PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Pops Off, Again

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-15-2003, 04:24 PM
He's gone, but hardly forgotten. Former NFL defensive end Reggie White, while talking on Monday to a group of middle-schoolers regarding role models, has opted to offer his opinions regarding the differences in the media's treatment of POW's Jessica Lynch, who is white, and Shoshana Johnson, who is black.

"These [POWs] are brave, all of them, but I see where the first young girl that they found, well, they're going to make a movie about her," White said, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

"My question is: What are they going to do about the black girl? There hasn't been much attention shown to her. My hope is that she -- and the others -- get some of that attention. Some people are heroes, but they'll never be promoted as heroes because of the color of their skin. I hope that's not the case here."

Reg? Are you feelin' okay, buddy? Apparently, Reggie is ignoring the pantheon of African-American athletes and musicians who are and have been worshipped over the last three or four decades by Americans of every color.

Reggie also is forgetting the basic fact that Jessica Lynch was rescued under far more dramatic circumstances, at a time when the war's final outcome wasn't so clearly in sight. Also, Shoshana Johnson was part of a group that primarily included white men -- and none of them has gotten any more attention than Johnson.

Please don't get us wrong here. We believe in racial equality. But we also think that there are too many people who take these issues way too far.

And we also believe that the last person to take up the cause should be lunkheads like Reggie White, who proved several years ago that he makes stereotypical judgments, via his "image of God" remarks before the Wisconsin Assembly.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Brian H
04-15-2003, 04:29 PM
What an ass........