PDA

View Full Version : This Draft Reminds Me Of 2006 & The Whitner Selection

Night Train
04-20-2008, 03:56 PM
The Bills were desperate for Safety help at both positions & everyone concentrated on Free Safety Michael Huff of Texas as being the must have player, based on his supposed value and hype.

Huff was selected by the Raiders just before our pick and Strong Safety Donte Whitner was selected, which caused a meltdown since he wasn't discussed ad nauseum or considered to be that great a " value ". Most media sorts had him going anywhere from mid-1st to early 2nd round. The Bills didn't seem to care.

Then they selected Free Safety Ko Simpson in Round 4 & their secondary was set.

Here we are 2 years later and WR is not considered a good "Value" at #11 overall. Point taken but the Bills already showed they could care less about the immediate reaction to a pick with the Whitner selection.

I've been looking at CB like crazy in my draft guides the last 2 weeks and did noticed something. There will be some pretty good ones available in Rounds 2 & 3. For what the Bills seem to want at WR (size), that acceptable profile will probably be gone by Round 2 & you can't depend on a trade up if partners don't emerge on the short (10 minute ) clock.

I also noticed Ashton Youboty starting the season final against the Eagles, knocking down a couple balls and making an INT with a 19 yard return. Many may have already dismissed him but I bet the Bills haven't. As a 3rd,4th CB, he's more than fine. He may start soon, to the shock of many.

So I'm thinking the Bills are seriously looking at WR's Thomas,Sweed..even Kelly in Round 1, weighing all the various factors. I don't give a damn what's been said in news articles. This is the tall story time of year where nothing should be believed. They know they'll have their pick of all 3 and it will immediately fill the need.

If your immediate worry is the media love you crave after the selection, then it's Whitner all over again. Big shoulders. Whitner looks a lot better than Huff so far.

Get your big WR and then move on. It's OK by me. There's CB's all over the place.

PECKERWOOD
04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
To this day, I still wish we would have drafted Haloti Ngata.

Night Train
04-20-2008, 04:05 PM

Agreed but the whole small quick penetrating DT thinking was just taking form, with the dumb Cover 2 idea. Now with the aquisition of 2 gapper Stroud, the Bills are finally thinking out of the box.

Live and learn the hard way.

Mitchy moo
04-20-2008, 04:15 PM
There is a possibility that we also draft 2 WR's with our 1st Round selections, one we pull off at 11 and the other late in the 1st from seattle or another willing trade up partner.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
The Bills were desperate for Safety help at both positions & everyone concentrated on Free Safety Michael Huff of Texas as being the must have player, based on his supposed value and hype.

Huff was selected by the Raiders just before our pick and Strong Safety Donte Whitner was selected, which caused a meltdown since he wasn't discussed ad nauseum or considered to be that great a " value ". Most media sorts had him going anywhere from mid-1st to early 2nd round. The Bills didn't seem to care.

Here we are 2 years later and WR is not considered a good "Value" at #11 overall. Point taken but the Bills already showed they could care less about the immediate reaction to a pick with the Whitner selection.

I've been looking at CB like crazy in my draft guides the last 2 weeks and did noticed something. There will be some pretty good ones available in Rounds 2 & 3. For what the Bills seem to want at WR (size), that acceptable profile will probably be gone by Round 2 & you can't depend on a trade up if partners don't emerge on the short (10 minute ) clock.

I also noticed Ashton Youboty starting the season final against the Eagles, knocking down a couple balls and making an INT with a 19 yard return. Many may have already dismissed him but I bet the Bills haven't. As a 3rd,4th CB, he's more than fine. He may start soon, to the shock of many.

So I'm thinking the Bills are seriously looking at WR's Thomas,Sweed..even Kelly in Round 1, weighing all the various factors. I don't give a damn what's been said in news articles. This is the tall story time of year where nothing should be believed. They know they'll have their pick of all 3 and it will immediately fill the need.

If your immediate worry is the media love you crave after the selection, then it's Whitner all over again. Big shoulders. Whitner looks a lot better than Huff so far.

Get your big WR and then move on. It's OK by me. There's CB's all over the place.

I like your thoughts on CB. I agree that it's not a first round need.

I don't agree with your Whitner analogy. After Whitner, the drop off in talent was huge. Whitner was going at #13 no matter what so he obvioulsy wasn't a second round talent.

WR is going to leave one or more of these guys available in round #2. It's just not a strong class and all the hype or need in the world isn't going to change this.

I'll be pissed if the Bills take Thomas only to see Sweed get taken late in the first and end up being the guy we should have taken. This isn't last years draft class.

HHURRICANE
04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
There is a possibility that we also draft 2 WR with our 1st Round selection, one we pull off at 11 and the other late in the 1st from seattle or another willing trade up partner.

