PDA

View Full Version : A Big-Time Convo I had With a Draft Guy Last Night

patmoran2006
04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Last night I had a 2+ hour conversation with a guy named Rob who works not only in the media for a living, but specifically for a major draft website. Let me just say that much more than me or most of you, he knows exactly what he’s talking about. I’ll note that last year he called the Willis McGahee trade (the team and the compensation) two weeks before it happened, and he also correctly called us moving back up and getting Paul Posluszny. In other words, he’s not Skooby’s “rich friend” (sorry Skoob, had to) Of course that don’t mean he’s right everytime he says something (who is), but I’ll tell you that I trust his sources and knowledge far more than anyone else, and that includes most of the “celebrity” (Kiper, McShay) draft experts.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Here are some notes I took and things I’ve been informed of, in no particular order. You take it for what it’s worth. I guess I’ll have to revist this thread on Monday April 28<SUP>th</SUP>.<o:p></o:p>

If the Bills keep the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, you can forget about WR. You can also pretty much write off DRC and especially Mike Jenkins. From what I’ve been told; the Bills are locked into one of three players; Leodis McKelvin, Bryan Albert, and Derrick Harvey. They definitely expect Albert to be gone and probably McKelvin too. That would leave their decision to be if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Harvey</st1:City></st1:place> is worth the 11<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Also stated the obvious, that <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> will definitely take a WR with one of their first two picks. However, from what he’s gathered, the person Modrak likes the most right now, by FAR is neither Devin Thomas or Malcom Kelly. It’s actually Limas Sweed.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
He then laid out several trade scenarios, which I suppose make sense.<o:p></o:p>

He said if the Bills stand pat at #11 they will definitely go defense with the pick unless Albert is still on the board (I don’t think he will be either). I (this is me not him with the opinion) think McKelvin is gone for sure. So it would be either Harvey or DRC. But he gave STRONG indication the Bills will NOT draft a WR with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Anyway. He told me if they keep the pick #11 I could bet the house they will be trading back up for the third consecutive year to get a wide receiver. He even gave me the TEAM that would be most likely. It would be <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> with the 25<SUP>th</SUP> pick. He pointed out their first round value at #25 is 720 points. Ironicially, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>’s 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rounder is worth the exact same 720 points. However (don’t know if ya’ll like this) but the WR we’d be trading up for wouldn’t be Sweed. It would be.. Malcom Kelly. The reasoning is Sweed will definitely get taken by <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State> at #24, and he expects Thomas to go in the 17-21 range. For me personally, I don’t know how anyone could argue with a draft early consisting of Harvey/Albert/DRC and Malcom Kelly.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

If <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> wants to secure Sweed they wouldn’t have the ammo to move up past the 19<SUP>th</SUP> pick. The play would be to trade down from 11. He gave me the team most likely to move as being the Detroit Lions, who want <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Harvey</st1:place></st1:City>. So if you’re a fan of the trade down, then hope <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Harvey</st1:place></st1:City> is on the board at #11.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Like I said, this is random and in no particular order. I took notes on the fly. He said Malcom Kelly could go as high as 21 (<st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Washington</st1:place></st1:State>) or as low as the mid 30’s, but there is no way he’d be on the board at #41. He definitely expects him to go third after Thomas and Sweed.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

I don’t know much at all about this James Hardy, but these notes don’t reflect anything great, and from what I’ve been told (and I had no clue) Hardy has some major-league character issues (maybe someone can enlighten the boards?)<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Getting back to the trade-up for a WR with the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> pick. He said the other team that would be most willing to work out a deal would be <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> at #23. Makes sense, since they have some holes/depth to fill and pick one spot before <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State>, who’s absolutely going to go WR.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Not as high on DRC as a lot of people on here.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Talked again about how the Bills are a big fan of trading up with that second pick and would rather get two impact players in the draft than more players (I guess quality vs quantity). He all-but-guarenteed we’d do the same thing we’ve done the past two years. Mentioned <st1:City w:st="on">Atlanta</st1:City> (34<SUP>th</SUP> and 37<SUP>th</SUP> pick) and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:City></st1:place> (38<SUP>th</SUP>) specificially.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lastly, said if by some chance the Bills don’t go WR with their first pick and DON’T trade up before pick #41, that a guy to watch out for with the 41<SUP>st</SUP> pick would be WR Jordy Nelson. Personally, I know very very little about him, but he compared him to a Joe Jerevicius. He also mentioned another WR named Justin Harper as a sleeper, but not in the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> round.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

The last person he talked specifically about was Albert. He said drafting him and putting him on the OL would make the line so much stronger that it would become the strength of the team, and said SPECIFICALLY he would bring a greater instant impact than any offensive player in the draft (for this team anyway).<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Talked briefly about Trent Edwards and said he expects him to take a major step this year. He said he can be a younger version of Jeff Garcia.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lastly, and maybe most surprising, he didn’t mention any TE specifically, and doesn’t expect the Bills to take a TE with any of their first 3-4 picks. He said that he doesn’t think so, but that the bills brass really likes this Teyo Johnson and between he, Royal and Anderson they think they’re set at the position for this year. I find that very hard to believe.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Anyway. That’s about it from this conversation. To summarize, it doesn’t look like the Bills will go WR with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, in fact he pretty much guaranteed it. Sounds like if we take a WR its going to come via trade down for Sweed, trade up for Sweed or Kelly, take this Jordy Nelson in round two.<o:p></o:p>
When I asked him for his “official” prediction; he said he thinks Buffalo will draft Derrick Harvey or McKelvin (who I think is gone for sure personally, so I guess Harvey) with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, and then trade their second and third rounders to Seattle and take Malcomb Kelly with the 25<SUP>th</SUP> pick (Sweed and Thomas would be gone)<o:p></o:p>

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Interesting Pat.

I am getting more and more interested in Albert myself.

