PDA

View Full Version : Any Bills Fans Living in Boston???

raphael120
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
So I'm being flown up to Boston on a job interview next week here, and I'm just looking to get a feel of the area. I see they have a pretty decent sized Backers group in Boston so that's awesome. Just wondering what peoples takes are of the area, the pros, the cons...my potential job would be in Needham. Nice places to live? Are the people cool? I'd like to see a blue collar perspective on Boston...I know they got good beer right???

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! (BTW, how hard is it to get tickets to the Bills @ Pats games and also the Sabres @ Bruins games???

Mr. Miyagi
04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Bedahd

The King
04-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Mass is real expensive to live. The property values are through the roof. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but I was born and raised here.

Needham is not a place you'd want to live, prices are xtra inflated because its so close to Cambridge and Boston. So if you land the job you'd want to find a spot about 30-45mins away.

Beer here rules, we got Sam Adams and Harpoon right in the Hub. Tickets for the B's are easy to come by, but tickets for the Pats are not and if you can get them they aint cheap. $100 for standing room only.

raphael120
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Mass is real expensive to live. The property values are through the roof. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but I was born and raised here.

Needham is not a place you'd want to live, prices are xtra inflated because its so close to Cambridge and Boston. So if you land the job you'd want to find a spot about 30-45mins away.

Beer here rules, we got Sam Adams and Harpoon right in the Hub. Tickets for the B's are easy to come by, but tickets for the Pats are not and if you can get them they aint cheap. $100 for standing room only.

Well im well prepared for the insane cost of living as I'm coming from DC, so I hear it's still bad in Boston, but not as bad as DC. So if I got the job in Needham would I want to live 30 minutes north, south, west? Would it make sense to move halfway between Needham and downtown Boston??

The King
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Well im well prepared for the insane cost of living as I'm coming from DC, so I hear it's still bad in Boston, but not as bad as DC. So if I got the job in Needham would I want to live 30 minutes north, south, west? Would it make sense to move halfway between Needham and downtown Boston??

To be honest Im not sure, people who work in Boston get paid more than people up here so the rental values and stuff are really high, like 2000-2500/per mos. If you're looking to buy a broker would best be able to place you. I live on the Northshore Salem/area and rent here is like 900-1500/per mos and I am 20 mins from Boston. You wouldnt really want to go west though... Western MA is a pit.

Patti120
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I used to live in Boston. I live in Newport, Rhode Island at the present. I lived in Central Square which is in Cambridge and paid $600/month with 3 roomates. Central Square kind of sucks but it's on the red line which is a plus and it's easy to get to the Mass. tpke from there. If you want to live right in Boston, I would check out the North End which is the "little Italy? section. Great area to live and you can walk to downtown and most bars, etc.

If you are single you should check out Craigslist for rooms, roomates, etc. If you live alone, then you will probably pay a minimum of $1000 for a small place.

Pats fans suck (except for NE.... I can't remember the rest of his screen name). Red Sox fans suck just about equally. BB & Celtics games are pretty easy to get tix's to, but good luck with Pats and Sox.

Beer is good out here!

Gotta get back to work!

raphael120
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
To be honest Im not sure, people who work in Boston get paid more than people up here so the rental values and stuff are really high, like 2000-2500/per mos. If you're looking to buy a broker would best be able to place you. I live on the Northshore Salem/area and rent here is like 900-1500/per mos and I am 20 mins from Boston. You wouldnt really want to go west though... Western MA is a pit.

Im fairly sure if I land this job I'll be pretty decently paid so 900-1500/mo is pretty feasable for me. Salem wouldn't be logical for me though as I'd be having to drive through Boston to get into work, so I'd either have to do East, Northeast or South (i guess ill count west out since west sucks haha) It would be nice to live close to the ocean though...like south, but I hear South Boston is kinda shady.

Patti- I think livin in the Italian area would be awesome, love the food, and im part italian too.

The King
04-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I just dont like the congested living... and everything is on top of each other in the Boston area. I like having a yard and my own space.

raphael120
04-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I just dont like the congested living... and everything is on top of each other in the Boston area. I like having a yard and my own space.
I think what Im going to do is just look online for townhouses/condos and see where the best ones are and just pick a few and go from there. Where the decent prices/nice townhomes are is what will determine where I go. IF i get the job.

plus i have a dog so an area with a yard is important.

The King
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
:up: when it gets closer let me know where your staying if your close we can grab a drink.

Mad Max
04-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Good luck, hope you get an offer.

I live on the south shore (Braintree). If you've lived in D.C. then the rent you'll be paying within 10 miles of Needham won't be a shocker. For $1500 (or less) you'll get a great place.

