PDA

View Full Version : Old-Time Hockey

Ð
07-16-2002, 09:07 PM
I took a few days off work to enjoy the sunshine & today I took a drive @ 2 hrs north to Cobalt, Ontario, population 1401

One of the old-timers I was talking to was bragging that they had a team in the NHL before Toronto did. I humored him & made a note to check it out when I got home.

You know what, the geezer was right! The Cobalt Silver Kings were one of the original teams in the NHA in 1910-11.

The NHA was the precursor to the NHL, which was formed in 1918.
The Teams were...

Cobalt Silver Kings
Montreal Shamrocks
Montreal Wanderers
Ottawa Senators
Haileybury (not too smart...didn't name the team)
Montreal Canadiens
Renfrew Creamery Kings (my hometown!)

Toronto didn't get it's act together to put a team in the NHA until 1912, when they were known as the Toronto Blueshirts. It's interesting to know that Torotno was kicked out of NHA during the '16/17 season, for unknown reasons. Maybe Pat Quinn's Grandpa spoke his mind or something
:priest:

BillsMan80
07-16-2002, 09:24 PM
So Ya Want to play some Old Time Hockey eh? Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore, Dick Clapper, Toe Blake.

SABURZFAN
07-17-2002, 04:17 AM
s.mikita
j.ratelle
g.worsley(gotta love the gumper)
w.cashman
r.duguay
b.parent
i.turnbull
r.houle
d.schultz
t.williams-gotta get some penalty minutes in there.

i'm telling you,BD,those geezers know their hockey.he's probably forgotten more than we know.:up:

Earthquake Enyart
07-17-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Haileybury (not too smart...didn't name the team)
I've been to Haileybury. You're right, they are not too swift there.

Old Time Hockey:
Any Sutter brother
Tim Horton
Chris Chelios
Spinner Spenser

Rude American
07-17-2002, 09:06 AM
EE has been to Haileybury? I told you good folk he was Canadian. :)

Stan Mikita was a great player from my home town, St. Catharines, ON. As a matter of fact, and this the Gods honest truth, my father was one of Stan's best boyhood friends. They grew up together. I met Stan about 15 years ago or so at the inaugural event at Copps coll. My dad and I went down to ice level where he called Stan over. Stan came right over, happy to see his old friend, but he was quickly mobbed by autograph seekers. But we got a nice pic of him and a few other great old-timers.

Player6600
07-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Hockey players should play old time hockey, like Eddie Shore.

Rude American
07-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Um, don't you mean PAULEY shore? geez.

Rude American
07-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Roberts is an old time player. And I can see it in young Erik Cole. This Cole kid is great. Not bad for a freakin yank.

Player6600
07-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Slapshot buddy. You should get that

Ð
07-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
EE has been to Haileybury? I told you good folk he was Canadian. :)

Stan Mikita was a great player from my home town, St. Catharines, ON. As a matter of fact, and this the Gods honest truth, my father was one of Stan's best boyhood friends.

That's a great story, Rude! Stan "The Man" was from Sokolce, Slovakia @ 20 miles from where my Grandfather was from, in Bratislava. I remember my grandfather telling me as a young boy (he passed away in '77) that he used to work with Stan Makita's dad in Slovakia, so small world, isn't it!

I'll always remember Stan & his famous "bubble boy" helmet.
Slovaks are noted for humongous heads (I'm no exception...size 8 here), so that's why they had to try & contain his massive noggin inside that Winwell. :)

Rude American
07-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Ya, Stan wasn't born in Canada. My bad. He came over as a boy.

One time my uncle, who could skate like the wind and played Sr. hockey for the Galt Hornets, was riding his bike to practice. There were no st. lights as it was farm land down in old Grantham township, which is now St. Catharines. So he's on his bike, gear in his bag over his shoulder, and wouldn't you know it, he gets into a head-on collision with another kid on a bike. It's hard to beleive it was that dark out at 6 am. That's what no streelight will do I guess.

Stan Mikita
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/findplayer.php3

Rude American
07-17-2002, 11:32 AM
crap. won't open. just type in mikita.

Now there's a career!

Earthquake Enyart
07-17-2002, 11:33 AM
"You know, if you are going to tell stories, here's an idea......have a point." :)

Rude American
07-17-2002, 11:35 AM
My point is, you're an ass hole. :)

Earthquake Enyart
07-17-2002, 11:42 AM
:stupid:

Rude American
07-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Don't call your wife stupid. Geez.

SABURZFAN
07-22-2002, 05:44 PM
sittler
nanne
korab
houle

keep it going guys.let's hear some old names.

Ð
07-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey Rude...I cut my hockey "teeth" in Simcoe, Ontario. The big NHL Kahuna around those parts at the time was Chico Maki...he was from the six nations reserve @ 25 mins up the road towards Brantford.

I remember meeting him when I was @ 8 around 1973 or so...
Do you remember Chico?

Dozerdog
07-22-2002, 07:39 PM
OK, welcome to our new warning system, everyone!

Since I warned both EE and Rude to play nice on day one, and since one has decded to call another an A$$ hole, Rude gets a yellow card.

It will come off in one week. If you get a second infraction, then you will be sent to the bench for 1 week.

Capiche?

Rude American
07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Hey Rude...I cut my hockey "teeth" in Simcoe, Ontario. The big NHL Kahuna around those parts at the time was Chico Maki...he was from the six nations reserve @ 25 mins up the road towards Brantford.

I remember meeting him when I was @ 8 around 1973 or so...
Do you remember Chico? BigDouglas,
I do remeber Chico Maki. Although I never met Chiko, my father knew him but knew his brother Bob much better. They new each other for many years and played oldtimers hockey together. Bob's girlsfriend was Freddy Stanfield's sister, so my father knew Freddy also.