I would move Butler to center, as he is 10X better than Fowler and if you recall he practiced at center some last year.

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 10:49 AM
BTW, trading down if Harvey is stil there is something I recommended recently. I woud rather get an extra third, get Thomas or Sweed, and use the 2nd and 2 3rds to fill other holes.

Scumbag College
04-17-2008, 10:51 AM
The O Line of Peters-Dock-Butler-Albert-Walker would help out Trent and Lynch. Maybe Royal and the other TEs won't be so terrible and have to stay in to block on third downs. I hate the thought of trading up and losing the third round pick, becuase I really do think that there are alot of holes on this team that can be addressed early in the draft. I do like Sweed though.

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Interesting stuff

patmoran2006
04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Can Butler play center?

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Can Butler play center?

I remember they tried him there last year early/middle of the season. They did not make the change. Whether he could learn if he had all of TC or not, I am not sure. He is a smart guy though.

If they get Albert and bench Butler while keeping Fowler out there, I will be pissed.

trapezeus
04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
even if this is entirely wrong, the "inside"-ness of this story makes the count down to the draft that more exciting.

i personally know nothing of college players until a few weeks before the draft. and then it gets whittled down so quickly to the 2 or 3 people we "should" take, that i have no idea about these other people.

Thanks for this, Pat.

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I still think DRC is our pick when we get to 11, but I wouldnt be upset with Harvey or Albert.

Captain Obvious
04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Is this the same guy who told you The Bills were going to take Jon Beason last year?

Dr. Lecter
04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I still think DRC is our pick when we get to 11, but I wouldnt be upset with Harvey or Albert.

If the Bills draft DRC, you will bust a nut.

I would love McKelvin. Harvey? Meh. Not as much.

Mitchy moo
04-17-2008, 11:06 AM
I heard that we are taking Harvey if he is on the board, if a better trade down doesn't arise. I started a thread on it and mentioned it consistently.

I cannot say who told me or really call the originator a friend but they we're fairly convinced that the Bills could still get a WR of value by trading back in the late 1st round. If you find my thread, it will verify the same but it's good to hear a similiar thing from others.

On another note, if Ocho is available please give up the first and get his butt here.

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I made the points on Branden Albert and Harvey before, and Id agree. I also took Nelson in my last mock.

This guy is so stealing my ****. lol j/k.

I agree for the most part though :up:

Discussing Albert: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=150455&page=2

Mock: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=150494

THATHURMANATOR
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Interesting Pat. Thanks for posting

TacklingDummy
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
There is alot of self-proclaimed draft experts out there.

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah but we have been saying we should draft Harvey for weeks now TD!

Maybe we are experts to!

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I will add that if that is indeed thier stance I am thrilled, ive stated for sometime as well as a select few others here that Defense should be the pick in round 1.

McKelvin, Harvey would be awesome. And I have to say the more I read/watch about Branden Albert the more sold I am becoming. That kid is a Steve Hutchinson like guard.

In any event I am just hopeful we dont draft a WR at pick 11.

patmoran2006
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
For the first time since the season ended, I dont think we're taking a WR at #11 either.

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I think, as well as apparently maybe the Bills think, that this is a deep draft with a lot of 2-4 round talent and maybe 1-2 1st round guys at wr.

At 11 they will be in a spot to get a great young talent at CB or DE and I think they take it.

There is plenty to be had later on.

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
If the Bills draft DRC, you will bust a nut.

I would love McKelvin. Harvey? Meh. Not as much.

:couch:

I prefer Merling to Harvey though

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Im not as sold on McKelvin, he can make plays on the ball but can he pick it off, his numbers and practice notes really bother me for some reason.

patmoran2006
04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I really don't see Albert getting to 11.. I dont even see him getting past NE at 7..

Anyway. What would you guys think if we traded our 2nd and 3rd to Seattle, as suggested. For Malcom Kelly at #25.

Sorry, but I still think he's the best WR in this draft. I'd be pumped. If you like Sweed better, I think we'd have to move to #23 to have a shot at him, as I'd bet my life he's going to Tenn at 24 if on board.

Also, I knew nothing about any character stuff with hardy. Who knows more about that?

Ickybaluky
04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I would guess you are talking about Rob Rang, of NFLDraftScout. I actually like the guy and the site. He has Buffalo taking Devin Thomas in his latest Mock (4/10), so maybe it isn't him.

As for Hardy's issues, he was arrested for assault on his girlfriend and their kid, and threatening her if she reported it. He avoided jail by taking a plea deal and completing a diversionary program.

He also had issues with the coaching staff and his lack of effort in practice. He was suspended for 2 games in 2006 because of his poor attitude in practice. This backs up his play in games, where he sometimes looks like an incredible player while at others seems disinterested, giving up on routes and not giving strong effort.

I think Albert has shot up boards because teams think he can play LT. He has the height and long arms to do so.

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I really don't see Albert getting to 11.. I dont even see him getting past NE at 7..

Anyway. What would you guys think if we traded our 2nd and 3rd to Seattle, as suggested. For Malcom Kelly at #25.

Sorry, but I still think he's the best WR in this draft. I'd be pumped. If you like Sweed better, I think we'd have to move to #23 to have a shot at him, as I'd bet my life he's going to Tenn at 24 if on board.

Also, I knew nothing about any character stuff with hardy. Who knows more about that?

Malcolm Kelly isnt worth a 1st round selection period. Hes no better then 3rd maybe even 4th as far as WR's go in this draft imo.

Albert wont go in the top 7 I dont believe.

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I would guess you are talking about Rob Rang, of NFLDraftScout. I actually like the guy and the site. He has Buffalo taking Devin Thomas in his latest Mock (4/10), so maybe it isn't him.

As for Harvey's issues, he was arrested for assault on his girlfriend and their kid, and threatening her if she reported it. He avoided jail by taking a plea deal and completing a diversionary program.

