PDA

View Full Version : Nate Clements re-visited

YardRat
04-20-2008, 05:12 AM
http://ninersnation.com/story/2008/4/20/3619/28034

However, there is plenty of evidence that throwing good money at mediocre cornerbacks destroys teams' salary caps and does not improve their pass defenses.

Let's look at the San Francisco 49ers. In 2007, they jumped at the chance to sign Clements from the Buffalo Bills. The Niners' deal with Clements was eight years for $80 million. And what did the Niners get? From 2006 to 2007, the opposition's passing yards went up (from 3,817 to 3,826), interceptions went down (from 14 to 12) and sacks went down (34 to 31). And that's with the NFL's defensive rookie of the year, linebacker Patrick Willis.

Luisito23
04-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Stupid 9'ers......:rofl:......:oops:

coastal
04-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Nate got paid.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2008, 07:56 AM
http://ninersnation.com/story/2008/4/20/3619/28034

However, there is plenty of evidence that throwing good money at mediocre cornerbacks destroys teams' salary caps and does not improve their pass defenses.

Let's look at the San Francisco 49ers. In 2007, they jumped at the chance to sign Clements from the Buffalo Bills. The Niners' deal with Clements was eight years for $80 million. And what did the Niners get? From 2006 to 2007, the opposition's passing yards went up (from 3,817 to 3,826), interceptions went down (from 14 to 12) and sacks went down (34 to 31). And that's with the NFL's defensive rookie of the year, linebacker Patrick Willis.

I knew re-signing Nate for big money was a mistake and I'm glad that we didn't keep him. My issue is that Marv let him walk for nothing and that's plain stupid.

PECKERWOOD
04-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Happy for Nate but it sucks we had to lose him to a bunch of overpaying losers.

RockStar36
04-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Knew that would happen...

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
My god what Bills fan that pays any attention couldn't have predicted that would happen? Nate plays when money is on the line and that is IT!

RockStar36
04-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Nate is a lot of talk. He is a good player but he didn't deserve that kind of money.

Captain gameboy
04-20-2008, 03:44 PM
The Nate Clements adventure is why I find it particularly irksome when poeple claim we should not draft a shutdown corner since:
A. We don't need a great corner for the cover 2.
B. We couldn't resign him.

What a bunch of hooey.

How about we do draft a shutdown corner if we need one, because Brady-Moss is a TD on every freaking throw against smallish corners.

hydro
04-20-2008, 04:00 PM
The Nate Clements adventure is why I find it particularly irksome when poeple claim we should not draft a shutdown corner since:

What a bunch of hooey.

How about we do draft a shutdown corner if we need one, because Brady-Moss is a TD on every freaking throw against smallish corners.
Cover 2 when it comes to schemes doesn't require a shutdown corner. Have the Colts or Bears ever had what people consider a shutdown corner? I think the only team that has what could be construed as one is Tampa with Barber.

With that said though, we could use better cornerback play.

chernobylwraiths
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM

What a bunch of hooey.

This is why. (from the article that the first post quoted)

It's obvious what the Niners really needed: a pass rush. That's why coach Mike Nolan persuaded his front office to sign defensive end Justin Smith from the Bengals. Did the Niners overpay for Smith, who had just two sacks last season? Maybe so. But they had no choice. You can cover all day, but if you can't rush the passer, you're not going to win in today's NFL.

The New York Giants proved that. Did you watch their Super Bowl XLII victory over the New England Patriots ?

In case you were one of the few Americans who missed it, that was indeed the most prolific offense in NFL history shut down by Steve Spagnuolo's defense. And guess what? Spags had no shutdown corners.

So, it didn't take big-name corners with big contracts to shut down Randy Moss and the most productive passing game in the history of pro football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3342009

A great pass rush will help mediocre corners. What's more is that even with great corners, a team without a pass rush will be burned eventually and usually often.

trapezeus
04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
In my opinion, CB's aren't as game changing as D-men and great linebackers. you have a phenomenal pass rush and it doesn't matter who is in the secondary. The timing is all off. If you want two good CB's and a mediocre DL and LB's, well history shows that doesn't work and that its expensive.
if there isn't a WR that the bills are sold on, i'm all for getting more LB and DL depth.

Goobylal
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I knew re-signing Nate for big money was a mistake and I'm glad that we didn't keep him. My issue is that Marv let him walk for nothing and that's plain stupid.
They weren't going to get anything for him, just like the Patriots didn't get anything for Samuel. Well, that is, outside of a 4th round comp pick they got nothing (the Patriots should get a 3rd round comp pick next year for losing Samuel).

Oaf
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
So, it didn't take big-name corners with big contracts to shut down Randy Moss and the most productive passing game in the history of pro football.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3342009

A great pass rush will help mediocre corners.

Harvey = 11th overall pick of the 2008 draft. :surrender:

trapezeus
04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
one other thing, the niners won't know how annoying the clements deal is until Nate goes for the pick late in the game instead of swatting it down.

Or god forbid Chris Chambers is playing like an elite WR.

Pinkerton Security
04-21-2008, 10:02 AM
you know, if you actually read the whole article on ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3342009&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1
it makes sense. These guys are good players, but they do not make a great defense by themselves. It takes both good pass rush and solid coverage and solid DT's and smart LB's and rangy Safeties and good play calling...

It makes me realize even more that we dont need a CB at #11. I wont be upset if we get one, but i also wont be upset if we wait til the 2nd, 3rd or 4th to get one.

The Jokeman
04-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Here's another side of the story, in 2006 the Buffalo Bills with Nate Clements ranked 8th in the NFL in pass yards against with 3019 had 13 picks and 40.0 sacks. In 2007 without Nate Clements the Bills ranked 29th against the pass yards against with 3814 yards had 18 picks and only 26.0 sacks. Perhaps Nate didn't make an impact with the 49ers yet with numbers like this you can definitely say he was missed here.