PDA

View Full Version : NHL talking about banning graphite sticks

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Watching the game tonight on VS. I turned it on in the second intermission I had errands to run one of the twins had an ear ache today. Anyways they said that the NHL is talking about banning graphite hockey sticks and going back to all wood hockey sticks.

NHL commisioner Gary Bettman "how many times this year have we seen a player go to shoot the puck and his stick breaks when he winds up and takes a slapshot or it doesn't have to be a slapshot it could be a wristshot? too many". "with the use of all wood hockey sticks the sticks are solid wood and alot more sturdier and they don't break as easy as these two in one graphite sticks there has been more broken sticks this year than 2006

by the way the NHLPA shot this idea down "saying that players like graphite sticks because the shaft of the stick bends when a player goes and shoots the puck and the player gets more velocity on the puck.

I agree with Bettman on this 110% how many times this year did we hear RJ say Vanek shoots and he snapped his stick in half or Pominville at the point on the PowerPlay and his stick exploded.

:feedback:

BlackMetalNinja
04-18-2008, 06:05 AM
My thought is that it should be the players choice. If they choose to deal with sticks breaking all the time, that's their issue.

hydro
04-18-2008, 06:59 AM
It does get annoying seeing 10 sticks a game breaking so I wouldn't be opposed to this.

OpIv37
04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Pommers broke a lot of sticks- Vanek just fanned.

I agree with BMN- the players should weigh the risks of breaking the stick vs slightly less velocity.

Personally, I like my aluminum shaft roller hockey stick- that thing does some damage. But it requires plastic blades so it doesn't work for ice hockey- the plastic gets brittle from the cold and breaks.

Meathead
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
make it like field hockey everybody gets issued the same exact stick

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
make it like field hockey everybody gets issued the same exact stick

So all ten players have to share one stick?

That would be boring.

ddaryl
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
treat it like baseall wood bats only IMHO... if sticks are breaking more often it disrupts play and the NHL would be right to ban graphite sticks.

ban them

Ebenezer
04-21-2008, 10:52 AM
treat it like baseall wood bats only IMHO... if sticks are breaking more often it disrupts play and the NHL would be right to ban graphite sticks.

ban them

agreed...go back to wood and the goalies don't need as much protection. they don't need as much protection then you can make the pads smaller. smaller pads means more goals...more excitement.

SabreEleven
04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
and make the puck softer.

OpIv37
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
and make the puck softer.

while we're at it, why don't we just put padding around the lip of the boards and put down rock salt so no one slips on the ice.

and make the players wear skirts like figure skaters.