He also had issues with the coaching staff and his lack of effort in practice. He was suspended for 2 games in 2006 because of his poor attitude in practice. This backs up his play in games, where he sometimes looks like an incredible player while at others seems disinterested, giving up on routes and not giving strong effort.

I think Albert has shot up boards because teams think he can play LT. He has the height and long arms to do so.

I think you mean Hardy and not Harvey

Ickybaluky
04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I think you mean Hardy and not Harvey

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll edit it.

DraftBoy
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. I'll edit it.

No problem just making sure its all clear

Mr. Miyagi
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I want Sweed, but I wouldn't complain at all if we pull that trade down with Detroit and trade up with Seattle and grab Harvey and Kelly in the first round. We'll then still have 2 3rd rounders probably (take Detroit's 3rd and trade away our 2nd and our 3rd, still have Baltimore's 3rd).

Holy crap That would be nice.

FlyingDutchman
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Pat if I remember correctly I think Hardy got in trouble for a domestic dispute with his girlfriend in which he supposedly hit her. Also heard he had troubles with his coach. This is all from things ive heard though so dont take it as fact.

bigbub2352
04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I will hold my ground and say devin Thomas at 11, but i have also come around to the idea of taking Albert, i am a huge fan of having an awesome OLine and that improves the whole offense,

Butler practiced alot last year at C, and was doing so at TC, but he is 6ft 7 and that would be a monster OLine, interesting stuff Pat great post!!

Ed
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Great info Pat. Thanks.

I'm completely on board with taking Albert if he's there at 11. He could definitely have more of an impact on our offense then anyone else and would anyone complain if the Bills ended up having one of the best OL's in the league? Solid O-line play is something we've been looking for for years. A better O-line means the whole offense improves.

As for trading back up for Kelly, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. It's a lot like the Poz situation last year. Everyone liked Poz, just not at #12. I think everyone still likes Kelly, just not at #11. I'd be ok with using the 2nd and 3rd picks for him though.

So I'm hoping for Albert at #11, but I'd be ok with Harvey and McKelvin. Sounds like there's definitely opportunities to move around a little too, which is nice.

Normally I'm opposed to trading up and would rather see us move down and get more picks, but considering we haven't really lost anyone and we already have a young team and extra late round picks, I'm all for moving up to grab a player we really covet.

BigGabes23
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I made the points on Branden Albert and Harvey before, and Id agree. I also took Nelson in my last mock.

This guy is so stealing my ****. lol j/k.

I agree for the most part though :up:

Discussing Albert: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=150455&page=2

Mock: http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=150494

I agree... (I think this was a sring I started). Albert makes this line unreal. That said, he is likely gone. I think Harvey is the pick.

Thanks for the info Pat!

madness
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks Pat. If true I really like all those scenario's. I think the Bills will end up staying away from "flashes in the pan" like DRC and D. Thomas.

BigGabes23
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I'd be disapointed if we traded back up to get Kelly. I really do not think he is worth it. With only two teams at his "re-do" workout yesterday, I find it hard to beleive that he would be the #3 WR taken. I would be pumped up if we moved to 23 and got Sweed.

raphael120
04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Would love Albert, I read alot about him in the newspapers down here in DC that the Redskins are all about Albert, really high on him and hope they can work out a trade up or something to get him...

Captain gameboy
04-17-2008, 01:18 PM
One thing is certain. If Brandon Albert is still on the board at 11, the phones will be ringing off the hook.

Living in Charlottesville and watching almost all of there games, it is amazing to me how far he has come, and in such little time.

He does not have a lifetime of experience, so I think along with the fact that he is athletic enough to play LT, his upside is huge.

Good kid and team captain. The only thing that bothers me a little is that he did not come out early in the classic sense, but I heard he was probably going to be academically ineligible. I have heard he is quite bright, so he must have lost interest and smelled the $.

raphael120
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I like the Albert pick because its one step closer to getting that bum Melvin Fowler out of here.

Heres a mock that has us taking Harvey with Albert still on the board and going to Denver at pick 12.

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/donnellymockdraft.html

Philagape
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
If we're taking a guard early, I'd almost rather wait a round and take Rachal from USC. 11 is pretty high for a guard.

DrGraves
04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Limas sweedddd balllllin'!!!

shelby
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Thank you Pat.....i will revisit this thread after the draft is over!

TigerJ
04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
BTW, trading down if Harvey is stil there is something I recommended recently. I woud rather get an extra third, get Thomas or Sweed, and use the 2nd and 2 3rds to fill other holes.

That's my preference too. If the Bills would really rather have Sweed, they can go a bit lower and get more value in draft choices than if they wanted Thomas. Initially the talk has been moving down in the 15-17 range (Detroit or Minnesota. They can probably go as low as 20 or 21 and be safe with Sweed.

Don't Panic
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
One thing is certain. If Brandon Albert is still on the board at 11, the phones will be ringing off the hook.

Living in Charlottesville and watching almost all of there games, it is amazing to me how far he has come, and in such little time.

He does not have a lifetime of experience, so I think along with the fact that he is athletic enough to play LT, his upside is huge.

Good kid and team captain. The only thing that bothers me a little is that he did not come out early in the classic sense, but I heard he was probably going to be academically ineligible. I have heard he is quite bright, so he must have lost interest and smelled the $.

In his defense, Branden had a tough road. He came to my school as a 17 year old junior (he turned 18 during that basketball season). The neighborhood he grew up in in Rochester was awful, and there was zero attention paid to his academics while he was there, by him or anyone else. I worked with him on SAT prep on multiple occassions in the spring of his senior year, but he didn't qualify (so much for me the teacher). As a result, he had to go to Hargrave for a year, which he hated. He struggled when he got to Virginia, but then again, many of us would have struggled there too.

