PDA

View Full Version : Are we running the WCO this year?

PECKERWOOD
04-19-2008, 01:03 PM
The title pretty much says it all.. I heard Schonert is tailoring the offense to Edwards' strengths. Alot of 3 step drops and quick reads. What should we expect from our offense this year? A setup similar to Philly or what GB was running?

venis2k1
04-19-2008, 01:26 PM
I would expect a lot of 3 and outs unless we do something to vastly improve this offensive unit.

acehole
04-19-2008, 01:27 PM
The title pretty much says it all.. I heard Schonert is tailoring the offense to Edwards' strengths. Alot of 3 step drops and quick reads. What should we expect from our offense this year? A setup similar to Philly or what GB was running?

Yes you can add NE to that..they run a form of it.

It is great for cold weather also.

A lot of screens and passes to the running back is part of that offense.

We do have the personel to run part of it right now.

Need the big wr's to go over the middle....teyo and a draft pick for now.

PECKERWOOD
04-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I would expect a lot of 3 and outs unless we do something to vastly improve this offensive unit.

:lmao:

Yes you can add NE to that..they run a form of it.

It is great for cold weather also.

A lot of screens and passes to the running back is part of that offense.

We do have the personel to run part of it right now.

Need the big wr's to go over the middle....teyo and a draft pick for now.

Yeah, I'm thinking that this should help out Roscoe a bit too, he is a beast after he catches the ball. One thing though, don't your linemen have to be somewhat "mobile" to run the WCO? I'm trying to picture Langston Walker and Dockery setting up for the screen. :rofl:

ddaryl
04-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I still see us running more of a pwer run O then a WCO... but I can see some of the WCO style in our passing games.

if we are successful with our running game and these quick 3 step passes ... I can see us connecting on more long balls by getting the D to try and cheat and move up on us....

I agree we need a definte upgrade at WR and that WR needs to be a big boy

coastal
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
D's have been cheating up on us and blitzing us for years.

We need a quarterback who knows how to complete more than go routes and bubble screens.

Night Train
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I still see us running more of a pwer run O then a WCO... but I can see some of the WCO style in our passing games.

if we are successful with our running game and these quick 3 step passes ... I can see us connecting on more long balls by getting the D to try and cheat and move up on us....
I agree we need a definte upgrade at WR and that WR needs to be a big boy

I like your thinking.

acehole
04-19-2008, 04:07 PM
The gaurds do....but not the tackles really...

But is does negate somwhat the emphasis on the oline...with the three step drop the mega million dollars tackles hold thier blocks for what 5 seconds?

Hopfully taylor to some degree what we have here.

:lmao:

Yeah, I'm thinking that this should help out Roscoe a bit too, he is a beast after he catches the ball. One thing though, don't your linemen have to be somewhat "mobile" to run the WCO? I'm trying to picture Langston Walker and Dockery setting up for the screen. :rofl:

acehole
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
D's have been cheating up on us and blitzing us for years.

We need a quarterback who knows how to complete more than go routes and bubble screens.

This is the key right here.

ddaryl
04-19-2008, 05:56 PM
D's have been cheating up on the Bills for years because we haven't had a dual threat at WR for years either. When it was Lee and Moulds, Moulds was already on the down side of his career and didn't offer us much while Lee was learning... On top of that we had one of the most pitiful OL's around

When Lee did bust out a great year we had an anemic running game due to our pitiful OL and no other help at WR... The long ball was there because D's cheated up on us, but the short passing game was not, and neither were sustained drives and red zone production.

Last year we had an abundance of crappy play calling that never set up much, and musical chairs at QB to boot, on top of the lack of a #2 WR threat etc.. The OL was better and the running game looked better at times, but QB production across the board was weak. Edwards did show a better ability for the short game.

there are lots of reasons why D's have been able to put 8 in the box against the Bills. It's also another reason why we need a major upgrade at WR this season.. we've already have a new OC so hopefully that will make a difference. Our OL is in good shape but further imprivements wouldn't hurt either.

TigerJ
04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Almost nobody runs a pure WCO any more. Mike Holmgren is said to be the closest to it. It sounds as if Schonert is going to run something a little closer to it than what Fairchild ran, but if the Bills have any hope of getting Lee Evans to sign an extension, they can't possible figure on dropping the deep pass altogether. Even if they could keep him happy, it would be a waste of Evans' strength to drop the deep pass from the offense.

PECKERWOOD
04-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Almost nobody runs a pure WCO any more. Mike Holmgren is said to be the closest to it. It sounds as if Schonert is going to run something a little closer to it than what Fairchild ran, but if the Bills have any hope of getting Lee Evans to sign an extension, they can't possible figure on dropping the deep pass altogether. Even if they could keep him happy, it would be a waste of Evans' strength to drop the deep pass from the offense.

I agree completely about what you said about Evans but maybe the WCO could open things up for him? The 3 step drops could make DB's play even close and as a result he could burn them like toast! (lol, i didn't mean to make that rhyme it just came out like that.. )