PDA

View Full Version : How about this move?

X-Era
04-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Lets say the Bills are sitting at 11

and they dont like anything that has dropped to them. They are working the phones to trade down but it doesnt happen and its there turn to pick.

What if they simply pass there pick?

Then they can target Devin Thomas (as an example) at any point later in the draft.

They simply wait until the 18 pick comes up and then put in the card for Thomas.

Why is this wrong?

They have the right at 11 to take a player ranked 11th, why then do they not have the right to slide back several picks and take a player at 19?

Who does this hurt? Dont all the teams below them essentially move up one draft spot? And when the Bills do make the pick, it simply resets the order back to the original order.

I dont think this has ever intentionally happened, but the question is:

Is it fair to do that? is it sleezy?

If you dont like where your at in the draft, and you cant get a trade partner, why dont you have the right to move down and pick where you want to?

Typ0
04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
I think you just lose the pick.

X-Era
04-20-2008, 09:36 AM

I couldnt remember but the Vikes did it and still made their pick and Dallas did it too.

ptd86
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
whats the benefit? I guess paying them slightly less.. bills definitly have the cap room to pay them tho

ddaryl
04-20-2008, 01:08 PM

no you just lose your guarenteed place in line, but can make you pick at any moment after the clocks runs out.

Mitchy moo
04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
If your waiting to see what other teams are doing, you are better off trading down.

X-Era
04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
If your waiting to see what other teams are doing, you are better off trading down.

The whole point is if we dont get a good offer or any offer, you simply wait until your not "reaching" and take the player you want later. It assumes you cant trade down and you dont like whos at your current spot.

acehole
04-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Move along...nothing to see here....

Lets say the Bills are sitting at 11

and they dont like anything that has dropped to them. They are working the phones to trade down but it doesnt happen and its there turn to pick.

What if they simply pass there pick?

Then they can target Devin Thomas (as an example) at any point later in the draft.

They simply wait until the 18 pick comes up and then put in the card for Thomas.

Why is this wrong?

They have the right at 11 to take a player ranked 11th, why then do they not have the right to slide back several picks and take a player at 19?

Who does this hurt? Dont all the teams below them essentially move up one draft spot? And when the Bills do make the pick, it simply resets the order back to the original order.

I dont think this has ever intentionally happened, but the question is:

Is it fair to do that? is it sleezy?

If you dont like where your at in the draft, and you cant get a trade partner, why dont you have the right to move down and pick where you want to?

BigGabes23
04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Nothing says welcome to Buffalo like, "We wanted to you so.. we let 6 picks go off the board before we drafted you."

It is a bad idea, and probably would lead to a holdout.

B-DON
04-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I would rather just take like a 5th rd pick instead of this scenario, as someone would at least offer that petty pick plus their 1st to move up 5 or 6 slots.

ddaryl
04-20-2008, 02:44 PM
^^^

that would be the negative thing about that.... "We really think your the player for us, but we just didn't want to pay you that much"

Mitchy moo
04-20-2008, 02:52 PM
The whole point is if we dont get a good offer or any offer, you simply wait until your not "reaching" and take the player you want later. It assumes you cant trade down and you dont like whos at your current spot.

Usually as picks go off your draft spot gets less and less valuable, so unless a team above you had a player ranked really high and never thought he would make it to a certain point in the draft, you can basically kiss your higher selection value goodbye.

YardRat
04-20-2008, 02:54 PM
No.

trapezeus
04-20-2008, 02:59 PM
i agree with the majority. it's never intentionally been done before. and i believe the player's agent will argue that he's the 11th pick and deserves 11 money. and if that's the only reason the b ills did it that way, there will be a holdout.

also you are better off trading down to get some additional value than playing this buzzer beater game.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Guys I was reading somewhere, maybe SI, where if the trade down isn't already in place it's amlost impossible to do during the draft.

If the Bills are trading down they will know before the draft.

Take Harvey at #11 and trade back up to grab a #2 WR.

Lot's of WRs in this draft but not a very talented class. It's that simple.

X-Era
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Guys I was reading somewhere, maybe SI, where if the trade down isn't already in place it's amlost impossible to do during the draft.

If the Bills are trading down they will know before the draft.

Take Harvey at #11 and trade back up to grab a #2 WR.

Lot's of WRs in this draft but not a very talented class. It's that simple.

I have ZERO problem with that version and I hope thats what we do.

This whole thing is only a thought around us being "stuck" at 11. That assumes many things which will most likely not happen:

1) All 3 top CB's are taken already or the one left is someone whom we arent interested in
2) The Bills feel no WR is worthy of the 11 pick
3) No other player seems like a good fit
4) No team calls us to trade up and we cant find anyone interested in moving up

So, we are at 11 in this case and dont have anyone we like and cant move down.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I have ZERO problem with that version and I hope thats what we do.

This whole thing is only a thought around us being "stuck" at 11. That assumes many things which will most likely not happen:

1) All 3 top CB's are taken already or the one left is someone whom we arent interested in
2) The Bills feel no WR is worthy of the 11 pick
3) No other player seems like a good fit
4) No team calls us to trade up and we cant find anyone interested in moving up

So, we are at 11 in this case and dont have anyone we like and cant move down.

Probably easier to trade back in than to trade down. I just don't see the Bills finding a partner to get out of #11. I think we take the talent deserving of #11 and come back in to get the #2 WR. This might be an issue because we don't have the extra #3.

X-Era
04-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Probably easier to trade back in than to trade down. I just don't see the Bills finding a partner to get out of #11. I think we take the talent deserving of #11 and come back in to get the #2 WR. This might be an issue because we don't have the extra #3.

It would not suprise me if we moved back into the 1st AND the 2nd. I think the Bills are gunning for the playoffs and dont see that we need to keep all of our pick or stock pile even more.

It may seem remote, but I think it might just happen.

At the very least, I see us moving either down in the 1st, or taking BPA at 11, then moving back up into the 1st for a WR, or moving up into the 2nd again for one of two or three players we really like that fall there (I have my thoughts on who).

I would be very suprised if we dont move up or down at all during the draft.

patmoran2006
04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Technically, the Bills could do that.. Simply not take the pick when they are the clock and wait a couple, even several picks to make their selection.

But from a perception standpoint, it would make the organization even more of a joke; and would make Wilson seem like he's doing nothing other than trying to further stuff his wallet.

OpIv37
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM
^^^

that would be the negative thing about that.... "We really think your the player for us, but we just didn't want to pay you that much"

unfortunately that's how the Bills treat a lot of FA's, especially our first round picks.