The year at Hargrave means he is four years out of high school. So he would have been a senior had that experience not been there. He's 23 now... more than ready for the bigs. Simply put, Branden was not as much of a student athelete as he was an athelete student. And that's fine... he has come so far and worked so hard on the field. That's where he accels. I talked to him right before he declared and asked him every question I could to make sure he was fully evaluating this decision. I knew at the end of that conversation that he was.

By the way, he was a hell of a basketball player. Here's some archives on thos days:

http://www.geocities.com/gbhsbasketball/

Click on the State Playoffs link and look at the 2004 and 2003 teams.

Captain gameboy
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
You don't have to defend him at all.

To me, he is the antithesis of Chris Long, and since they were both here, it is an interesting contrast.

Chris Long had a fabulous senior year, far exceeding anything I thought he was capable of.
But he has been a constant focus of attention since he was a freshman getting his butt kicked every week.
There wasn't a week that the Sunday paper did not have quote from him, however meaningless his participation was.

Everybody knows everything about him.
I have no idea how he will work out, but I think he has limited upside from where he is now.

Nobody around here knew a thing about Albert coming out of Hargrave.

He has exploded in the last year. He is very big and very quick. Much more able to keep weight on than Brick is, in my view.

I love the thought of two UVA guys starting on the line, (Butler), but I might be really, really excited about answering the phone, giving him up and getting two guys if he dropped to us.

As Op said, I have heard that the Skins were drooling over him.

Anyway, in less than two weeks this will be over and we will know.

Don't Panic
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
He's on his way to DC from Dallas now... I have to admit, it may be better to trade down, even if he's available. I guess it all comes down to the confidence they have in Butler.

Michael82
04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't understand why we need a guy like Albert. Sure he's a damn good OG and might even make a good OT....but do we really need one? I don't see Butler as a weak link. I see that being our starting C and figure that we'll draft a C on the second day. If he's there, it would be great because I bet we'll be able to trade down a bit. :up:

Nighthawk
04-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I think, as well as apparently maybe the Bills think, that this is a deep draft with a lot of 2-4 round talent and maybe 1-2 1st round guys at wr.

At 11 they will be in a spot to get a great young talent at CB or DE and I think they take it.

There is plenty to be had later on.

In my opinion, you always take the "big man" if he is an impact player. That being said, I'd love to see this team take Harvey and grab a WR in the second. Like I posted yesterday, for some reason, I think this team will target Jordy Nelson in the second. Just a gut feeling...and they've been wrong before!

Goobylal
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
No WR this year is worth the 11th overall. I'll be pissed if the Bills take on there. I'm also not excited about taking Albert if he's there, since center is a bigger need and he won't be playing there, and centers don't merit that high of a pick. If the Bills can get a good offer for 11th overall, I'd do it, take a WR (Sweed), then a TE , then a CB, then DE Brian Johnston (assuming the Bills can get an extra 3rd for the trade down).

acehole
04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Yea I posted most of this including J Nelson Idea in my draft thought post...thanks for rewording all of my thoughts....'

Last night I had a 2+ hour conversation with a guy named Rob who works not only in the media for a living, but specifically for a major draft website. Let me just say that much more than me or most of you, he knows exactly what he’s talking about. I’ll note that last year he called the Willis McGahee trade (the team and the compensation) two weeks before it happened, and he also correctly called us moving back up and getting Paul Posluszny. In other words, he’s not Skooby’s “rich friend” (sorry Skoob, had to) Of course that don’t mean he’s right everytime he says something (who is), but I’ll tell you that I trust his sources and knowledge far more than anyone else, and that includes most of the “celebrity” (Kiper, McShay) draft experts.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Here are some notes I took and things I’ve been informed of, in no particular order. You take it for what it’s worth. I guess I’ll have to revist this thread on Monday April 28<SUP>th</SUP>.<o:p></o:p>

If the Bills keep the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, you can forget about WR. You can also pretty much write off DRC and especially Mike Jenkins. From what I’ve been told; the Bills are locked into one of three players; Leodis McKelvin, Bryan Albert, and Derrick Harvey. They definitely expect Albert to be gone and probably McKelvin too. That would leave their decision to be if <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Harvey</st1:City></st1:place> is worth the 11<SUP>th</SUP> overall pick.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Also stated the obvious, that <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> will definitely take a WR with one of their first two picks. However, from what he’s gathered, the person Modrak likes the most right now, by FAR is neither Devin Thomas or Malcom Kelly. It’s actually Limas Sweed.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
He then laid out several trade scenarios, which I suppose make sense.<o:p></o:p>

He said if the Bills stand pat at #11 they will definitely go defense with the pick unless Albert is still on the board (I don’t think he will be either). I (this is me not him with the opinion) think McKelvin is gone for sure. So it would be either Harvey or DRC. But he gave STRONG indication the Bills will NOT draft a WR with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Anyway. He told me if they keep the pick #11 I could bet the house they will be trading back up for the third consecutive year to get a wide receiver. He even gave me the TEAM that would be most likely. It would be <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> with the 25<SUP>th</SUP> pick. He pointed out their first round value at #25 is 720 points. Ironicially, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>’s 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rounder is worth the exact same 720 points. However (don’t know if ya’ll like this) but the WR we’d be trading up for wouldn’t be Sweed. It would be.. Malcom Kelly. The reasoning is Sweed will definitely get taken by <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State> at #24, and he expects Thomas to go in the 17-21 range. For me personally, I don’t know how anyone could argue with a draft early consisting of Harvey/Albert/DRC and Malcom Kelly.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

If <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> wants to secure Sweed they wouldn’t have the ammo to move up past the 19<SUP>th</SUP> pick. The play would be to trade down from 11. He gave me the team most likely to move as being the Detroit Lions, who want <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Harvey</st1:place></st1:City>. So if you’re a fan of the trade down, then hope <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Harvey</st1:place></st1:City> is on the board at #11.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Like I said, this is random and in no particular order. I took notes on the fly. He said Malcom Kelly could go as high as 21 (<st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Washington</st1:place></st1:State>) or as low as the mid 30’s, but there is no way he’d be on the board at #41. He definitely expects him to go third after Thomas and Sweed.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

