PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild has CSU QB's playing Madden

YardRat
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080418/CSUZONE05/804180348/1006/SPORTS

Billy Farris drops back, looks to see which of his four receivers the safeties move toward.
Then, the senior quarterback for the Colorado State University football team pushes a button on a controller to complete the pass to ... Reggie Bush?

It's a video game, EA Sports' Madden NFL 08 on a Sony PlayStation 2.

But this version, projected on a large screen in a team meeting room in the McGraw Athletic Center, has been programmed with all of CSU's passing plays. And the Rams' four quarterbacks take turns playing it every day, before, during and after meetings with quarterbacks coach Daren Wilkinson.

"It's good because you get to rep the plays a bunch of times in your head," said Farris, clearly the leader in a spring battle to earn the starting job next fall. "You call the play, run the play and kind of go through the reads in your head, and it helps you get some mental reads."

It's helped all four of CSU's quarterbacks get a better handle on the passing plays in new coach Steve Fairchild's playbook.

"His vision will drop back, he'll see the play unfold, and he'll see our players react accordingly to the defense," said Fairchild, himself a former CSU quarterback. "He can actually go through his read progression and try to complete the ball to the right spot."

It's a much more effective way of teaching quarterbacks how to read and react to what the defense is doing.

coastal
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
:rofl:

How many times can you run a bubble screen for no gain?

djjimkelly
04-18-2008, 07:37 PM
this explains alot

theanswer74
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Its not new.

I saw something on ESPN about this. I know Penn State uses madden.

Fairchild can coach college offenses. He was very good as OC there.

coastal
04-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I can't believe this is real.

OpIv37
04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I like video games, but enough is enough.

First, kids start playing video game football instead of ACTUALLY GOING OUTSIDE and playing football.
Now, college athletes are training using football.
The next step is to just get rid of all the injuries and payroll and weather and expensive stadiums- we'll just sit in our homes and watch someone from one city play someone in another city with Madden.

It's a game- it's meant to simulate playing football without actually playing football. Nothing is the equivalent of actually DOING it.

DrGraves
04-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey i don't know about you guys. but as a college kid, i know every single pass route for every single play for every single playbook for madden. this **** works. I know what the D and WR's will do for every play in the book. its an amazing tool to memorize play and routes.

DrGraves
04-19-2008, 01:10 AM
it really helps your timing and anticipation of route cuts. maybe we should get trent on this.

jamze132
04-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Now we all know why our offense was horrible. He should have had us using NEs offense instead of his own...

trapezeus
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
so i guess fairchild introduced the Reed in motion and run his way play in madden.

after that i'm lost as to what his playbook would look like

Meathead
04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
ive been saying for a while that im surprised no nfl team has engaged one of these game companies to build a football simulator. they could put the qb in front of a eight foot screen put a sensor in the ball and have him go through their plays. it would save a ton of time, getting him more reps, and saving injuries. they could build tools to configure everything from defenses to routes to keys to hot reads. its gonna happen pretty soon here

theanswer74
04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
ive been saying for a while that im surprised no nfl team has engaged one of these game companies to build a football simulator. they could put the qb in front of a eight foot screen put a sensor in the ball and have him go through their plays. it would save a ton of time, getting him more reps, and saving injuries. they could build tools to configure everything from defenses to routes to keys to hot reads. its gonna happen pretty soon here

I dont know why people laugh at this, the Military uses "video games" to train. They just have their own specially developed games.

yordad
04-19-2008, 11:50 AM
You guys ever done the virtual golf. You choose your course, and hit an actual ball with an actual club into a screen.

That is what is next with footballs.

Before you know it, I'll be down at the local park throwing real footballs to a virtual Andre Reed.