• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Any Bills Fans Living in Boston???

So I'm being flown up to Boston on a job interview next week here, and I'm just looking to get a feel of the area. I see they have a pretty decent sized Backers group in Boston so that's awesome. Just wondering what peoples takes are of the area, the pros, the cons...my potential job would be in Needham. Nice places to live? Are the people cool? I'd like to see a blue collar perspective on Boston...I know they got good beer right???

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! (BTW, how hard is it to get tickets to the Bills @ Pats games and also the Sabres @ Bruins games???
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: Any Bills Fans Living in Boston???

Bedahd

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Mass is real expensive to live. The property values are through the roof. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but I was born and raised here.

Needham is not a place you'd want to live, prices are xtra inflated because its so close to Cambridge and Boston. So if you land the job you'd want to find a spot about 30-45mins away.

Beer here rules, we got Sam Adams and Harpoon right in the Hub. Tickets for the B's are easy to come by, but tickets for the Pats are not and if you can get them they aint cheap. $100 for standing room only.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• raphael120
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
        Mass is real expensive to live. The property values are through the roof. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but I was born and raised here.

Needham is not a place you'd want to live, prices are xtra inflated because its so close to Cambridge and Boston. So if you land the job you'd want to find a spot about 30-45mins away.

Beer here rules, we got Sam Adams and Harpoon right in the Hub. Tickets for the B's are easy to come by, but tickets for the Pats are not and if you can get them they aint cheap. $100 for standing room only.
        Well im well prepared for the insane cost of living as I'm coming from DC, so I hear it's still bad in Boston, but not as bad as DC. So if I got the job in Needham would I want to live 30 minutes north, south, west? Would it make sense to move halfway between Needham and downtown Boston??

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by raphael120
          Well im well prepared for the insane cost of living as I'm coming from DC, so I hear it's still bad in Boston, but not as bad as DC. So if I got the job in Needham would I want to live 30 minutes north, south, west? Would it make sense to move halfway between Needham and downtown Boston??
          To be honest Im not sure, people who work in Boston get paid more than people up here so the rental values and stuff are really high, like 2000-2500/per mos. If you're looking to buy a broker would best be able to place you. I live on the Northshore Salem/area and rent here is like 900-1500/per mos and I am 20 mins from Boston. You wouldnt really want to go west though... Western MA is a pit.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Patti120
            • Aug 2004

I used to live in Boston. I live in Newport, Rhode Island at the present. I lived in Central Square which is in Cambridge and paid $600/month with 3 roomates. Central Square kind of sucks but it's on the red line which is a plus and it's easy to get to the Mass. tpke from there. If you want to live right in Boston, I would check out the North End which is the "little Italy? section. Great area to live and you can walk to downtown and most bars, etc.

If you are single you should check out Craigslist for rooms, roomates, etc. If you live alone, then you will probably pay a minimum of $1000 for a small place.

Pats fans suck (except for NE.... I can't remember the rest of his screen name). Red Sox fans suck just about equally. BB & Celtics games are pretty easy to get tix's to, but good luck with Pats and Sox.

Beer is good out here!

Gotta get back to work!

Comment

• raphael120
              • Oct 2005

To be honest Im not sure, people who work in Boston get paid more than people up here so the rental values and stuff are really high, like 2000-2500/per mos. If you're looking to buy a broker would best be able to place you. I live on the Northshore Salem/area and rent here is like 900-1500/per mos and I am 20 mins from Boston. You wouldnt really want to go west though... Western MA is a pit.
              Im fairly sure if I land this job I'll be pretty decently paid so 900-1500/mo is pretty feasable for me. Salem wouldn't be logical for me though as I'd be having to drive through Boston to get into work, so I'd either have to do East, Northeast or South (i guess ill count west out since west sucks haha) It would be nice to live close to the ocean though...like south, but I hear South Boston is kinda shady.

Patti- I think livin in the Italian area would be awesome, love the food, and im part italian too.

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

I just dont like the congested living... and everything is on top of each other in the Boston area. I like having a yard and my own space.
                It was all

Comment

• raphael120
                  • Oct 2005

I just dont like the congested living... and everything is on top of each other in the Boston area. I like having a yard and my own space.
                  I think what Im going to do is just look online for townhouses/condos and see where the best ones are and just pick a few and go from there. Where the decent prices/nice townhomes are is what will determine where I go. IF i get the job.

plus i have a dog so an area with a yard is important.

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

when it gets closer let me know where your staying if your close we can grab a drink.
                    It was all

Comment

• Mad Max
                      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                      • Mar 2003

Good luck, hope you get an offer.

