PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan on the draft & Lee Evans

YardRat
04-17-2008, 05:52 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/325338.html

Yes, the Bills need an impact receiver. In fact, they have two pressing needs at wide receiver. They need to find a big receiver, someone who can function as a No. 2. And they need to decide whether they’re keeping Lee Evans around long-term as their No. 1 guy.

I’m not sure who the Bills will take at No. 11, but it’s not likely to be a receiver. My guess is they’ll go defense, probably cornerback. Then they’ll hope a good wideout falls to them at No. 41, or package a couple of picks to move up in the second round.

This is good news — if you’re Lee Evans. Evans is heading into the walk year of his contract. The Bills didn’t sign a top receiver in free agency. If they don’t take a receiver in the first round, there’s no logical successor to Evans. That means he’s still their man, to a point.

The problem is signing him. Evans has leverage now. He knows that wide receiver salaries have gone into the stratosphere.

Confused
04-17-2008, 06:15 AM
I hope you are wrong about that whole 1st round WR thing....

justasportsfan
04-17-2008, 07:12 AM
we don't need any wr's. Ask TDummy . Great qb's can do it all by themselves.

Don't Panic
04-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Total hindsight, but I wish the Bills would have looked to re-up Evans immediately after the season. That way we could have saved a little coin in the process. Waiting has almost certainly cost us $$$, which is not a desired result for a fiscally minded front office.

Philagape
04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Total hindsight, but I wish the Bills would have looked to re-up Evans immediately after the season. That way we could have saved a little coin in the process. Waiting has almost certainly cost us $$$, which is not a desired result for a fiscally minded front office.

Give them a break, it's not like there are other pro teams in Buffalo that did that ..... oh wait .....

trapezeus
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Evans knows he has a chance to play well and get a better contract from a better team. he knows this. Even 5 months ago, he knew this, so there was no way he was going to sign a light contract before a bunch of free agents sign. It's wishful thinking that an Agent would let his player sign for the cheap.

Secondly It seems like Evans really doesn't want to be here. he seems to have the least faith in this team, and unless he gets 5-10 touches in the first 5 games and we're winning more than losing, i think he mentally is going to check out. because he might be willing to take a smaller contract to be on a contender, but he won't sacrifice his playing time with a lowly bill team that tossed his pal under the bus.

Bill Brasky
04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't see him resigning.

1 - would you want to resign here after dealing with what he's dealt with so far here?
2 - he's a big supporter of jp. jp is no longer the man here. a wr will not stick around if the qb he's supported is thrown under the bus.
3 - this organization has proven it will not resign to big deals (NC, Moulds, Pat Williams)
4 - our offense is still rebuilding, i doubt he wants to spend his entire career in rebuilding mode

Bill Cody
04-17-2008, 09:51 AM
we don't need any wr's. Ask TDummy . Great qb's can do it all by themselves.

Super Bowls can and have been won with great defense and a running game. Can you win a SB with a mediocre defense and great WR's? Other than the Colts 2 years ago, and I'd argue they were playing great D in the playoffs, the answer is no. We do need receivers but we need a pass rush even more.

justasportsfan
04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Bowls can and have been won with great defense and a running game. Can you win a SB with a mediocre defense and great WR's? Other than the Colts 2 years ago, and I'd argue they were playing great D in the playoffs, the answer is no. We do need receivers but we need a pass rush even more.
Go argue with TDummy.He thinks qb's can do it by themselves.

I've stated in another thread that Cj + Whosyourmomma hasn't won anything.

Mr. Miyagi
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd HATE to lose Evans. He's a great receiver, great work ethics, a class guy. He's got Marvin Harrison written all over him. Letting him go will be a HUGE mistake.

Pay the man and lock him up forever please.

John Doe
04-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't see him resigning.

1 - would you want to resign here after dealing with what he's dealt with so far here?
2 - he's a big supporter of jp. jp is no longer the man here. a wr will not stick around if the qb he's supported is thrown under the bus.
3 - this organization has proven it will not resign to big deals (NC, Moulds, Pat Williams)
4 - our offense is still rebuilding, i doubt he wants to spend his entire career in rebuilding mode

What Evans has dealt with so far has been erratic QB play, and J.P. has been as erratic as any QB that he has played with here.

I have not read any quotes by him recently about wanting to play only if J.P. is the QB.

Offhand, I don't know of any situations where a reciever has left a franchise because an erratic QB has been demoted, friend or not.

According to most members of this board, the organization has recently proven that it will overpay veteren players (Schobel, Kelsay, Royal, Reed, Denney) along with redoing the contracts of some others as well (Crowell, McGee).