Skooby I don't see the Bills being this proactive. We seem to like being in a position where we have to draft a starter every year.

Remember the Losman, Evans, McGahee jugernaut!! What a trio that turned out to be. Evans should be gone after this season completing the adios of the Donohoe 3 musketeers!!

The Bills like replacing their players over and over again.

Night Train
04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Just a guess but I'm thinking Sweed may indeed be the guy, if his wrist is healed. Reportedly, he's fine now and his big game ability in 2006 had not been forgotten.

Who would cry over that ?

Mitchy moo
04-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Just a guess but I'm thinking Sweed may indeed be the guy, if his wrist is healed. Reportedly, he's fine now and his big game ability in 2006 had not been forgotten.

Not me.

Devin
04-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I get your logic and truthfully I wouldnt be crushed if we drafted a WR. I simply believe defense would be a better selection given the depth of certain positions in this draft.

But I wouldnt be crushed with the selection of a WR as long as it isnt Kelly, least in the 1st.

X-Era
04-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I get your logic and truthfully I wouldnt be crushed if we drafted a WR. I simply believe defense would be a better selection given the depth of certain positions in this draft.

But I wouldnt be crushed with the selection of a WR as long as it isnt Kelly, least in the 1st.

With the "hit" he takes on his speed because of his pro-day(s), it cant be Kelly at 11. It could however be Thomas, maybe Sweed.

I would just much prefer to trade down or trade back into the 19-30 range for one of them rather than 11.

patmoran2006
04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
There is a possibility that we also draft 2 WR's with our 1st Round selections, one we pull off at 11 and the other late in the 1st from seattle or another willing trade up partner.
Two WR's in the first round, and not extending Lee Evans beforehand.

Ya, that will make for great chemistry in the locker room... Seriously man.

patmoran2006
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Regarding the thread.

2006 pick (whitner) was a guy nobody really saw coming, other than Mike Mayock.

I think due to that we've learned to expect the unexpected. Truthfully, if we took Harvey, a CB or a WR I wouldn't be surprised.

I think the only potential draft pick at this point that would shock me who is a realistic option is Keith Rivers.. With Crowell and Mitchell, I'd fail to see the logic of a OLB at 11.

bigbub2352
04-20-2008, 05:49 PM

NT, couldnt agree more bro 100%, i have been argueing this vary say point since the season ended, I think we need to go with who we like not by point value or some experts thoughts,

I have said right along DTomas form MSU will be our pick at 11, i also think that trading down would be ideal and grab him or Sweed or Kelly, prefreably Sweed or Thomas, but i billieve that TModrak tiped his hat a little at the luncheon when he least talked about DThomas, and i think if the right trade isnt there at 11 we will "REACH" and get our guy

If they didnt think it was a pressing need then why the BJohnson debacle, they targeted him in FA, for a reason they also signed WJames for a reason, not to reach for a small schooled CB, and a DE were we have our starters and 1 backup in place already,

I think we need to come out of this draft, with 3 potential starters on O, and they be at WR, TE, FB and hopefully C gets added to that list

also adding another WR late would be ideal

Great Post!!!

YardRat
04-20-2008, 05:50 PM
I still say the first round choice is going to be a no-brainer, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a run of 6 or 7 receivers go mid/late first round, early second, and there being none of the perceived top tier guys left for the Bills second round choice.

Not that I'm advocating it, but I just can't dismiss Kelly, even at 11.

Saratoga Slim
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Two WR's in the first round, and not extending Lee Evans beforehand.

Ya, that will make for great chemistry in the locker room... Seriously man.

Not to mention show that we have absolutely no faith in our scouting ability. "yeah, we couldn't really decide if the guy we picked at 11 is going to be good, so we traded back into the first round to get another one just in case. Sucks that we don't have any day 1 picks left, but we just weren't sure about those WRs man."

We're more likely to draft a hockey goalie at 11 than two first round WRs.

DrGraves
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
take limas sweed. i don't care if its way to early, it will help our team the most.

trapezeus
04-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Agreed but the whole small quick penetrating DT thinking was just taking form, with the dumb Cover 2 idea. Now with the aquisition of 2 gapper Stroud, the Bills are finally thinking out of the box.

Live and learn the hard way.

or finally thinking about the box!

Nighthawk
04-20-2008, 08:08 PM

And this is the reason I say we should either move down or take Harvey, if he is there.

coastal
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
That draft class better lead this team this year or it was a total waste.

Mr. Miyagi
04-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Great thread NT. If we take Sweed at 11 I will be VERY happy.

Night Train
04-21-2008, 02:26 AM

I've been thinking D all along and it could still happen but I see WR's a plenty who's games are built for the slot #3 position. Even Jordy Nelson of Kansas St. is more of a slot guy.

The true outside WR with size is painfully thin.