I don’t know much at all about this James Hardy, but these notes don’t reflect anything great, and from what I’ve been told (and I had no clue) Hardy has some major-league character issues (maybe someone can enlighten the boards?)<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Getting back to the trade-up for a WR with the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> pick. He said the other team that would be most willing to work out a deal would be <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City> at #23. Makes sense, since they have some holes/depth to fill and pick one spot before <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State>, who’s absolutely going to go WR.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Not as high on DRC as a lot of people on here.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Talked again about how the Bills are a big fan of trading up with that second pick and would rather get two impact players in the draft than more players (I guess quality vs quantity). He all-but-guarenteed we’d do the same thing we’ve done the past two years. Mentioned <st1:City w:st="on">Atlanta</st1:City> (34<SUP>th</SUP> and 37<SUP>th</SUP> pick) and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:City></st1:place> (38<SUP>th</SUP>) specificially.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lastly, said if by some chance the Bills don’t go WR with their first pick and DON’T trade up before pick #41, that a guy to watch out for with the 41<SUP>st</SUP> pick would be WR Jordy Nelson. Personally, I know very very little about him, but he compared him to a Joe Jerevicius. He also mentioned another WR named Justin Harper as a sleeper, but not in the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> round.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

The last person he talked specifically about was Albert. He said drafting him and putting him on the OL would make the line so much stronger that it would become the strength of the team, and said SPECIFICALLY he would bring a greater instant impact than any offensive player in the draft (for this team anyway).<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Talked briefly about Trent Edwards and said he expects him to take a major step this year. He said he can be a younger version of Jeff Garcia.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Lastly, and maybe most surprising, he didn’t mention any TE specifically, and doesn’t expect the Bills to take a TE with any of their first 3-4 picks. He said that he doesn’t think so, but that the bills brass really likes this Teyo Johnson and between he, Royal and Anderson they think they’re set at the position for this year. I find that very hard to believe.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Anyway. That’s about it from this conversation. To summarize, it doesn’t look like the Bills will go WR with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, in fact he pretty much guaranteed it. Sounds like if we take a WR its going to come via trade down for Sweed, trade up for Sweed or Kelly, take this Jordy Nelson in round two.<o:p></o:p>
When I asked him for his “official” prediction; he said he thinks Buffalo will draft Derrick Harvey or McKelvin (who I think is gone for sure personally, so I guess Harvey) with the 11<SUP>th</SUP> pick, and then trade their second and third rounders to Seattle and take Malcomb Kelly with the 25<SUP>th</SUP> pick (Sweed and Thomas would be gone)<o:p></o:p>

PECKERWOOD
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Pat, I'm not sure if what you said is even remotely true but thanks for the great read. Your source ( :rofl: ) is a very knowledgable person as his views reflect alot of what I've been saying. I would be lying though if I said that I wasn't befuddled about "him" liking our TE situation. At this point, I'm really liking a guy like Kellen Davis in the 4th round somewhere, he is exactly what this team needs. I'm not going to pretend to know it all, I've said that Kelly is a 2nd round pick but if the Bills traded back up into the 1st to grab him I wouldn't be pissed off at all. Anyways, thanks again for the great post.

Oaf
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
SMOKE SCREEN baby! :dance:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2416476&postcount=5

PECKERWOOD
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea I posted most of this including J Nelson Idea in my draft thought post...thanks for rewording all of my thoughts....'

Man, I really like Jordy Nelson alot too but in the 2nd round?? Come on!!!

PECKERWOOD
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM
even if this is entirely wrong, the "inside"-ness of this story makes the count down to the draft that more exciting.

i personally know nothing of college players until a few weeks before the draft. and then it gets whittled down so quickly to the 2 or 3 people we "should" take, that i have no idea about these other people.

Thanks for this, Pat.

I agree completely.

Oaf
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
What if by publishing this Pat, word got out that we actually did like Sweed and the Bills hidden intent was ruined and they did not get who they really wanted in the end! It would suck for that guy.

clumping platelets
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I've been saying Derrick Harvey for 2 weeks now :D

Devin
04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
I've been saying Derrick Harvey for 2 weeks now :D

A lot of us have (for weeks/months) !!

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Can Butler play center?
No way Butler can play C. The guy is 6'7, for him to snap the ball and get into his blocking stance is very difficult and he would get bull rushed into Edwards. Also, Trent is only 6'4 and JP is 6'2 so having a 6'7 C is not wise. The middle of the field will be Butler's helmet.

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
I would honestly be siked with either Albert or Harvey. Albert at RG would be a beast. The right side of the line could actually challenge the left side for supremacy. And Harvey would look real good on a line with Stroud, McCargo and Schobel.

don137
04-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I think Buffalo and NE are in great positions to trade down. Baltimore needs a QB and NE picks 1 pick ahead of Baltimore so if teams want Ryan and he is available then they need to trade with NE. Also, it is almost a forgone conclusion that Cinci will take Ellis so if teams want Ellis they need to jump ahead of the Bengals and NE is in a perfect spot.. As a result, IMO unless Gholston is available NE will take on all offers for the #7 pick so they can trade down and take a DB. If they can not trade the pick I really see them taking Albert. NE loves to solidify the trenches.
The same can be said for Buffalo. Harvey will be coveted at #11 and I can easily see him still being on the board. Many teams need a DE and since Buffalo needs a WR and still can get their man by trading down a few spots they are in great position to do so. If they can not trade down IMO they will pick Harvey.

