Jim Miller on Sirius did a nice job of criticizing Wilson.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Jim Miller on Sirius did a nice job of criticizing Wilson.

A bunch of callers called to complain about how the Jerry Jones of the world are ruining the league and potentially destroying shared revenue.

Jim Miller made a point of how owners, like Ralph Wilson, were not doing enough to maximize their own revenue base and specifically brought the Stadium naming rights.

Ralph Wilson is among the top 10 in net income derived from owning an NFL team.

I think Jim Miller's point is that to have revenue sharing every owner has to be willing to maximize the revenue for their respective teams. Has Ralph done that? No.

If 2 million dollars comes from naming the stadium than name the damn stadium.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Jim Miller on Sirius did a nice job of criticizing Wilson.

This has been discussed numerous times.

Here is a summary:

1. Companies are getting out of the stadium rights business. There is not the ROI on it. This is especially true on smaller markets. Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Cleveland have not sold the stadium name.
    2. I am not sure how this works, but remember the Bills do not own the stadium. Erie County does. I would assume that they would have a say in the naming of the stadium and any money made off the naming rights.
    3. There is not much of a corporate presence in the Buffalo/WNY to purchase those rights even if they are available.

In short, it sounds easy on the surface, but in practice is not so easy.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      This has been discussed numerous times.

Here is a summary:

1. Companies are getting out of the stadium rights business. There is not the ROI on it. This is especially true on smaller markets. Buffalo, Jacksonville, and Cleveland have not sold the stadium name.
      2. I am not sure how this works, but remember the Bills do not own the stadium. Erie County does. I would assume that they would have a say in the naming of the stadium and any money made off the naming rights.
      3. There is not much of a corporate presence in the Buffalo/WNY to purchase those rights even if they are available.

In short, it sounds easy on the surface, but in practice is not so easy.
      Im not arguing but the Sabres seemed to find one in HSBC Arena, I dont see how the Bills couldn't find one...
      COMING SOON...
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        Im not arguing but the Sabres seemed to find one in HSBC Arena, I dont see how the Bills couldn't find one...
        If you go to downtown Buffalo, there are 2 or 3 big buildings with a major corporate presence. HSBC, which is already tied to the Sabres, Rich products, who is not interested and Labatt's who the NFL would frown on (i.e. a beer company) and they also just moved in.

Not to mention, the naming rights to the arena probably get the Sabres peanuts (I would guess less than $1 million per) if anything.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

If you go to downtown Buffalo, there are 2 or 3 big buildings with a major corporate presence. HSBC, which is already tied to the Sabres, Rich products, who is not interested and Labatt's who the NFL would frown on (i.e. a beer company) and they also just moved in.

Not to mention, the naming rights to the arena probably get the Sabres peanuts (I would guess less than $1 million per) if anything.
          Cool!
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

This is a crock. If anything, there are even more corporate sponsorships going on than ever, including naming rights. Jerry Jones is talking about getting $750M from AT&T on the new Dallas stadium. In the NHL, they are painting logos buried an inch under the ice.

You are going to see more an more corporate logos as time goes on. This includes on the stadia, fields and uniforms. It is a fast-growing trend, that will continue to increase and generate more revenue.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by NE39
              This is a crock. If anything, there are even more corporate sponsorships going on than ever, including naming rights. Jerry Jones is talking about getting $750M from AT&T on the new Dallas stadium. In the NHL, they are painting logos buried an inch under the ice.

You are going to see more an more corporate logos as time goes on. This includes on the stadia, fields and uniforms. It is a fast-growing trend, that will continue to increase and generate more revenue.

Whoa, $750M?? Geez, that might pay the stadium off.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                A bunch of callers called to complain about how the Jerry Jones of the world are ruining the league and potentially destroying shared revenue.

Jim Miller made a point of how owners, like Ralph Wilson, were not doing enough to maximize their own revenue base and specifically brought the Stadium naming rights.

Ralph Wilson is among the top 10 in net income derived from owning an NFL team.

I think Jim Miller's point is that to have revenue sharing every owner has to be willing to maximize the revenue for their respective teams. Has Ralph done that? No.

If 2 million dollars comes from naming the stadium than name the damn stadium.
                Your right he should sell the naming rights to the stadium however what should happen IMO is if Ralph does not decide to sell the naming rights he should get a little less of the revenue that is shared as a result. There are certain things owners can do to maximize revenue and selling the naming rights is one of them. If a owner chooses to not sell the naming rights he should just forfeit a small piece of the pie he receives as a result of revenue sharing but let that be his choice so it hurts Wilson and not the owners that did sell their naming rights. For the well being of the league revenue sharing is necessary but Wilson should be penalized for not selling his naming rights but do not do revenue sharing because Ralph did not sell the naming rights is ludicrous.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

Labatts Stadium, they would do it in a second

And i would drink to that!!!!!!!!!!
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Tiburon1724
                    • Sep 2005

Maybe if they named it John Labatt Stadium they could get away with it since it's then being named after a person! New Era Stadium perhaps?

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

Why does the company have to be centered in Buffalo? Like say Microsoft wanted naming rights. Just because they aren't centered in Buffalo doesn't mean that wouldn't get there name repeated daily which helps exposure.
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        H to the 12:20
                        • Jul 2002

I still question whether they can sell/profit from the naming rights since they don't own the stadium. Anyone?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
                          Maybe if they named it John Labatt Stadium they could get away with it since it's then being named after a person! New Era Stadium perhaps?
                          Hiroshima Toyota Stadium, LOL.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                            I still question whether they can sell/profit from the naming rights since they don't own the stadium. Anyone?
                            You raise a very good point, and one I cant answer
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DrGraves
                              • Mar 2008

I mean even if it isn't alot shouldn't you take it. I mean if I offer 5 bucks to put my name on the stadium they should do it, until someone makes a better offer. DrGraves stadium home of the bills, for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X