The offense now has a solid line a good running back or 2, and a promising QB. It only lacks a wide receiver or possibly a tight end (the jury is still out on Schouman).

Pay Evans market value and he will stay.

yordad
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
If Lee isn't re-signed long term this offseason, we will be going into the season many millions under cash to cap. And, I will be completely F'IN pissed we weren't doing all we could have to make our team better. And, No F'in Way Will I Buy One F'in Ticket, Or Even Buy One F'in Tee Shirt If We Are 30+ Million Under Cash To Cap.

TacklingDummy
04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Anyone who thinks Lee is going to sign here after this year is only fooling themselves. He is as good as gone. And that is why the Bills will be drafting WR with the first pick.

yordad
04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone who thinks Lee is going to sign here after this year is only fooling themselves. He is as good as gone. And that is why the Bills will be drafting WR with the first pick.Ahem... franchise tag.

YardRat
04-17-2008, 06:49 PM
It depends entirely, IMO, on what Lee wants first, the numbers he puts up second, and how successful the team is this season third.

Michael82
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone who thinks Lee is going to sign here after this year is only fooling themselves. He is as good as gone. And that is why the Bills will be drafting WR with the first pick.
They will be drafting two WRs this year. One at the end of the 1st round via trade and one in the 4th or 5th round.

OpIv37
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Cash to cap. We've been saving money and staying out of cap jail for three years now.

If we don't use the space to keep a player like Evans, what the **** was the point (other than lining Ralph's pockets).

PECKERWOOD
04-17-2008, 11:35 PM

:bandwagon

I'm not willing to give up the farm for Evans, but I am willing to franchise him until we find a replacement.

TacklingDummy
04-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Ahem... franchise tag.

Would he be worth it?

Luisito23
04-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Would he be worth it?

Definetly not, but since Crowell will probably be resigned, who else are we gonna use the FT on?

Bill Brasky
04-18-2008, 09:30 AM
What Evans has dealt with so far has been erratic QB play, and J.P. has been as erratic as any QB that he has played with here.

I have not read any quotes by him recently about wanting to play only if J.P. is the QB.

Offhand, I don't know of any situations where a reciever has left a franchise because an erratic QB has been demoted, friend or not.

According to most members of this board, the organization has recently proven that it will overpay veteren players (Schobel, Kelsay, Royal, Reed, Denney) along with redoing the contracts of some others as well (Crowell, McGee).

The offense now has a solid line a good running back or 2, and a promising QB. It only lacks a wide receiver or possibly a tight end (the jury is still out on Schouman).

Pay Evans market value and he will stay.
They overpaid those vets because nobody else was dumb enough to.

You really think Ralph, Modrak, or Brandon (whoever the hell is in charge now) will pay market value for the one player on the roster who's regarded league-wide as a top-tier player?

Last season Lee said on more than one occasion that JP gave us the best chance to win. If he feels that way, and the best man for the job is (in his eyes) on the bench, why would he stay? Esp considering he's already wasted the first half of his short career on a terrible team.

RockStar36
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
If they really plan on losing him they might as well franchise him and trade him. You can't let someone of his status walk away for nothing.

I think they need to sign him though. Players like that are worth the money if they truly want to make the playoffs and more.

Bill Brasky
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM
If they really plan on losing him they might as well franchise him and trade him. You can't let someone of his status walk away for nothing.

Again... I give you: Pat Williams, Eric Moulds, Nate Clements

John Doe
04-18-2008, 05:33 PM
They overpaid those vets because nobody else was dumb enough to.

You really think Ralph, Modrak, or Brandon (whoever the hell is in charge now) will pay market value for the one player on the roster who's regarded league-wide as a top-tier player?

I think that they feel that Schobel and Dockery are top players that they pay them as such. I think that it indicates that they will pay big money for a number of players that they want. I don't think that any team takes a poll of the other teams in the league to validate their opinion when they offer contracts to players.

Last season Lee said on more than one occasion that JP gave us the best chance to win. If he feels that way, and the best man for the job is (in his eyes) on the bench, why would he stay? Esp considering he's already wasted the first half of his short career on a terrible team.

I don't care what Lee said last season. He has not expressed those sentiments since that time so he must have gotten over it. If it still bothered him then he would be bringing it up constantly.

I don't think that Evans has wasted his career at all. He has gained valuable playing time experience, put up some numbers, has avoided serious injury, and is now positioned to make a lot of money if he goes to a different team next season or is re-signs with the Bills.

If he re-ups his contract with the Bills before the season, then he gets his money now instead of a year down the line - a year druing which he risks an injury that could ruin his payday. There are also good prospects for success here: an vastly improved Defense, a strong offensive line, up and coming players at QB and running back, great special teams.