PDA

View Full Version : 10 Day Away Mock

jdbillsfan
04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Since we are 10 days away from the draft, it seems like we should have a mock.

I wanted to project the top 11 picks.

1) Dolphins - OT Jake Long - Already working on a contract
2) Rams - DE Vernon Gholston - Speed guy to compliment Carriker
3) Falcons - DT Glenn Dorsey - Plug the middle
4) Raiders - RB McFadden - Seem to be set at DL and Corner. Fargas and Bush will be tough, but can't pass on McFadden
5) Chiefs - DT Ellis - Chiefs probably should go QB, but Ellis is the choice
6) Jets - DE Chris Long - Jets suck and so does Long. I am Bills and VT biased.
7) Patriots - CB Leodis McKelvin - Pats like and need physcial corners. Can do multiple things which they like as well
8) Ravens - QB Matt Ryan - I like Brohm better, but I think the Ravens would target Ryan. Maybe Mayo or Groves?
9) Bengals - DE Derrick Harvey - Replace Justin Smith. Antwan Odom signed, but I still think they need more help.
10) Saints - DB DRC - Signed Randall Gay, but I think they still need to address the position.

11) Bills - WR Devin Thomas. - I like Limas and Hardy as well, so ideally I would like a trade down, but sticking with no trades, I'll go with Thomas. Fills a big need.

Mr. Miyagi
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm still not sold on Thomas. If we're going to reach for a WR at that spot, I'd like it to be Sweed, a more polished and experience WR.

patmoran2006
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Flip Flop 2 and 6 and I think you could be right, at least it makes sense.

But Long is NOT lasting until pick 6. The rams will take him, or Dorsey. FARTHEST long would fall IMO would be four.

This is very VERY hard to peg the Bills pick this year.. If there was a more clear cut WR it would be easy.. Some people still think Kelly is the best WR in draft (me included) and some like Sweed.

mysticsoto
04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Since we are 10 days away from the draft, it seems like we should have a mock.

I wanted to project the top 11 picks.

1) Dolphins - OT Jake Long - Already working on a contract
2) Rams - DE Vernon Gholston - Speed guy to compliment Carriker
3) Falcons - DT Glenn Dorsey - Plug the middle
4) Raiders - RB McFadden - Seem to be set at DL and Corner. Fargas and Bush will be tough, but can't pass on McFadden
5) Chiefs - DT Ellis - Chiefs probably should go QB, but Ellis is the choice
6) Jets - DE Chris Long - Jets suck and so does Long. I am Bills and VT biased.
7) Patriots - CB Leodis McKelvin - Pats like and need physcial corners. Can do multiple things which they like as well
8) Ravens - QB Matt Ryan - I like Brohm better, but I think the Ravens would target Ryan. Maybe Mayo or Groves?
9) Bengals - DE Derrick Harvey - Replace Justin Smith. Antwan Odom signed, but I still think they need more help.
10) Saints - DB DRC - Signed Randall Gay, but I think they still need to address the position.

11) Bills - WR Devin Thomas. - I like Limas and Hardy as well, so ideally I would like a trade down, but sticking with no trades, I'll go with Thomas. Fills a big need.

I'm not sure about Jake going to the Dolphins:

The word on the street is that Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long doesn't want to play for the Dolphins, who continue to negotiate with him as the first overall draft choice. There's a special honor in being the first pick so Long's agents continue to talk.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8036808/The-pressure-is-on-for-Pacman

Can you blame him? :chuckle:

hydro
04-16-2008, 09:47 AM
:rofl:

Tatonka
04-16-2008, 09:47 AM
anyone ever look at Long's numbers prior to his senior year? I really dont understand why he is considered SO great.

2004 - 1 sack
2005 - 2 sacks
2006 - 4 sacks
2007 - 14 sacks

i am just not as pumped about him as most other are. he reminds me Justin Smith who is good but not special. the 2nd overall pick should be special.

ddaryl
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't think the Bills go WR at #11.... The only way we get a 1st rd reciever is via trade down scenario.

otherwise DE or CB at #11 seems to be the value pick.

but I'm still envisioning a trade down on day #1

bigbub2352
04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Chris Long is overhyped cause his dad does radio shack commericals

Captain gameboy
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
anyone ever look at Long's numbers prior to his senior year? I really dont understand why he is considered SO great.