I do recommend that you find a place close to work, rather than commute ~20 miles, because the traffic here is horrific. As a quick example, I live about 20 miles away from my work (which is in Newton, near Boston, and Needham). Well we had a "prefect storm" this past winter which essentially stopped all traffic. It took most people 6 hours to get home, cars ran out of gas, I saw 2 fires, 4-5 wrecks, countless that were stuck ...etc.

Moral of the story, why risk that? Live close to where you work if you can.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Needham is about 10 miles outside of Boston, so it isn't a big city or anything. It is a small-town suburb. It is a pretty good community. My wife used to work right downtown. It can be somewhat expensive because it is right on the 128 belt and not far from the Pike, and isn't a craphole. Thus, you are paying a premium if you want to live right there. However, if you are coming from DC it'll seem cheap to you.

If you wanted to go to Boston from there it is pretty easy, and the traffic won't bother you because other than right downtown it is much easier to get around than DC. Downtown can be tough because every street is basically a one-way headed in the opposite direction you want to go. Once you get used to it you will have no problem getting around, because Boston is a small city. If you like Italian or are looking for stuff to do, you will go to Boston a lot. There are some great placed, and the commuter rail runs right through Needham. Stuff closes a lot earlier here, though.

If you want a place to live you can go West from Needham. There are some real nice communities which would probably be much cheaper. The further away from Rt 128 you go, the better off you are. You can look west to southwest and find something nice and not too far away. You will have no problem getting a yard or anything, nothing around Needham will qualify as city life. It will be either suburban or rural.

If you wanted more of a city, you have to go closer to Boston and it gets more pricey the closer you go, depending how nice the community is. Personally, I'd rather live west/southwest of the city and have the peace and quiet, because it is less expensive and you can always take a trip downtown any time you wish.

SquishDaFish
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
MB be careful bro LOL. I live in western Mass bro. Its not really that bad just dont live in Holyoke or certain parts os Springfield. Dont rip it its not all bad.

raphael120
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Alright, nice to see so many Bills fans already popping up who are from Boston. How well are we represented in Bruins and Pats games when Buffalo comes into town??

Thanks for all the advice, Im so used to riding the metro to work here in DC that I think id want to stay kinda close to commuter rail lines, at least have a bike-able distance to the rail.

So west/southwest is the best bet to go if Im thinkin about suburban living? Is the south or north bad areas? I saw some pretty nice places in North End, is that a bad area because theyre pretty affordable prices im seeing, with some very nices views of the city!

Ickybaluky
04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
So west/southwest is the best bet to go if Im thinkin about suburban living? Is the south or north bad areas? I saw some pretty nice places in North End, is that a bad area because theyre pretty affordable prices im seeing, with some very nices views of the city!

There are places to live in different directions, some are better than others. The North End isn't a bad place to live for the city. It is right downtown, though. Food is great, and you can walk a short distance to the waterfront, Faneuil Hall, etc. It would be a great area to live.

As to where to avoid, that is hard to say. Definitely avoid Roxbury/Dorchester area, which is largely minority and has a lot of crime. Jamaica Plain isn't bad, but looks more run down and is a lot cheaper. Beacon Hill (where the statehouse is) and Copley out along Commonwealth Ave. are old money and expensive. Southie has a large Irish population that has lived there a long time, and is supposed to be tough on outsiders (that is where Good Will Hunting was supposed to take place). The South End (not to be confused with Southie), has a large Gay population. The Chelsea/Everett/Revere/East Boston area (North) is largely a dump, but there are a lot of places being renovated there because it is cheaper to live (although Logan is close by). West of town, from the Kenmore area (Fenway) out to Alston/Brighton and Cambridge along the Charles is mostly college kids or immigrants. Somerville has some decent areas and more of a college feel, kind of like Brighton. Outside of these areas are suburbs.

It is hard to own a car in town, unless you plan on renting a parking space. Parking has always been a problem, and it is even moreso now that the Big Dig took away a bunch of parking spots. I know you might want the freedom of a car, but finding a place to put it is difficult. Maybe you can find a rental that comes with a spot. The North End isn't like that though, it is all narrow streets and not parking.

If you wish to live in the city itself, you could do so. You would be doing a reverse commute, taking the train out to Needham and back, which wouldn't be bad. Needham itself is 10 miles outside of the city and isn't anything like living downtown.

kinigirly
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
stay out of allston/brighton unless you enjoy going out of your way to government center to get a parking pass to park on your own street. worst parking situation i've ever seen in my life! not to mention winter :ill: please do yourself a favor and get a place that has your own driveway or garage. as for western mass, i lived in westboro for a while. it was quiet, which was kinda nice. boston/brookline/allston/brighton is filled with loud drunk bc/bu brats

clumping platelets
04-22-2008, 01:35 AM
How aboot Lexington or Concord?

shelby
04-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Good luck!

mybills
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Brookline is beautiful though, kini.

Hey raph..why would you want to be a Mass hole? :snicker:

PromoTheRobot
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I live in Manchester NH, which is 1 hour north of downtown Boston. Nice city and cheap in comparison to Boston. We have AHL hockey, Double-A baseball AF2 arena football, a major airport, and a hopping nightclub scene for a city of 100,000.

NH has no income or sales taxes!! Of course you have to deal with the commute. There is no commuter rail service from NH yet. The nearest stations are Lawrence or Lowell MA. Nothing can compare to Beantown but Manch-vegas (as we call it) is a nice bedroom city.

PTR

kinigirly
04-22-2008, 03:54 PM

most of the boston area is beautiful, i don't deny that. but parking is one of my top 3 reasons i would never move back

raphael120
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM

lol, because i would be at my dream job pretty much. i wouldnt move behind enemy lines for any other reason!!!

raphael120
04-22-2008, 06:23 PM
I live in Manchester NH, which is 1 hour north of downtown Boston. Nice city and cheap in comparison to Boston. We have AHL hockey, Double-A baseball AF2 arena football, a major airport, and a hopping nightclub scene for a city of 100,000.

NH has no income or sales taxes!! Of course you have to deal with the commute. There is no commuter rail service from NH yet. The nearest stations are Lawrence or Lowell MA. Nothing can compare to Beantown but Manch-vegas (as we call it) is a nice bedroom city.

PTR

Is that where the Bruins farm team plays?

Dont think im looking to move that far away from work/boston. i think what is best for me is getting a place halfway between boston and needham, so i have easy access to work, and the city/nightlife. i like being able to easily get downtown to do stuff at night, sports, etc...

Ickybaluky
04-22-2008, 08:32 PM

No, that is Providence, RI (the Providence Bruins). The Red Sox AAA affiliate isn't far from Providence either, and they also have great Italian food. Providence is probably closer to Needham than NH. NH to Needham would be a brutal commute, and you would spend a fortune in gas.

The Manchester hockey team is the Monarchs. They are a minor-league affiliate of the Los Angelos Kings.

PromoTheRobot
04-22-2008, 09:04 PM

Dont think im looking to move that far away from work/boston. i think what is best for me is getting a place halfway between boston and needham, so i have easy access to work, and the city/nightlife. i like being able to easily get downtown to do stuff at night, sports, etc...

With gas being what it is you're better off staying close to Boston. FYI, the Bruins AHL team is in Providence. Manchester is owned by the L.A. Kings. The baseball team is in the Blue Jays system

PTR

ajsdx
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
lol, because i would be at my dream job pretty much. i wouldnt move behind enemy lines for any other reason!!!

I hope you get the job man! I moved up to Boston for a similar reason, although for me it's going to school so I can get a job (a lot) later. I like Boston a lot; it's an awesome place for a young person who's into sports. But driving sucks. Parking sucks. The people are generally rude as hell. It's cold as balls 8 months out of the year. The sun goes down at 4:30PM in the winter. Everything respectable closes at 2AM. On the plus side, like I said before, it's a lively city and the summers in the NE are ridiculously gorgeous. Traveling to Maine, NH, the cape, etc. has been a really amazing experience. I have a list the length of my arm of places you should take a trip to during the summer. Good luck! They must already like you if they're flying you up.

raphael120
04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I hope you get the job man! I moved up to Boston for a similar reason, although for me it's going to school so I can get a job (a lot) later. I like Boston a lot; it's an awesome place for a young person who's into sports. But driving sucks. Parking sucks. The people are generally rude as hell. It's cold as balls 8 months out of the year. The sun goes down at 4:30PM in the winter. Everything respectable closes at 2AM. On the plus side, like I said before, it's a lively city and the summers in the NE are ridiculously gorgeous. Traveling to Maine, NH, the cape, etc. has been a really amazing experience. I have a list the length of my arm of places you should take a trip to during the summer. Good luck! They must already like you if they're flying you up.

Thanks for the info man! Yeah Ive generally heard the same thing from most people Ive asked. Cold, Bostonians have attitudes (but I think this is true everywhere, every place has it's a-holes), beautiful city, lots to do...2am closing times for bars is fine with me as in Pittsburgh that's what it's like too (sometimes last call is at 1:30). I love sports so Im definitly liking that aspect of boston, theyre huge into sports too, too bad I dont like any of them though! I'll revisit this thread after I get flown up there. Thanks again for everyones info! If I move up there, I'll def buy a round of brew for those that are in the area!

