PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone considered the possibility....

Mahdi
04-16-2008, 12:59 PM
... that Devin Thomas WILL be the best player available by the time the Bills pick?

Its not crazy... What if, both Longs, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, McKelvin, Jenkins, Harvey, Rivers and McFadden are all gone by the time we pick? Which is what im betting will happen BTW. At that point we will be left with DRC, Ryan, Brandon Albert, Clady, Mendenhall, Merling etc....

IMO that makes Devin Thomas the BPA and completely justifies our pick. Sure some of you will agrue that DRC is the BPA but the only reason that Devin Thomas isnt seen as a top 10 pick is because he only had 1 year of production. If he had 2 years of 79 receptions, 1200 yards and 8 TDs he would be a top 10 candidate. Now the knock on DRC is that he is a small schooler and hasnt played against top competition. Both players have knocks so you cant argue that DRC is the better prospect especially considering his draft stock only took off after the senior bowl week. And then consider that WR is a much bigger need and Thomas becomes the clear-cut favourite.

Just a thought....

justasportsfan
04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
based on need, he would be the BPA for us.

EDS
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think if that scenario did in fact come to fruition then the BPA would, in my mind, be either Clady or Albert.

Mr. Miyagi
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
You're making the assumption that Thomas is the best WR in this class, over Sweed, Kelly, and Hardy.

Jan Reimers
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think if that scenario did in fact come to fruition then the BPA would, in my mind, be either Clady or Albert.
I sure hope they can get downfield and catch the ball.:bandwagon

raphael120
04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I think half the battle is figuring out if a WR is worth the 11th pick...the other half is ---- ok...now that we decided a WR IS worth the 11th round pick...which WR is it??? Sweed, Thomas...i could go on and on.

Mahdi
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
You're making the assumption that Thomas is the best WR in this class, over Sweed, Kelly, and Hardy.
Yes. I think Thomas' versatility is what puts him ahead of the rest. He has the straigh-line speed, hands, size and leaping ability all in one. What I also like is his short area quickness that gives him an edge over any other receiver in the draft. He's also a returner.

DraftBoy
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I think he's like 20ish on my big board so thats impossible imo.

Mahdi
04-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I think he's like 20ish on my big board so thats impossible imo.
Yeah 20ISH.... which means that a lot of teams probably have him rated either higher or lower. Point is... players like Clady, Albert, DRC, Merling, Mendenhall, Ryan are all players that can easily be selected at 15 or lower. Once you get passed the first 10 I mentionned there is really no consensus 11th pick, it could be anyone and IMO teams will be drafting for need after our pick. If you need OL you will have Clady or Albert, if you need RB you have Mendenhall and Stuart, if you need DL you have Merling and Balmer, CB will have DRC, Talib and Cason and WR will have Sweed, Thomas, Kelly and Hardy. It will all depend on how a team values that player.

baalworship
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
If he is the best receiver in the draft and there is a big drop on what we could get in the 2nd or 3rd then take him.

That's the question though...how much better is Thomas than the 4th or 5th or 6th receiver...

EDS
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I sure hope they can get downfield and catch the ball.:bandwagon

Wasn't the topic "who is the best player available"? Obviously need is another factor to consider altogether, and equally obviously the Bills have a dire need for help at wide receiver.

FlyingDutchman
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
I just dont get where all this love for Thomas ever came from. Sure he had a productive year, but come on.....

Ickybaluky
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't even think Thomas is the best WR in the draft. He is a #2 WR with a high risk factor.

If he pans out, he could be another Santonio Holmes (which isn't bad). If not, he will be Robert Meacham. Guys like him are boom or bust. They look the part, but you don't know how they will translate to the NFL.

I can think of a number of guys at other positions who I'd take over Thomas because not only do they rate as high but they are far less risky.

Personally, I think every WR in this draft is risky. I don't see guys who are worthy of top-15/20 status. Ultimately, this will be the kind of draft where some WR picked in the 2nd or later will out-perform the guys picked higher. Teams with needs at WR need to take that into consideration.

DraftBoy
04-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't even think Thomas is the best WR in the draft. He is a #2 WR with a high risk factor.

If he pans out, he could be another Santonio Holmes (which isn't bad). If not, he will be Robert Meacham. Guys like him are boom or bust. They look the part, but you don't know how they will translate to the NFL.

I can think of a number of guys at other positions who I'd take over Thomas because not only do they rate as high but they are far less risky.

Personally, I think every WR in this draft is risky. I don't see guys who are worthy of top-15/20 status. Ultimately, this will be the kind of draft where some WR picked in the 2nd or later will out-perform the guys picked higher. Teams with needs at WR need to take that into consideration.

While its still to early to write the book on Meacham, I agree with the sentiment. I like would not take a WR in this class before 25 and I have Thomas as my #1 ranked WR, but thats more by default then by skill.

patmoran2006
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
... that Devin Thomas WILL be the best player available by the time the Bills pick?

Its not crazy... What if, both Longs, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, McKelvin, Jenkins, Harvey, Rivers and McFadden are all gone by the time we pick? Which is what im betting will happen BTW. At that point we will be left with DRC, Ryan, Brandon Albert, Clady, Mendenhall, Merling etc....

IMO that makes Devin Thomas the BPA and completely justifies our pick. Sure some of you will agrue that DRC is the BPA but the only reason that Devin Thomas isnt seen as a top 10 pick is because he only had 1 year of production. If he had 2 years of 79 receptions, 1200 yards and 8 TDs he would be a top 10 candidate. Now the knock on DRC is that he is a small schooler and hasnt played against top competition. Both players have knocks so you cant argue that DRC is the better prospect especially considering his draft stock only took off after the senior bowl week. And then consider that WR is a much bigger need and Thomas becomes the clear-cut favourite.

Just a thought....
if that was the scenario, Albert would CLEARLY be the best player available.

DraftBoy
04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
if that was the scenario, Albert would CLEARLY be the best player available.

Just for ****s and giggles, where is Albert on your big board?

Night Train
04-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I think Albert is 10-15 spots higher, minimum, on most team boards.

patmoran2006
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Just for ****s and giggles, where is Albert on your big board?5th.. Going to KC as of today IMO. He's my second OL overall on the Pat Moran Big Drunk Board

Mahdi
04-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I think Albert is 10-15 spots higher, minimum, on most team boards.
I definitely agree about Albert being a top 10 prospect. In my last mock had him going to KC at 5 actually. But the fact is... if he falls out of the top 10 and lands somewhere in the 10-15 range it wouldnt be a shock. My point is that after the top 10 players its wide-open as to who the BPA is.

patmoran2006
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I dont think Albert would get past the Bills at 11....

he would help our offense instantly more than any WR or TE in this class. No way we wouldn't draft him.. I highly doubt anyone at OBD expects him to be there though. He'd give us one of the best OL's in the NFL

PECKERWOOD
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it starts in the trenches, if Albert is available then we need to take him at #11. There WILL be a good WR available when we pick in round 2. No WR in round 1 unless we can trade down.