. Think of him as a Shaud Williams with actual speed and talent.
Round 4 - Owen Schmidt - Yeah, they need a tough fullback.
Round 5 - Doug Legursky - They get their center here.
Round 6 - Marcus Monk - I agree with other 7 round mocks that have Buffalo picking 2 big receivers. Monk should be a great red zone threat.
Round 7 - Larry Grant - Good value who adds some depth to Buffalo's LB corps.
Round 7 - Darnell Terrell - Great size and good speed. Maybe he can play safety too.
Round 7- Corey Clark - DT from Jackson State. Depth player to compete for the fourth or fifth spot. He's got good size and quickness.

I don't do these too often, but I figure I have to give it a good try at least.

PECKERWOOD
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Instead of Slaton, you could probably pick up Jeremy Thompson with 4a. Once again, I've seen many mock drafts that have us taking a TE in the 2nd round, which I feel is highly unlikely. Why take a TE in round 2, when chances are there will be 3-4 really good ones left in round 4?

venis2k1
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Just sitting here thinking...most mocks have us taking 2 big WRs in this draft, one early(like a Sweed or Thomas) and one later (like a Monk).

almost anyway you see it, Parrish gets pushed to the 5th WR spot. With a cap hit in the 4 million dollar range(larger than Evans) you need to wonder if he could possibly be a june 1st cut.

Dr. Lecter
04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I doubt a late round pick would move ahead of Parrish this year. Parrish will fill the role of #4 WR, who will play in the slot when Reed is not in or when the Bills go 4-wide.

He will also continue to be a game changing punt returner.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
This is how I would like to see the Bills draft play out assuming a trade down with Minnesota as Pat Moran (and Al Fronczyk of East Coast Sports) suggest could happen.

Round 1 - Devin Thomas - He's been talkied about enough that I don't think this needs an explanation. Good size, great speed and a decent value at #17 overall.
Round 2 - Martellus Bennett-Enough speed to go with great size and athleticism. Huge upgrade at TE.
Round 3 - Jeremy Thompson - Adds to Buffalo's pass rush capabilities at a modest price.
Round 4 - Steve Slaton - I think Buffalo can use a Steve Slaton type back. He's not going to replace Lynch, but when Lynch needs a rest or when Buffalo wants a quick little back to bring in on third and long, Slaton would be an ideal alternative. Think of him as a Shaud Williams with actual speed and talent.
Round 6 - Marcus Monk - I agree with other 7 round mocks that have Buffalo picking 2 big receivers. Monk should be a great red zone threat.
Round 7 - Darnell Terrell - Great size and good speed. Maybe he can play safety too.
Round 7- Corey Clark - DT from Jackson State. Depth player to compete for the fourth or fifth spot. He's got good size and quickness.

I think that is the best mock i have seen so far this off season. Great work!

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Just sitting here thinking...most mocks have us taking 2 big WRs in this draft, one early(like a Sweed or Thomas) and one later (like a Monk).

almost anyway you see it, Parrish gets pushed to the 5th WR spot. With a cap hit in the 4 million dollar range(larger than Evans) you need to wonder if he could possibly be a june 1st cut.

i think reed is more likely to get pushed down.

also, if we do take a 2nd wr, there is a strong possibility that he would be the 5th wr and more of a project. nothing would really change from when price was on the field.

1. Evans
2. Rookie
3. Parrish in the slot
4. Reed in the other slot
5. 2nd Rookie.

mysticsoto
04-14-2008, 09:23 AM

I don't like the Slaton pick. I think we are fine at RB and would rather have used that on another WR prospect like maybe Hubbard. Then at 6 I might have gone after OT Thaddeus Coleman - who has the potential over time to even handle LT duties. He'd be a huge upgrade over Chambers right now and would lessen our worries should JP or Walker ever go down.

BTW, I doubt Darnell Terrell lasts until the 7th rd. And there are a number of other CBs that I might have chosen in the 3rd rd instead of Chevis Jackson - Tyvon Branch or maybe Terrell Thomas are much faster and better prospects.

Other than that, the draft picks look fine.

RockStar36
04-14-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure about Slaton. I was under the impression that the Bills were happy with Fred Jackson filling that role.

Confused
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I like it!!! good job. early doucet instead of monk?

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 11:50 AM
slaton is a baller. i would take him in a second.

there were probably like 3 games of WV that i watched out of more than 20, that slaton wasnt an absolute beast and the reason they won.

User Manuel
04-14-2008, 11:53 AM

I would be very satisfied with this draft.

DraftBoy
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
slaton is a baller. i would take him in a second.

there were probably like 3 games of WV that i watched out of more than 20, that slaton wasnt an absolute beast and the reason they won.

What about him makes you think his skill set will translate well? He's small, quick (but not fast), can only run outside, and has ball security issues. He'll be a 3rd down/scat back at the next level. Could he be effective? Yes but likely only in a WCO system.

TigerJ
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure about Slaton. I was under the impression that the Bills were happy with Fred Jackson filling that role.
I think the Bills are pretty happy with Fred Jackson. Slaton would be a role player more than a straight backup. I don't think the fourth round is too late for a role player.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 02:20 PM
What about him makes you think his skill set will translate well? He's small, quick (but not fast), can only run outside, and has ball security issues. He'll be a 3rd down/scat back at the next level. Could he be effective? Yes but likely only in a WCO system.

i dont know that i can put my finger on exactly what trait of his will translate well.. other than the fact that i stated.. he was always dominant.. not good.. dominant in almost all the games he played.

i could be dead wrong.. but i think he will end up being like brian westbrook. i really do.

go ahead and flame me.

:couch:

DraftBoy
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
i dont know that i can put my finger on exactly what trait of his will translate well.. other than the fact that i stated.. he was always dominant.. not good.. dominant in almost all the games he played.

i could be dead wrong.. but i think he will end up being like brian westbrook. i really do.

go ahead and flame me.

:couch:

Dont see it, Westbrook has a good bit of bulk to him while Slaton is a smaller slimmer back. I really dont think Slaton can take the pounding of the NFL.

Tatonka
04-14-2008, 11:55 PM
slaton is not a thin guy by any means.. he is not built like warrick dunn... but regardless.. i dont think he would have to take a pounding.. he would be a fill in guy.. like tiger said.. a role player who could turn into something more in spot duty.. just my opinion though..

every year there are players like that.. i mean terrell davis was too slow and couldnt block or catch.. hell, jones drew was too small.. he probably should have been a first rounder based on production... too many times people ignore what the tape shows.. and i just thnk that is the case with slaton.. i have seen him eat up a good VT defense so many times..

DraftBoy
04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
slaton is not a thin guy by any means.. he is not built like warrick dunn... but regardless.. i dont think he would have to take a pounding.. he would be a fill in guy.. like tiger said.. a role player who could turn into something more in spot duty.. just my opinion though..

every year there are players like that.. i mean terrell davis was too slow and couldnt block or catch.. hell, jones drew was too small.. he probably should have been a first rounder based on production... too many times people ignore what the tape shows.. and i just thnk that is the case with slaton.. i have seen him eat up a good VT defense so many times..

Ive seen the same tape and I see fumbles, I see an unwillingness to go up the middle, and I see hesitation. His speed will not be the same on the next level and he does have a good enough moves to make people miss. He could be a decent fill in guy but he'll never be a Jerious Norwood, or MJD imo.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Slaton a lot. He has had some ball security issues (which, as Tiki Barber showed, can be corrected), but he is a play-maker--when he gets the ball in his hands, especially in space, he can just make things happen.

But, if they are going to take another RB, I'm not sure that I would want to see them spend a 4th round pick on Slaton when they could probably get Justin Forsett, Xavier Omon or Thomas Brown in the 6th or later.