• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills plan on playing board game

The Bills would like to address needs with all 10 of their picks, but they won’t deviate from their philosophy of drafting players with the high-est value based on how their board is set up.

They got the best of both worlds last season when running back Marshawn Lynch fell to them with the 12th overall pick. They believe the same approach will work again.

“We’re still treating the board for value,” Modrak said. “It’d be easy to say we won’t place any running back high because we took running back high last year. But we’re still going through the process. That’s where you make the most progress, put people up there now and not try and identify a need.”

“If there’s a position that is strikingly open to us . . . the leaning is going to be towards that person,” Modrak added. “Now, the big difference is you can’t jump way out of value just to satisfy a momentary kind of deal. You grab someone you think is a fourth rounder in the second round, or something like that, to me if you do that every once in a while you get lucky. But you’re swinging and missing more than you want to.”
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Bills plan on playing board game

Never, ever reach for a need. Be true to your rankings.

We'll get a WR,TE and other supposed needs during the weekend draft process. The Blls won't join the Panic Club and have studied the middle/late round prospects just as much as the top ranked guys that everyone knows about.

We'll be fine.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tom Modrak
      “If there’s a position that is strikingly open to us . . . the leaning is going to be towards that person,”

“Now, the big difference is you can’t jump way out of value just to satisfy a momentary kind of deal. You grab someone you think is a fourth rounder in the second round... "
      How can you just ignore what he really said here?

Some of you are very, very good at making statements sound like they justify your position. But sometimes there's no escaping the true words.

It's clear to me that it will be WR with our 1st pick. Reaching a few picks is not the same as picking "way out of value"... nor is it selecting a projected 4th rounder in the 2nd.

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

I really liked what Modrak said.....We'll be fine come draft day, I'm sure of it.
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

"Reaching" means entire rounds
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

When the Bills set up their board, both need and value carry weight. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about how far they will drop down the board in other areas (measurables, college production, character, etc.) to fill a need, but if there are three or four players who are slightly better in terms of those other factors, I don't think Buffalo would hesitate to draft the fifth guy down if he filled a need. Would they reach down ten players? Twenty? I don't know. I think it could depend on circumstances. How big a gap is there? If there is still only a small spread in terms of ability, they would fill the need. If the gap is bigger, maybe not. Drafting is both an art and a science.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
            X