Patti120
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
No, that is Providence, RI (the Providence Bruins). The Red Sox AAA affiliate isn't far from Providence either, and they also have great Italian food. Providence is probably closer to Needham than NH. NH to Needham would be a brutal commute, and you would spend a fortune in gas.

The Manchester hockey team is the Monarchs. They are a minor-league affiliate of the Los Angelos Kings.

Thats right. The Providence Bruins and the Pawtucket Red Sox are all in Rhode Island.

I would definitely recommend the North End if you want to live in Boston. Otherwise Bedard and NE39 have probably the best advice.

Good luck!

raphael120
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh one thing I forgot to ask...how decent are the airfares to fly to Buffalo from Boston? Ive been researching and it seems like the cheaper flights are in the one airport otuside of boston in rhode island i beleive???

kinigirly
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
tis true. everyone i know avoids logan. they fly out of worcester, providence, manchester or hartford

Patti120
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Oh one thing I forgot to ask...how decent are the airfares to fly to Buffalo from Boston? Ive been researching and it seems like the cheaper flights are in the one airport otuside of boston in rhode island i beleive???

The flights from TF Green in Warwick, RI might be cheaper but I have always jumped in the car and have made the drive back to upstate NY so I'm not sure what it costs.

With gas prices the way they are though I've been thinking about maybe flying home.

OpIv37
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
There is one reason and one reason only to NOT live in Boston or anywhere within 75 miles or so: Patriots fans.

raphael120
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
There is one reason and one reason only to NOT live in Boston or anywhere within 75 miles or so: Patriots fans.

lol, yeah i know...the guy who would be my boss already got his fare share of "soo...how bout them Giants?" from me and he was pretty cool about it...so there's always that....but then again, they can always come back with "soo....how bout them super bowls?"

Dammit...

OpIv37
04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
lol, yeah i know...the guy who would be my boss already got his fare share of "soo...how bout them Giants?" from me and he was pretty cool about it...so there's always that....but then again, they can always come back with "soo....how bout them super bowls?"

Dammit...

the worst part is that we have absolutely NO ammunition against them- not only have they played well over the last few years, but they have COMPLETELY dominated us. They've beat us 7 times in a row and most of them weren't even close. If they talk trash, all we can do is sit there and take it.

raphael120
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
the worst part is that we have absolutely NO ammunition against them- not only have they played well over the last few years, but they have COMPLETELY dominated us. They've beat us 7 times in a row and most of them weren't even close. If they talk trash, all we can do is sit there and take it.

yeah the only thing I can say is "well at least we dont cheat" or "at least our QB isn't a fruit" or "yeah well just wait til Bellichick and Brady retire!"

kinigirly
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
this is very true. one of my friends in boston is going to abu dhabi to work for a year. i told him "hey why don't you bring over a couple million of those Patriots Superbowl Winners 2008 shirts over for the desert kids to wear". He immediately snapped back with "Hey yeah! I can bring over some Bills Losman jerseys too!" :rolleyes:

raphael120
04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
The flights from TF Green in Warwick, RI might be cheaper but I have always jumped in the car and have made the drive back to upstate NY so I'm not sure what it costs.

With gas prices the way they are though I've been thinking about maybe flying home.

How long does it normally take to drive to Buffalo? It looks like about 6 and 1/2 hours...

kinigirly
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
it took me 6 hours speeding mildly and only stopping once for gas. now during the holiday.....hell to the no

raphael120
04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
it took me 6 hours speeding mildly and only stopping once for gas. now during the holiday.....hell to the no

Hm...well holidays would be the main times i would be visiting Buff...or a spare Bills game here or there...I have a dog so I would prefer driving...is traffic real bad going to Buffalo??? I wouldnt imagine there would be all that much traffic heading that way>

kinigirly
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
i made the trip both ways 5 times a year for 3 years. i get a shiver up my spine thinking about it. spring and summer its a nice drive. monday to friday traffic is backed up to the europe from 4pm-6:30pm. the tightest spots are boston, worcester, springfield and albany. syracuse was never that bad. the problem is going back to boston. the nyc/boston split is a *****. one time around the christmas holidays it took me 10 hours to get home

mybills
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
No flights to Buffalo from RI. I'm flying out of MA this year, otherwise it takes me 7.5 hours to drive there. :ill:

raphael120
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
No flights to Buffalo from RI. I'm flying out of MA this year, otherwise it takes me 7.5 hours to drive there. :ill:

no flights from any airports around the area??? i saw southwest doesnt fly out of boston...that sucks