I live on the south shore (Braintree). If you've lived in D.C. then the rent you'll be paying within 10 miles of Needham won't be a shocker. For $1500 (or less) you'll get a great place.

I do recommend that you find a place close to work, rather than commute ~20 miles, because the traffic here is horrific. As a quick example, I live about 20 miles away from my work (which is in Newton, near Boston, and Needham). Well we had a "prefect storm" this past winter which essentially stopped all traffic. It took most people 6 hours to get home, cars ran out of gas, I saw 2 fires, 4-5 wrecks, countless that were stuck ...etc.

Moral of the story, why risk that? Live close to where you work if you can.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Needham is about 10 miles outside of Boston, so it isn't a big city or anything. It is a small-town suburb. It is a pretty good community. My wife used to work right downtown. It can be somewhat expensive because it is right on the 128 belt and not far from the Pike, and isn't a craphole. Thus, you are paying a premium if you want to live right there. However, if you are coming from DC it'll seem cheap to you.

If you wanted to go to Boston from there it is pretty easy, and the traffic won't bother you because other than right downtown it is much easier to get around than DC. Downtown can be tough because every street is basically a one-way headed in the opposite direction you want to go. Once you get used to it you will have no problem getting around, because Boston is a small city. If you like Italian or are looking for stuff to do, you will go to Boston a lot. There are some great placed, and the commuter rail runs right through Needham. Stuff closes a lot earlier here, though.

If you want a place to live you can go West from Needham. There are some real nice communities which would probably be much cheaper. The further away from Rt 128 you go, the better off you are. You can look west to southwest and find something nice and not too far away. You will have no problem getting a yard or anything, nothing around Needham will qualify as city life. It will be either suburban or rural.

If you wanted more of a city, you have to go closer to Boston and it gets more pricey the closer you go, depending how nice the community is. Personally, I'd rather live west/southwest of the city and have the peace and quiet, because it is less expensive and you can always take a trip downtown any time you wish.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                          Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                          • Jun 2005

MB be careful bro LOL. I live in western Mass bro. Its not really that bad just dont live in Holyoke or certain parts os Springfield. Dont rip it its not all bad.

Comment

• raphael120
                            • Oct 2005

Alright, nice to see so many Bills fans already popping up who are from Boston. How well are we represented in Bruins and Pats games when Buffalo comes into town??

Thanks for all the advice, Im so used to riding the metro to work here in DC that I think id want to stay kinda close to commuter rail lines, at least have a bike-able distance to the rail.

So west/southwest is the best bet to go if Im thinkin about suburban living? Is the south or north bad areas? I saw some pretty nice places in North End, is that a bad area because theyre pretty affordable prices im seeing, with some very nices views of the city!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by raphael120
                              So west/southwest is the best bet to go if Im thinkin about suburban living? Is the south or north bad areas? I saw some pretty nice places in North End, is that a bad area because theyre pretty affordable prices im seeing, with some very nices views of the city!
                              There are places to live in different directions, some are better than others. The North End isn't a bad place to live for the city. It is right downtown, though. Food is great, and you can walk a short distance to the waterfront, Faneuil Hall, etc. It would be a great area to live.

As to where to avoid, that is hard to say. Definitely avoid Roxbury/Dorchester area, which is largely minority and has a lot of crime. Jamaica Plain isn't bad, but looks more run down and is a lot cheaper. Beacon Hill (where the statehouse is) and Copley out along Commonwealth Ave. are old money and expensive. Southie has a large Irish population that has lived there a long time, and is supposed to be tough on outsiders (that is where Good Will Hunting was supposed to take place). The South End (not to be confused with Southie), has a large Gay population. The Chelsea/Everett/Revere/East Boston area (North) is largely a dump, but there are a lot of places being renovated there because it is cheaper to live (although Logan is close by). West of town, from the Kenmore area (Fenway) out to Alston/Brighton and Cambridge along the Charles is mostly college kids or immigrants. Somerville has some decent areas and more of a college feel, kind of like Brighton. Outside of these areas are suburbs.

It is hard to own a car in town, unless you plan on renting a parking space. Parking has always been a problem, and it is even moreso now that the Big Dig took away a bunch of parking spots. I know you might want the freedom of a car, but finding a place to put it is difficult. Maybe you can find a rental that comes with a spot. The North End isn't like that though, it is all narrow streets and not parking.

If you wish to live in the city itself, you could do so. You would be doing a reverse commute, taking the train out to Needham and back, which wouldn't be bad. Needham itself is 10 miles outside of the city and isn't anything like living downtown.

Comment

Working...
                              X