2004 - 1 sack
2005 - 2 sacks
2006 - 4 sacks
2007 - 14 sacks

i am just not as pumped about him as most other are. he reminds me Justin Smith who is good but not special. the 2nd overall pick should be special.

I have watched him since he was 13, and extremely closely the last three years. Nearly all of the UVA games.

I fully agree.

alohabillsfan
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
If the Bills stay at 11 then I think the pick is Derrick Harvey, no WR is woth it and you can find #2 WR later. CB could be a pick, but the Cover 2 allows you to pick corners later is the D-line is effective. Harvey will be a 3rd down sack machine!

RD (1) DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
RD (2) TE Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M
RD (3) CB Zack Bowman, Nebraska
RD (4) WR Paul Hubbard, Wisconsin
RD (4) C Mike Pollak, Arizona State
RD (5) FB Owen Schmitt, West Virginia
RD (6) QB Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
RD (7) OT Brian Stamper, Vanderbilt
RD (7) RB Tim Hightower, Richmond
RD (7) FS Joe Fields, FS, Syracuse

Lone Stranger
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Your projected top 10 picks are disasterous to the Bills. Some players whom I expected to be available when the Bills pick are gone. I would try hard to trade down at this point as I do not see anyone left truly worthy of the 11th selection.

Captain gameboy
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
By the way.

In my view Long was over hyped his first two years because of his dad.

Not any more.

The kid had a blowout senior year.

He is now over hyped because his technique is near perfect and he is a zero maintenance prospect as well as knocking it out of the park at the combine.

My thing with him is upside.
I don't think that in three years he will be as good as others who are available.

Jan Reimers
04-16-2008, 10:49 AM
If the Bills stay at 11 then I think the pick is Derrick Harvey, no WR is woth it and you can find #2 WR later. CB could be a pick, but the Cover 2 allows you to pick corners later is the D-line is effective. Harvey will be a 3rd down sack machine!

I think Paul Hubbard will not be anywhere near the kind of receiver who will contribute immediately. We need a guy who can give us something right away.

DraftBoy
04-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Hubbard is going to need a year or 2 to adjust for sure

jdbillsfan
04-16-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm still not sold on Thomas. If we're going to reach for a WR at that spot, I'd like it to be Sweed, a more polished and experience WR.

I agree with you. I was just trying to predict who the Bills will pick. It may sound crazy, but I thought they were looking for players who were more used to cold weather conditions, among other things.

jdbillsfan
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM

I had Harvey going to the Bengals. If he is available, I think he would be a good choice for the Bills.

Mr. Miyagi
04-16-2008, 11:29 AM

2004 - 1 sack
2005 - 2 sacks
2006 - 4 sacks
2007 - 14 sacks

One word.

Howie.

Mr. Miyagi
04-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree with you. I was just trying to predict who the Bills will pick. It may sound crazy, but I thought they were looking for players who were more used to cold weather conditions, among other things.
Such as Roscoe Parrish from Miami, Josh Reed from LSU, Marshawn Lynch from Cal, and Trent Edwards from Stanford? All those cold weather players?

No offense but I really don't think that matters. If a guy is going to be good, he's going to be good regardless of weather. I don't know of any big name college player that suddenly can't play in the Pros because he can't catch in the cold.

jdbillsfan
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Such as Roscoe Parrish from Miami, Josh Reed from LSU, Marshawn Lynch from Cal, and Trent Edwards from Stanford? All those cold weather players?

No offense but I really don't think that matters. If a guy is going to be good, he's going to be good regardless of weather. I don't know of any big name college player that suddenly can't play in the Pros because he can't catch in the cold.

I thought I read a quote or something from Jauron or someone, in the offseason after the bad performances against the Browns and Giants.

Obviously they can't go back in time to change the players on their roster, I just thought the Browns game especially made them think about it.