PDA

View Full Version : Skins offer '08 first-rounder, '09 pick for Johnson

Gunzlingr
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin) about not giving in to Chad Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5483)'s trade demands?

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5483.jpg Johnson

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=was) that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.
The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.
It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.
The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal) and Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi) -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

More.. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Michael82
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
:rofl: And that's why they will remain the Bungles. If he isn't gone by this weekend, I will be shocked.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Not to be a ***** but this was already posted. :up:

The King
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Of course they do. Chad Johnson, Santana Moss, Randall El

The team will have like 30mill tied up at WR

Gunzlingr
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Not to be a ***** but this was already posted. :up:

Sorry, I scrolled through the first page and didn't see any posts.

Oaf
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
But why are they so adamant on keeping him when the jerk is so adamant on not playing? To teach him a lesson? Someone should. He once provided this sound logic, "If a team cuts a player from his contract, why can't a player cut himself from a contract and play somewhere else?" That just me steamed. :grind:

Dude
04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
:rofl: And that's why they will remain the Bungles. If he isn't gone by this weekend, I will be shocked.I don't understand this. Why will you be shocked when he isn't traded? Why do these threads keep popping up?

Mike Brown will not take an $8 million cap hit to trade Chad Johnson. He won't do it, plain and simple. He didn't give in to Carl Pickens, he didn't give in to Corey Dillon, and he won't give in to Chad Johnson.

If - and that's a big IF - Johnson is traded, it won't be until after June 1. Even then, I sincerely doubt it will happen.

ddaryl
04-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I think a 2 1st rd pick possibility is more important to the bengals and the future of that team then an 8 mil cap hit this year.

IMO The bengals are letting their emotions make decisions now. if a player on my team took a swipe at anyone on that team player or coaches I would trade that SOB especially for what's on the table.

Dude
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
You don't know Mike Brown then.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080422/SPT02/304220098

He ain't going anywhere.

Bill Brasky
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
wow, I don't know who's dumber in this one... Brown or Snyder

Michael82
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
wow, I don't know who's dumber in this one... Brown or Snyder
Good point. Brown would be a fool not to take two 1st rounders for a WR that causes problems, is a locker room cancer now (many of his teammates can't stand him) and wants out big time!

justasportsfan
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Looks like skoobs is no where to be found Eh?

Maybe we can fool the bengals into trading Chad to us for a 2nd.

hydro
04-22-2008, 02:52 PM

:lmao:

Mike13
04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Thats why the Bengals suck, they reject a great offer from an Owner who is missing a large number of braincells.

The Answer
04-22-2008, 03:06 PM
:rofl: And that's why they will remain the Bungles. If he isn't gone by this weekend, I will be shocked.

2 first round picks for an overrated, selfish, aging, cancerous WR?

Sorry but I would have taken that offer in a heartbeat. Also shows the stupidy of Daniel Snyder and the Redskins organization. Too bad we can't trade Loserman for Santana Moss.

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
More.. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Not sure why people are surprised. He's worth more than the 21st pick. Is their a WR in this year's draft that has the potential to be better?

Mitchy moo
04-22-2008, 04:57 PM

Like I said,I'd like him to come to Buffalo but not for 2 first rounders. That's insane for anyone to offer that for him. Time to draft Harvey and move back into the 1st for our WR.

OpIv37
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I think a 2 1st rd pick possibility is more important to the bengals and the future of that team then an 8 mil cap hit this year.

IMO The bengals are letting their emotions make decisions now. if a player on my team took a swipe at anyone on that team player or coaches I would trade that SOB especially for what's on the table.

and actually that cap hit is split over the next two years, which lessens the blow somewhat.

The Skins are stupid to offer that much, and Cincinnati is even more stupid for not taking it, although I am glad they are standing up to him. He's got the second highest salary at his position in the league, and he's still whining. Just STFU and play.

Dude
04-23-2008, 06:52 AM
and actually that cap hit is split over the next two years, which lessens the blow somewhat.It's an $8 million hit this year, unless they trade him after June 1. Combine that with the $5 mil or so you would pay that extra first round pick, and you're looking at a $13 million hit this year (assuming they didn't trade that extra first pick).