DraftBoy
04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't understand why we need a guy like Albert. Sure he's a damn good OG and might even make a good OT....but do we really need one? I don't see Butler as a weak link. I see that being our starting C and figure that we'll draft a C on the second day. If he's there, it would be great because I bet we'll be able to trade down a bit. :up:

You are one of the few who think that. Most outside of Bills fans think Butler is merely a stop gap till we get a better option in there but, fans like yourself, Lecter, and Jan, to name three that I know of, are of the opinion that he is still developing and we should wait on him.

I tend to think he's capped out and we should replace him.

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I think Buffalo and NE are in great positions to trade down. Baltimore needs a QB and NE picks 1 pick ahead of Baltimore so if teams want Ryan and he is available then they need to trade with NE. Also, it is almost a forgone conclusion that Cinci will take Ellis so if teams want Ellis they need to jump ahead of the Bengals and NE is in a perfect spot.. As a result, IMO unless Gholston is available NE will take on all offers for the #7 pick so they can trade down and take a DB. If they can not trade the pick I really see them taking Albert. NE loves to solidify the trenches.
The same can be said for Buffalo. Harvey will be coveted at #11 and I can easily see him still being on the board. Many teams need a DE and since Buffalo needs a WR and still can get their man by trading down a few spots they are in great position to do so. If they can not trade down IMO they will pick Harvey.
Why would Baltimore need to trade with NE to get Ryan? Unless Baltimore believes NE would select Ryan then they would have no reason to trade with NE. Just let NE pick and Ryan will still be there. No one out of the next 4 or 5 teams needs a QB so a deal with NE is not likely since it will cost a team a lot to get there.

mysticsoto
04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
You are one of the few who think that. Most outside of Bills fans think Butler is merely a stop gap till we get a better option in there but, fans like yourself, Lecter, and Jan, to name three that I know of, are of the opinion that he is still developing and we should wait on him.

Well, I guess you can add me to that crowd. I don't think Butler has been horrible and I'm not sure that he's done developing. Last year was his 1st full year and I'd like to see what he has to offer this year before wanting him gone. I won't be upset if Albert is chosen, as right now, he would be a better option. But in no way do I feel that Butler has peaked yet...

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 07:56 AM
How does tall and lanky translate well to OC? Butler would get abused as a C. He is ideally an OT playing guard was a tough enough transition for him but putting him at C where he would face every teams top nose would not be wise and like I said, at 6'7 theres no way he can snap the ball and then get into a good leverage position fast enough at his height.

That being said I think he did have a good year at OG and he is a solid starter. However if Albert is available when we pick then one day we could be looking back and saying too bad we didnt select the next Willie Roaf.

acehole
04-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Man, I really like Jordy Nelson alot too but in the 2nd round?? Come on!!!

bottom of the third for me...possibly 4th.

don137
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Why would Baltimore need to trade with NE to get Ryan? Unless Baltimore believes NE would select Ryan then they would have no reason to trade with NE. Just let NE pick and Ryan will still be there. No one out of the next 4 or 5 teams needs a QB so a deal with NE is not likely since it will cost a team a lot to get there.
Your right, NE would not draft Ryan but some other team could trade up for Ryan and draft Ryan ahead of Baltimore's pick which is almost guaranteed to take him if he is available at #8. Carolina for one, loves Ryan. If Baltimore wanted to secure Ryan though it is not unprecented to have a team trade up one spot. I think it was the Giants that traded up one spot with the Titans a few years back to get Shockey.

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Your right, NE would not draft Ryan but some other team could trade up for Ryan and draft Ryan ahead of Baltimore's pick which is almost guaranteed to take him if he is available at #8. Carolina for one, loves Ryan. If Baltimore wanted to secure Ryan though it is not unprecented to have a team trade up one spot. I think it was the Giants that traded up one spot with the Titans a few years back to get Shockey.
I guess that could happen... but only if NE has a deal in place with another team that want to move up. Then they turn to Baltimore and tell them that unless they trade up another team will be drafting before them that would take Ryan.

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Most people I know think the idea that a guy who started and has played a new position exactly one season has "capped out" is silly. It is not as much "wait" on him, as it is he was much better than Fowler and is a young lineman. Why make it a priority to replace a 2nd year guy who played at least OK last year over replacing a veteran who stunk? It makes no sense at all. Most people I know if think Butler is solid and not much of a problem. Start a poll here and I guarentee you more will be in favor of dumping Fowler over Butler.

The idea he is developing is supported by the way he grew last year between playing Denver and playing Philadelphia. He was greatly improved. Wil he continue that? I don't know, but it is not uncommon for young lineman to do so.

DraftBoy
04-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Most people I know think the idea that a guy who started and has played a new position exactly one season has "capped out" is silly. It is not as much "wait" on him, as it is he was much better than Fowler and is a young lineman. Why make it a priority to replace a 2nd year guy who played at least OK last year over replacing a veteran who stunk? It makes no sense at all. Most people I know if think Butler is solid and not much of a problem. Start a poll here and I guarentee you more will be in favor of dumping Fowler over Butler.

The idea he is developing is supported by the way he grew last year between playing Denver and playing Philadelphia. He was greatly improved. Wil he continue that? I don't know, but it is not uncommon for young lineman to do so.

You're going in two directions here, are advocating leaving Butler at RG or are you advocating playing him at OC? Yes he's an upgrade over Folwer but I have questions about his ability to do so at a premium level given his massive size.

As for Butler while he did grow he is not the space clearing, road grading OG I think we need to complete our OL. We've had this discussion multiple times before, I dont want an OL that plays as you say "OK". I want them to be at the very least good if not great. Butler is a hell of a utility lineman I just dont know that he should be starting.

Start a poll here? Really? You dont think the results would be a wee bit bias?

Dr. Lecter
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
You're going in two directions here, are advocating leaving Butler at RG or are you advocating playing him at OC? Yes he's an upgrade over Folwer but I have questions about his ability to do so at a premium level given his massive size.