What else can I tell you? He used to go to Boston and would go to the track with Wayne Cashman and Gerry Cheevers. He also knew Doug Robinson of the Blackhawks/Rangers/Kings. There are many things about my dad I'll never know. Just writing this post makes me think I'll have to sit down with my uncle and start asking more questions!

Rude American
07-22-2002, 09:01 PM
A yellow card? Awesome! I love taking a minor penalty for unsportmanlike conduct now and then. Roughing calls are even better!

Sabre Ally
07-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Sent to the bench for a week? That sounds harsh. Does that mean browsing allowed but no posting or what?

Dozerdog
07-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Red Card is a 1 week ban... or until you play nice... whichever it takes

Rude American
07-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Then please tell Earthquake to stop telling me I know nothing. That hurts my feelings and embarrasses me, and that constitutes a TOS violation, does it not? ;)

Sabre Ally, bring back my man Cujo!!

Sabre Ally
07-22-2002, 10:01 PM
hehe. Another guy requested that I use this one for awhile. I guess y'all will have to take turns. ;)

BillsMan80
07-22-2002, 11:52 PM
That a way rude...get in the corner and win that battle, but don't take any ****...give everything you take and a then some.

SABURZFAN
07-23-2002, 05:09 AM
A yellow card? Awesome! I love taking a minor penalty for unsportmanlike conduct now and then. Roughing calls are even better!

it's the game misconducts that suck though.

Ð
07-23-2002, 05:43 AM
BigDouglas,
I do remeber Chico Maki. Although I never met Chiko, my father knew him but knew his brother Bob much better. They new each other for many years and played oldtimers hockey together. Bob's girlsfriend was Freddy Stanfield's sister, so my father knew Freddy also.

Rude, I think you're thinking of Bob Mackie, who used to make dresses for Cher & Nancy Reagan. :) Chico's younger brother was Wayne, who played for the Vancouver Canucks, but unfortunately died of brain cancer in 1974.

Now Freddy Stanfield...there's a blast from the past. Missed being coached by Don Cherry in Boston by 1 yr & a former Sabre to boot. He was from St. Catherines wasn't he?

Rude American
07-23-2002, 08:44 AM
To the best of my knwledge, Fred was from Toronto. But he played for the St.Catharines Black Hawks. Gerry cheevers was born in St.Catharines though.

As far as the Maki's go, I'll have to check this out. I was positive Chiko had a little brother Bob. Maybe he was a cousin.

Dozerdog
07-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Eddie Shore was great....

He played for the Bruins and bought the AHL Springfierld Induians, 90 miles west of Boston.

He would play for the Bruins, then hop in a car or take a train and head out west to play Same day/next day for his Indians. And that was in the 1920's!

He moved the Indians to Syracuse for 3 years in the 1950's, but relocated them back to Springfield.

He owend the teams until his death in the 80's

Ð
07-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Rude, did you ever collect those ESSO hockey sticker books in the early 70's? If I would have held on to mine, it'd be worth a mint :(

Rude American
07-24-2002, 09:08 AM
I rememeber I had those books, but they're long gone.

My old man bought a roll of uncut hockey cards in about 1978. He knew a guy who owned a bar so he gave them to him on loan for bar decor. Years passed and we never saw them again. I'd love to know where they went.

SABURZFAN
07-25-2002, 05:09 PM
vadnais
kehoe
delvecchio
kelly
cournoyer

northernbillfan
07-25-2002, 05:44 PM
All these old timers you are talking about makes me feel old. Having watched a lot of these guys growing up, I suddenly aged reading this thread.

SABURZFAN
07-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
All these old timers you are talking about makes me feel old. Having watched a lot of these guys growing up, I suddenly aged reading this thread.

i hear you.they were good times weren't they?

northernbillfan
07-29-2002, 01:04 AM
That was true hockey. *sigh*

Earthquake Enyart
07-30-2002, 08:12 AM
The Broad Street Bullies.

I remember a game where Dave Schultz kept hitting, slashing, spearing Tim Horton (who was 42 at the time), trying to goad him into a fight. Finally, Tim had enough, grabbed Schultz in a bear hug and slammed him to the ice, telling him "you don't want any of this". Guess what? From then on, Schultz gave Tim a wide berth.

Even when he was an old man playing, Tim was one of the toughest guys ever to play. This is what the Sabres need today, not a goon, just a tough defenseman that no one will **** with.

northernbillfan
07-30-2002, 01:17 PM
I remember watching Butch Gorring(sp) trying to make a comeback into the NHL and he had to go throught the farm team that was in my home town at the time, Nova Scotia Oilers.

Man could that guy move fast down the ice for such a little man. He did however bow out after 10 games. He realized that he was too old to keep up iwth the game.

Ð
07-30-2002, 08:22 PM
It was the helmet...
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/news/images/agoring.jpg

SABURZFAN
07-30-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The Broad Street Bullies.

I remember a game where Dave Schultz kept hitting, slashing, spearing Tim Horton (who was 42 at the time), trying to goad him into a fight. Finally, Tim had enough, grabbed Schultz in a bear hug and slammed him to the ice, telling him "you don't want any of this". Guess what? From then on, Schultz gave Tim a wide berth.

Even when he was an old man playing, Tim was one of the toughest guys ever to play. This is what the Sabres need today, not a goon, just a tough defenseman that no one will **** with.

moose dupont was one of my favorite defenseman.

Ð
07-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Tim Horton's from Cochrane, Onario, where my mom was born.

Rude American
08-01-2002, 10:45 PM
Tim Horton had legs like tree trunks. Pound for pound he is easily one of the strongest men ever to play the game.