PDA

View Full Version : Bills should try it again with Wallace

YardRat
04-17-2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/10910

The Bills’ best option to serve as the fourth man in the defensive end carousel for 2008 is the man who was supposed to fill that role in 2007. Al Wallace got hurt about 12 seconds into his Bills career, cruelly landing on injured reserve during the preseason and of course never getting a chance to contribute. Yet, there’s nothing keeping the parties from mutually giving it another go this season. Once more, this franchise should attempt to employ Wallace, a free agent who would be as comfortable with this team as Marshawn Lynch feels while hanging out at Applebee’s and Dave & Buster’s.

Night Train
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Teams usually wait until the draft is complete to add players like Wallace. He'll get another shot, if he passes a physical.

YardRat
04-17-2008, 05:58 AM
His age may hold him back, especially if we get a guy in the draft. I think the article said he was going to be 34.

madness
04-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd rather have a rookie in the mix.

OpIv37
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I don't see his age as a problem because he'd be in a back-up/rotational role and wouldn't take a huge amount of abuse. Plus, he has at least an introduction to the system- possibly more if he stayed around the team while on IR. And he's cheap.

However, I concur with madness- if there's a rookie DE available, it makes more sense to try to groom him rather than stick with a guy where the best-case scenario is a sufficient back up for 2 more years before he retires.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I would have no problem with him, but a rookie would be better.

Of course the Bills could keep 4 DE's, use Wallace for the first half of the year while the rookie learns the NFL and the system, especially if the rookie is a mid or late round pick.

HHURRICANE
04-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, if we sign him as our #4 DE we can add a .5 to this years sack total.

God forbid that we would try and have 4 good players at the DE position. This team is becoming a joke.

don137
04-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I think Wallace will be more of an August invite and not a spring invite..He's a very good player but age and his injury have to be a concern...
He had a great gig last year. Got hurt right after getting signed so he got paid and then helped coached high school football here in Charlotte after his injury last fall.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, if we sign him as our #4 DE we can add a .5 to this years sack total.

God forbid that we would try and have 4 good players at the DE position. This team is becoming a joke.

Yes, most teams have an All-pro at #4 DE.

#4 DE is usually a fringe guy in the NFL, especially in the day of FA. A guy like Wallace is what he is - a fring depth guy that fills out the depth chart.

bigbub2352
04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Sorry, but i dont want anything to do with Al Wallace, there are plenty of guys that can be signed a little younger and just as cheap that will provide a little more than Al Wallace, he is done, probably not gonna play this year

Sign Rucker over him anyday

The Jokeman
04-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry, but i dont want anything to do with Al Wallace, there are plenty of guys that can be signed a little younger and just as cheap that will provide a little more than Al Wallace, he is done, probably not gonna play this year

Sign Rucker over him anyday
Rucker might command a higher salary and to be honest we're already over paying for two of our DEs (Kelsay and Denney) I don't think we need to overpay for a depth guy. I'd welcome Wallace back but think be wise to draft someone like Kenny Iwebema with one of our two 4th Rounders or our 5th Rounder.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
The Bills should give him another shot, he is worth it.

Signed,
Al Wallace's mother