PDA

View Full Version : Offseason activity so far...

Phins054
04-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Well it looks like some interesting things are shaking in the AFC East.

Buffalo has had probably the busiest so far by trading Peerless and signing Takeo. It was nice to get a draft pick for Peerless. Sam Adams should help out as well.

Miami was fairly quiet but signing Thompson is like having a younger healthier Gadsden in the lineup. It looks like we will get Seau as well which will be a big upgrade for leadership and locker room presence. Of course the rumors about Griese never seem to dampen either.

The Jets got raped it seems which is not pretty to see but i am sure we will all like the results.

And NE looks to be standing Pat (no pun intended).

Any other thoughts or acquisitions that help/hurt anyone in the division???

justasportsfan
04-15-2003, 11:55 AM
It would be interesting to see what the fins paid for Seau. I wonder if they mortgaged their future on a player that is coming of his worst season due to injuries. He is undoubtedly a player that should give the fins what they lack, heart and leadership.

Pride
04-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Why do you say that Justa? He couldn't do it in 10+ years in San Diego!

They are just as bad as Miami fans.

The Natrix
04-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Miami sucks.

the leadership thing is overrated with Seau and as a player he is clearly on the downside of his career.

Thompson? Im scared, LMAO.

Z. Thomas is getting worse

Feidler sucks. Griese sucks. It would be the next RJ-Flutie.... Fiedleronians and Griese lovers battling it out on that dump called fin heaven and then eventually they will both wind up as backups elsewhere. Look at the influx of potentially great QBs coming in this year via the draft. Fiedler and Griese will quickly become backups due to process of elimination.

Miami just doesn't have the heart. Players look to sign there for the vacation type atmosphere. Seau found a nice retirement home.

Rickey is a great back but he is only one player (something that felon fans seem to always forget.) Corey Dillon is a great back but where are the Bengals at?

Any trash talk by felon fans is pretty much pointless because I am comletely confident that they will end up either #3 or #4, probably #4.

Bills and Pats WILL be a top the division. Don't get me wrong, Jets will still be competitive, probably better than Miami. Moss and Chrebet will step up nicely in Cole's absence. Pennington > Feidler.

Miami will not come close to winning a SB with the core players they have, they need to clean house, fire Wanny and build from the ground up.

Phins054
04-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Natrix...Why don't you let me know what you really think?!?

Were you this bad when the Bills were going to the SB???

Earthquake Enyart
04-15-2003, 12:25 PM
The Jets puzzle me. They have a lot of cap room, but haven't done much. :huh:

casdhf
04-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Colvin and Harrison to the Pats is pretty big

justasportsfan
04-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Pride
Why do you say that Justa? He couldn't do it in 10+ years in San Diego!

They are just as bad as Miami fans.

He couldn't do it by himself. I'm not saying Seau will have probowl nos. but you can't deny the fact that he is an upgrade. I'm not going to be biased as well into thinking Seau won't help.

I would've rather had the fins try to fix their O than their D. Their D was deceivingly the no 3 but couldn't play like one when it mattered most.

Phins054
04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

He couldn't do it by himself. I'm not saying Seau will have probowl nos. but you can't deny the fact that he is an upgrade. I'm not going to be biased as well into thinking Seau won't help.

I would've rather had the fins try to fix their O than their D. Their D was deceivingly the no 3 but couldn't play like one when it mattered most.

Very true...We did try to upgrade the O-line but Brockermeyer and the other guy we were looking at had health issues. We were going to make a run at Gandy but we weren't going to pay that kind of money that NO did, which I am fine with. I hate when we spend big money on free agents and they are busts.

Stewie
04-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Harrison to the pats is big, not cause he's better than the guy he replaced ( I think he's worse personally) but because he's going to injure someone in the division .. he always does..

Tatonka
04-15-2003, 09:51 PM
i hate the fact that people are totally disregarding the signing of CURTIS CONWAY!!!.. look at his numbers.. they are identical to coles numbers over the last two years.. he will be a fine replacement.. just doesnt have the long term presence that coles would have had.. pennington will be better.. cmart will be healthy.. the defense is unchanged and allowed 13 points a game at the end of last season.. they have TWO first round picks to fill the void at RG.. and whatever else they want, like WR..

the jets will be competing for the division champ spot.. just like the pats will..

the additions of colvin and harrison, plus having 2 first rounders and a new 3rd rounder for jones.. that is hardly standing pat imho.. if they are smart they will grab mcgahee or johnson with one pick and either a big WR or a DT with the other pick.. they should be strong..

miami is miami.. they are good every year.. seau is old, but still is good enough to be an upgrade over rodgers at WSL... their are too many other good players to worry about to focus on seau, so he will have some opportunities he wouldnt have in SD.. if miami is smart, they wont grab griese, if they even have the money to anyway.. take it from the bills.. 2 guys that think they should start is not always a good thing. and griese is NOT an obvious upgrade over fielder.

and the bills have added more than just spikes and adams.. posey could be a great signing, if he is the poor mans colvin like he was last season.. and sidney is a good signing to help the secondary in nickle situations.. as will reese.. which allows prioleau to move back to SS behind wire for more good depth.

that is just IMHO..

i honestly dont know how anyone can pick a favorite to win this division.. i think that everyone is just gonna beat the crap out of each other this season.. healthiest team at the finish line wins..

and Natrix.. lighten up on Crumbface there.. he is never offensive.. he came here to talk football, not ****..

Earthquake Enyart
04-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Gotta disagree with you T. Conway will disappear when it gets cold. He coule easily become a cancer in that locker room.

The Pats getting Colvin was huge. That guy is gonna be a major pain in the ass for us for years to come.

Phins054
04-16-2003, 10:09 AM
I agree about the Jets being up there with the rest of us...A LOT of people thought the Jets were going to suck last year and they end up being the division winner and the only team from this division in the playoffs.

It just seems like they have been picked apart by Washington and will have some holes to fill. Maybe Conway will be a factor and maybe he won't. I haven't seen enough of him to make an evaluation about that. But I do know that Coles could have been the franchise No. 1 for them.

Tatonka
04-16-2003, 01:53 PM
big deal.. the jets lost a RG.. guards can be replace much more easily than a good T or C.. they have 2 first round picks.. conway is a good wr.. i have had him in FF for the last two years.. he will be a good replacement for the time being.. moss is another year better, and they still have chrebet. they could use that other draft choice on a young wr to cover for conway in a year or two..

they lost a KR.. basically morton returned 2 kicks on us.. and nothing else.. big deal.. they can replace him with and have with johnson from miami, who was decent last year..

the only spot i can see that could be a problem is kicker.. brien is definately not as good as hall was for them last year.