As for Butler while he did grow he is not the space clearing, road grading OG I think we need to complete our OL. We've had this discussion multiple times before, I dont want an OL that plays as you say "OK". I want them to be at the very least good if not great. Butler is a hell of a utility lineman I just dont know that he should be starting.

Start a poll here? Really? You dont think the results would be a wee bit bias?

I agree I want OLmen that play better than OK. But as mystic and I said, he played OK in his first season playing guard after being a tackle throughout college and his first year in the NFL. (and missing most of TC due to injury!) He played better and better as the year went on. He went from "meh" to average/above average throught the season. To say he peaked after one season??? A bit premature don't you think?

And yes, he is not a road grating OL. We know that. Of course that concept is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy over-rated. Big time. Teams need at least one mobile guy who is not huge (i.e. I love Dockery, but he is not a pulling guard)

As for where he starts, I just want him soemwhere on the line. If he is on the bench while Fowler is starting, it will be a miscarriage of justice. You talk a weak guy, Fowler is it. He gets bull rushed by fat girls.

As for a poll being biased, maybe so. But it likley more due to Fowler's massive sucking, while many view Butler as a young player that greatly improved and was not a problem by the end of last year.

methos4ever
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I think if they went with Albert at 11 (or 15) that you're getting a lineman that is going to create depth for us. Sure, you give Butler a chance to take Fowler's C job and he may - but you ensure that that right side is Nasty. Heck, you can put Walker at RG and Albert at RT too and have the same big ole angry man issue.

The point I think is for those that want Albert or think the Bills do is that even though he is not a "skills player" getting albert is akin to putting Dockery and a Hutchinson on the line - it evens us out.

DraftBoy
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree I want OLmen that play better than OK. But as mystic and I said, he played OK in his first season playing guard after being a tackle throughout college and his first year in the NFL. (and missing most of TC due to injury!) He played better and better as the year went on. He went from "meh" to average/above average throught the season. To say he peaked after one season??? A bit premature don't you think?

And yes, he is not a road grating OL. We know that. Of course that concept is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy over-rated. Big time. Teams need at least one mobile guy who is not huge (i.e. I love Dockery, but he is not a pulling guard)

As for where he starts, I just want him soemwhere on the line. If he is on the bench while Fowler is starting, it will be a miscarriage of justice. You talk a weak guy, Fowler is it. He gets bull rushed by fat girls.

As for a poll being biased, maybe so. But it likley more due to Fowler's massive sucking, while many view Butler as a young player that greatly improved and was not a problem by the end of last year.

He played OG in college too not just OT, the position was not a foreign concept to him. Thats why the staff was so willing to easily make the change. Ill give you he went from "meh" to average, but I didnt see anything that would say he was above average. What did he do in your mind to distinguish himself? Some pancakes or something I missed?

It's been two seasons not one, and he wasn't thought of as a guy who had a lot of potential coming out of school either. In my opinion what you see is what we are going to get for the next 5-7 years from him. Do I hope Im wrong? Certainly, but at this time I dont see it.

The concept is not overrated, you just may not like it. Teams with successful road grating OG's usually have very successful running games too. As for the pulling OG thing, yes it would be nice to have, but we dont run to the outside that much. Lynch is a between the tackles runner.

Feel free to post a poll but the question should first be "Is Brad Butler the answer at RG?" then you can do another about him at OC.

Philagape
04-18-2008, 08:54 AM
RG needs upgrading more than DE does.

Mahdi
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
RG needs upgrading more than DE does.
You could be very right on that point or very wrong. If Kelsay and Schobel turn in another season like the one they had last year you will be very wrong.

Generally speaking though a DE is much more valuable than an OG. You can still have good pass pro with a weaker G but if you dont have a pass rush in the NFL you're done.

Oaf
04-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I would have to say that if we pick Albert, the Bills MUST be confident that
1. Fowler is NOT the weak link, Butler is
OR
2. Butler CAN play C from week 1
OUT
3. Albert CAN outside and Walker CAN play RG

So if they do pick him, I wouldn't be too worried. Right now I'm still rather smitten with Sweed and would rather trade down with Detroit and get him, or even just draft him at 11 outright.

After that, I'd go with Harvey then a 2nd-3rd-3rd (09) trade up to get Sweed, or just 2nd-3rd if we like Kelly or think Sweed may get past Tennessee. After that scenario, I'd take Albert over a CB at 11.

PECKERWOOD
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I would have to say that if we pick Albert, the Bills MUST be confident that
1. Fowler is NOT the weak link, Butler is
OR
2. Butler CAN play C from week 1
OUT
3. Albert CAN outside and Walker CAN play RG

So if they do pick him, I wouldn't be too worried. Right now I'm still rather smitten with Sweed and would rather trade down with Detroit and get him, or even just draft him at 11 outright.

After that, I'd go with Harvey then a 2nd-3rd-3rd (09) trade up to get Sweed, or just 2nd-3rd if we like Kelly or think Sweed may get past Tennessee. After that scenario, I'd take Albert over a CB at 11.

Ever think that perhaps Butler and Fowler are both weak links but Butler would be the easiest to replace by taking a guy like Albert in the 1st round? This isn't a very good year for drafting centers, I don't see anybody that could come in and replace Fowler immediately.

mysticsoto
04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Since many here are high on Brandon Albert, I thought I'd post a link to an interview he did with Scott Wright:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/brandenalbert/brandenalbert.html

TedMock
04-19-2008, 09:01 AM
A lot of people think Fowler is the weak link. I'm not saying they are wrong, but there are times when I hear friends cursing Fowler and I'm thinking "wasn't that Butler's fault?" We obviously don't know the schemes they're calling, but I'm not 100% sure it's Fowler and not Butler. Neither is a road grader. Both pass-block better than we've seen the guys before them do. I also think Fowler is an excellent pulling center. He gets out very fast and gets a head on guys in the open field very well. Tough call. We'll see. I'm always for upgrading whatever the problem may be.

