PDA

View Full Version : Radical draft suggestion

kernowboy
04-15-2008, 06:32 AM
With the draft almost here, and with a seemingly lack of consensus about what position we should draft and indeed who should be that player, I reckon this would be an interesting suggestion.

With a great deal of depth in the draft there appears to be a lack of difference between some players who might go in R1 and someone going in R3
Some possible players available at No11 will be a significant reach due to possible injury, lack of performance at the combine/pro days, lack of consistent production in college (1 season wonders?)
Outside the top 7-8 there seem to be few players at positions we need who can make an immediate impact
Brian Brohm has apparently been moving up in the estimation of several teamsI reckon we should trade our No11 pick to Atlanta allowing them to draft Brian Brohm (?) and in return receive the following picks

No34 (from Oakland via Atlanta)
No37 (Atlanta)
No48 (from Houston via Atlanta)

Instead of one selection on a potential boom/bust player, we get 3 chances to get it right and if we consider the following positions there might be value in the decision.

WR. Kelly may well be available but having researched James Hardy more he seems to have cleaned up his act over the last 2 years and a 6ft6, 220lbs No2 who runs a 4.50 would be a great addition. Is he such an inferior option to Thomas or Sweed?

CB. We have all heard of DRC, McKeon, Jenkins, Cason, Flowers etc and indeed one or two of them might be available in R2, but almost certainly will be Justin King, a 6ft guy out of Penn St, who has run a 4.31 who will offer great depth in the secondary and maybe push to start by midseason

TE. Well, there is no-one who is really a R1 option, but with the additional selections in R2, we could even grab 2 TEs - automatically they will be upgrades over Anderson and Johnson

and then we can also consider other areas.

DL. With the injury history of Stroud and McCargo, selecting Sims or Moore wouldn't hurt, or a DE like Quentin Groves or Lawrence Wilson

OL. It is quite possible we can get depth here, a guard like McGlynn or Zuttah ... and allow us to then go for a C in R3.

RB. If there was a chance to nab a RB like Johnson, Forte, or Rice could we pass it up? As the Packers have proven, you can never have too many.

Trading down yet stockpiling 4 picks on Day1 will allow us to draft quality but not overpay for it. I would really like to see the following

R2a James Hardy WR
R2b Dre Moore DT/DE
R2c (ours) Justin King CB
R2d John Carlson TE

We have filled all our key roles with quality on Day1, plus had a luxury pick for depth

For those interested I'd then go

R3 Jeremy Zuttah G/C
R4a Owen Schmitt FB
R4b Jamey Richard C/G
R5 Trevor Scott DE
R6 Adarius Bowman WR
R7a Kyle Wright QB
R7b BPA

jamze132
04-15-2008, 06:47 AM
So we could take 3 WRs with the first 3 picks... ya know, to make sure we get it right...

kernowboy
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I think the pressure of being a high draft pick in a difficult pro position to learn leads to a large amount of busts.

We could actually go for 3 WRs on Day1 if we wanted to .... surely not all 3 would be busts? ... or 2 WRs and 2 TEs?

Or we could fill our specific needs of WR, TE and CB on Day1, taking advantage of the extraordinary depth in the draft and then take advantage of best player available for the rest of the draft, at worst restocking the special teams and at best giving ourselves quality depth and future starters in several positions.

Don't Panic
04-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Not a terrible idea... I'm all about the tradedown (unless they go Albert), so if this is the best of what's available, I say jump on it. Four guys in the top 50? Hard to beat... especially if you do your homework and draft well.

Mitchy moo
04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
In this scenario, the Bills lose out on Harvey and that would upset me. On the other side of the coin, we get 3 good darts to throw at that board instead of one.

Trading down has not been the Bills M.O.

BigGabes23
04-15-2008, 07:24 AM
I though of the same thing... But only if Matt Ryan somehow fell, which seems less and less likely.

I still think the 11th pick holds the best posibility for a trade down.

Minnesota (for Harvey)
Any team looking for Mendenhall who thinks Deven might take him
Arizona, looking for top CB
Houston, looking for OT. If Braden Albert or Ryan Claddy is available, I still think this move makes the ost sense.

Tatonka
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
just an fyi on justin king.. he is an elite athlete but not an elite cb. he plays all on ability.. he was considered an underacheiver at penn st becaue he never lived up to the hype he came to school with.

that being said.. he still may be good.. he could end up being an elite cb if he puts it all together, but he has not really shown any sign of doing that.

DraftBoy
04-15-2008, 07:47 AM
I dont think your trade adds up value wise. Could be wrong, I dont have the value chart in front of me.

And Atlanta would never trade up that high for Brohm, they may be able to get him in Rd 2. Groves isnt a 1st-2nd Round prospect he's 2nd-3rd.

ddaryl
04-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm definitely on board with the trade down scenario. To me it seems like the best thing we can do to address our needs and depth issues.

kernowboy
04-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I dont think your trade adds up value wise. Could be wrong, I dont have the value chart in front of me.

And Atlanta would never trade up that high for Brohm, they may be able to get him in Rd 2. Groves isnt a 1st-2nd Round prospect he's 2nd-3rd.

I have read from two separate commentators that Brohm could go as high as the No14 pick and Chicago due to the weakness of this years QB draft and next.

The Bears may feel they can address other issues such as the OL, WR and CB later on in the draft and it might be that if we don't ask too much in terms of pick value, a team may move up.

Really only Ryan and Brohm can start from Day1 and there are some teams who do have 'ambivalent QB' situations such as the Panthers, Bears, Buccaneers and Falcons.

Jan Reimers
04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not convinced that Hardy is the kind of polished receiver who can contribute immediately, which we really need at this point. I think King is the same type of player - great athlete, but more of a developmental prospect.

But I like the others, including the 2 UB guys.

patmoran2006
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Brohm at 11??????