While I agree that Johnson should just STFU and man up, I don't think Cincinnati is as stupid as some are saying for not trading him .... yet.

Regardless, I would be serously pissed if the Bills made any attempt to bring CJ in. This whole thing is a money grab, pure and simple. The Bengals just renegotiated his contract two years ago, and now he wants more. Since the team won't give him a new deal, this is his only way to get paid.

So, given that CJ is one of the most selfish players in the league, and, given that he's injury-prone, and given that he will pull this again when someone else gets more coin, there is no way in hell I would want to see him wearing a Bills uniform.

Mahdi
04-23-2008, 07:11 AM
But why are they so adamant on keeping him when the jerk is so adamant on not playing? To teach him a lesson? Someone should. He once provided this sound logic, "If a team cuts a player from his contract, why can't a player cut himself from a contract and play somewhere else?" That just me steamed. :grind:
A player shouldnt be able to cut himself out of a contract. Teams have invested draft picks and money into players so that wouldnt be fair. However allowing a player to buy out his contract should be allowed. There should be some mechanism by which a player can leave a team at his discretion.

I think the Bengals staff and FO are just really bitter right now about their players and are very adamant about making a stand.

Gunzlingr
04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I hope they stick to their guns and make him lose face. This is a perfect time to teach the players a lesson.

trapezeus
04-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Seems like there could be several things at play on why things are the way they are.

1. First, how do the redskins even have draft positions? every year they do something stupid with this year's and next year's draft positions. it'd make you think they don't have any picks left until the 2012 draft.

2. The Bengals (small market and vote with ralph usually) are in a unique postion to make the redskins (big market and synder is first cousin to the devil himself) mad. Money aside, perhaps Mike Brown thinks, "this trade is indicative of what's wrong with big market teams. They inflate the WR cost. A guy who is already the 2nd highest paid WR wants an extension and the only team who can consider it is the redskins and the cowboys. We'll, i'm not allowing that to happen to salaries when the CBO could be open next year." $8MM cap hit aside, this trade has thepossibility of making every receiver contract go up when most owners are starting to say, "we can't keep up with this."

3. Also, the redskins have proven to overpay just about anyone who has played 3 successful downs in the league. if their first offer is as rich as it is, it's just good practice to say no and see if they up the offer again. and if you truly don't care about C. Johnson and would enjoy having him sit the bench of all of 2008, it's an easy bluff. You say no, the redskins up the offer, and you make out. They say no, and you get the satisfaction of making a guy who is in the prime of his career ride the pine and lose his chance to get that HOF jacket he apparently thinks he's getting.

4. With all the player issues the bengals have, it does seem they are taking a newer, no-nonsense approach. With their LB coming back off suspension they told him he isn't guaranteed his position and needs to not only win the position back, but show he can be a good community guy. With Henry released and a hard stance with a good WR, perhaps the bengals think this is how they plan on cutting back on bad behavior. it does send a message.

Dude
04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Good post.

However, this is not new behavior. There are two reasons why the Bengals aren't trading Chad Johnson:

1) Mike Brown is cheap, has always been cheap, and always will be cheap. He simply won't eat that much cap money just to appease one player.
2) Mike Brown is loyal to a fault, and expects the same of his employees. This is why he sticks with losing coaches for years, and why he won't fire FO employees even though they suck. Remember the "loyalty clause" that the recent CBA outlawed? That was a clause inserted in all player contracts that allowed the Bengals to reclaim bonus money for players like CJ. This was done in response to such winners as Carl Pickens, Dan Wilkenson, and Corey Dillon. Rather than make the organization better, he tried to stiflle anyone who was disloyal.

So, CJ has been disloyal because he wants more money. Mike Brown will not give him more money, and now he's pissed that CJ has been publicly trashing his team.

The Bengals aren't holding out for a better offer. Maybe there is something to the theory that Mike Brown is trying to hold down player salaries, but doubtful. He simply doesn't pay for first tier free agents, so it doesn't really affect him. In fact, it only affects him at draft time when he has to pay the picks.

Bottom line - he's cheap, he's stubborn, and now he's pissed.