Captain gameboy
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Since many here are high on Brandon Albert, I thought I'd post a link to an interview he did with Scott Wright:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/brandenalbert/brandenalbert.html

Brandon is no fool. See how quick he answered the "favorite position" question with the "left tackle" response?
He knows where the buck are.

Ickybaluky
04-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Anyway. He told me if they keep the pick #11 I could bet the house they will be trading back up for the third consecutive year to get a wide receiver. He even gave me the TEAM that would be most likely. It would be <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Seattle</st1:place></st1:City> with the 25<SUP>th</SUP> pick. He pointed out their first round value at #25 is 720 points. Ironicially, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>’s 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rounder is worth the exact same 720 points.

This comment is more interesting after hearing the comments of Seattle GM Tim Ruskell yesterday (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/339285.html):

“If you have rated (five) guys pretty much the same, then you can play the drop-down game,” Ruskell said. “You can say, ‘If we are happy with all four or five guys on this list, then how far can we go and assure ourselves of taking that guy?’ We would not mind picking up extra picks in this draft. We look at them as gold. I am sure that will be something we talk about every round if our list is long enough.”

Ruskell said it is unlikely the Seahawks will move up in the draft, primarily because it would require relinquishing picks when the team already feels short-handed.

In 2005, Ruskell traded the 23rd pick to Oakland for the 26th pick (offensive lineman Chris Spencer) and the 105th pick, which was in the fourth round and became offensive lineman Ray Willis.

Ruskell said there is a good chance he will do something similar this year.

“I know we are talking about it more, so generally when you do that, then it presents itself and you look for it and you don’t worry about if you can get it done,” Ruskell said...

Ruskell said he already has made preliminary calls to inform teams that he might call them on draft day looking to make a trade.

Ruskell wouldn't make comments like that unless he was pretty sure a trade-down was a strong possibility. With time between picks shorter yesterday, teams have discussed trade scenarios earlier this year.

patmoran2006
04-19-2008, 12:02 PM
NE, you're right.

Both the comments made, and the perhaps ironic fact that the bills 2nd and 3rd rounders equate out to EXACTLY the same amount of points on the chart as Seattle, really makes me think its a trade that's going to happen.

I fully expect Buffalo to end up with a pair of first rounders next Saturday. A late one (perhaps Seattle) and their own pick, either 11 or moving down before moving back up.

patmoran2006
04-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Not only that but Ruskell talking about "five guys rated around the same" leads me big time to think he's talking about TE's.

Seattle is widely rumored to be drafting a TE early, and with the position there doesnt seem to a clear frontrunner to go first.

mysticsoto
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Brandon is no fool. See how quick he answered the "favorite position" question with the "left tackle" response?
He knows where the buck are.

Which is actually one of the reasons I'm against drafting him. He would definitely upgrade our RG position, but he will be very unlikely to unseat Jason Peters and a RG at #11 is extremely high. I would bet we could address our RG position with our 3rd rd pick and still get a road grater that could do well for us.

That said, I would like to see what Butler has to offer us this year before I give up on him.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Meh. Some right. Some wrong.

Kelly definetly dropped. And the Bills must have liked Hardy more than Sweed.

But dead on about no WR at 11 or no TE early.

Goobylal
04-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Meh. Some right. Some wrong.

Kelly definetly dropped. And the Bills must have liked Hardy more than Sweed.

But dead on about no WR at 11 or no TE early.
Yeah, they must have liked Hardy better than both Sweed and Kelly, since both were available. I guess Modrak lost out. Hopefully the Bills made the right decision.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Not terribly wrong, but I bet I could flip a coin on every issue and be just as good.

Michael82
04-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Not terribly wrong, but I bet I could flip a coin on every issue and be just as good.
:rofl:

Don't Panic
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM

I don't know... aside from the WR projections, which everyone had wrong, he was pretty on. I give him a lot of credit. Thanks for sharing, Pat.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
i agree.. i think that was pretty damn accurate.

trapezeus
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
for as bizarre as this draft was, this was pretty good. no one knew that 0 WR would go in the first round. he got the mckelvin pick right under the circumstances.

and the bills did try to get back into round 1 according to the trade with the giants that fell through.

Pat, can't wait to get next year's scoop from this guy again. Good post.

colin
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
i though that was very accurate!

we tried to trade up, we went leodis/mckelvin. i figured harvey wasn't that good to go at 11, but clearly the nfl did as he got taken at 8 on a trade!

bang on about TE, and i think if leodis was gone we really would have gone albert.

nice scoop pat!!

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
1. Yes they did want McKelvin instead of a WR at 11.:check:
2. Limas Sweed by far over Thomas and Kelly. :meh:
3. Go defense at #11 - same point as #1.
4. Trade back up to the 1st to get a WR. Allegedly we tried. :check:
5. Kelly to go after Thomas and Sweed. 50-50. :meh:
6. Major character issues with Hardy, no go. :meh:
7. Not as high on DRC. :check:
8. Jordie Nelson being coveted by teams. :check:
9. No high pick on TE. :check:

Looks like there's more right than wrong. So thank you! Either way, it was without a question very entertaining and provided a lot of exciting leading up to the draft. :up:

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't know... aside from the WR projections, which everyone had wrong, he was pretty on. I give him a lot of credit. Thanks for sharing, Pat.
Gotta give Pat credit where credit is due. :up:

HAMMER
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I had us taking McKelvin at 11 if he was there and Hardy in the second, and I'm not a "Draft Guy".

Don't Panic
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I had us taking McKelvin at 11 if he was there and Hardy in the second, and I'm not a "Draft Guy".

You are now! What are your thoughts on the 2009 draft, draft guy?