PDA

View Full Version : the Kelly Situation

evol4276
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:26 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3308)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>BILLS NOT CONCERNED ABOUT WR KELLY OUTBURST: Much has been made of Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly's criticism of his own school after he ran some disappointing times at his pro day earlier this month, even here in this space. He criticized Oklahoma for switching the venue of his pro day from an astroturf surface to field turf. It wasn't a good way to handle adversity, though one could understand with his NFL future on the line why he was upset after the workout. Bills scouts Joe Haering and Shawn Heinlen tried to set the record straight on Kelly.
“No one thought he was an elite speed athlete, but the combination of his size to go with the speed he has is good enough for him to be a very productive receiver," said Heinlen who was in attendance at Kelly's pro day. "There is a laundry list of guys that have played receiver in the NFL that have not been 4.4 guys and been very productive. Granted, he was probably just very frustrated at the workout. He was a young guy that came out early and he’s not been put in that kind of situation before."
“He probably thought he was that fast and the time didn’t come out and he got a little upset and vented," said Heinlen. "His interview was literally right after he finished working out. He didn’t have time to talk to anyone. He just got a little upset I think. I don’t think it’s an issue talking to the coaches. They all love the kid and speak very highly of him from a work ethic standpoint and his character. There’s no issue there. He was just upset he didn’t run as well as he hoped to run.”
Scout Joe Haering who evaluated Kelly on tape believes Kelly he's fast enough along with his size to be a "good player in our league." Haering also cleared up the misperception that timed speed is end all be all factor.
"The most important thing is how the guy plays which is called playing speed because the guy has pads on," said Haering. "Then there are the guys that run fast when they’re on the track with shorts. Sometimes the guy runs real fast in shorts and not with his pads on. I thought he ran fast enough. When you’re playing the game especially at receiver and he comes across the middle and gets punched in the mouth and his nose is bleeding maybe some guy running 4.4 is running a 4.8 the next time. My point is when I saw him he is fast enough to play. He has good playing speed."
So although the draft gurus interpreted Kelly's disappointing pro day as a significant blow to his draft stock, in all likelihood most NFL teams haven't dropped his grade all that much. I had less of an issue with his timed speed than I did how he handled adversity. Knowing that interview came right as his workout concluded eases my concern about it a bit. Where does that put him in the draft? I'm guessing but probably the lower third of round one.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

i wish i were more adventurous on these posting sites than just bb.com haha oh well.. take it for what it's worth

Scumbag College
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
If the Bills pass on WR in the first, I'd like for them to roll the dice that he gets to them at the second and not trade up for him.

Mitchy moo
04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tK6aQS_H0

evol4276
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
i'd see it as more of a smokescreen if they just blatently said "no, we have absolutely zero interest in him now" this sorta thing doesnt really ring to me as that

FlyingDutchman
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Im not sold on Thomas. I love Kelly's size and hands, and the fact that he has two consitant years of quality production. Hes they guy I want. I pray we get DRC at 11 and trade back in to get Kelly.

Scumbag College
04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
I think the interview was overblown as well. I wouldn't worry about a forty time if he's still healing from some injuries. The guy produced at a big time program, and a tenth of a second on his forty time in a t shirt and shorts isn't something to make or break him. I do think though he will slip some though.

evol4276
04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
as a matter of fact i HOPE he falls some, and we possibly throw down some sort of Poz workings like last year. yup, could not hate that one bit.

patmoran2006
04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
it puts him in Buffalo with the 25th overall pick, that's what it does..

They're coming out of this draft with DRC and Kelly, book it.(in the words of the immortal "the answer")

Night Train
04-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Where does that put him in the draft? I'm guessing but probably the lower third of round one.

Nice throw of the dart, CB. Here's mine.

The Bills pick at #11 & are deciding between Sweed & Kelly anyhow.

They could care less about the whole "value" perception reaction, ala Whitner. They solve an immediate need and move on.

Michael82
04-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Where does that put him in the draft? I'm guessing but probably the lower third of round one.

Nice throw of the dart, CB. Here's mine.

The Bills pick at #11 & are deciding between Sweed & Kelly anyhow.

They could care less about the whole "value" perception reaction, ala Whitner. They solve an immediate need and move on.
Exactly! :bf1:

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I actually love how the Bills have been approaching the draft. I don't care if it's a reach I think we should go with a WR because we NEED one or maybe two REALLY REALLY BAD! Whitner was a reach but a need. We need a De but not nearly as badly as WR. Lets get us a big WR and do some damage!

X-Era
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I actually love how the Bills have been approaching the draft. I don't care if it's a reach I think we should go with a WR because we NEED one or maybe two REALLY REALLY BAD! Whitner was a reach but a need. We need a De but not nearly as badly as WR. Lets get us a big WR and do some damage!

My dream would be a trade for a proven very good WR like Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, or Anquan Boldin. I just think its highly unlikely.

That said, I have no problem with a WR at 11, but if that doesnt happen, I just hope we move back up to get one of the top 3 in Sweed, Kelly, or Thomas.

Mitchy moo
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
My dream would be a trade for a proven very good WR like Roy Williams, Chad Johnson, or Anquan Boldin. I just think its highly unlikely.

That said, I have no problem with a WR at 11, but if that doesnt happen, I just hope we move back up to get one of the top 3 in Sweed, Kelly, or Thomas.

This is exactly how I feel.

X-Era
04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
On kelly:

:popcorn: