X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

John Carlson

John Carlson is on with Schein & Wilcots right now. He says that he made a visit to Buffalo, met everyone etc. Says it was a quick trip, didn't spend a ton of time with any one person at OBD, met with a bunch of people and got the tour etc.

I'm happy to hear this, I was starting to wonder if we were satisfied with signing Teyo Johnson & Courtney Anderson. Glad to hear that at minimum we're still considering a Day 1 TE.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: John Carlson

if we dont draft a TE this year before the 4-5 round.. they should shoot someone at OBD.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• bigbub2352
      • Feb 2005

Couldnt agree more, but i dont want a slow TE, we got that in Royal already, we need some one that can get open stretch defense
      Martellus Bennett all day rd 2
      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

great news!

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

yes we need a tall field stretching soft hands TE, that can block.

In other words we need a bonafide stud at TE. I'm sick of "serviceable" TE's

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Carlson would be a safe pick, because he's a pretty good all-around TE. But I think a faster, more athletic pass catcher like Martellus Bennett better fits our needs.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by bigbub2352
              Couldnt agree more, but i dont want a slow TE, we got that in Royal already, we need some one that can get open stretch defense
              Martellus Bennett all day rd 2
              Don't be too quick to judge Carlson. A week before the combine, he had been fighting a stomach bug and wasn't 100%. He didn't whine about it and just tried to do the best he could. Carlson is probably one of the best rounded TEs in this draft...and he played in a pro styled offense in college - which probably would mean he could jump right in as our top TE pretty quickly!

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Don't be too quick to judge Carlson. A week before the combine, he had been fighting a stomach bug and wasn't 100%. He didn't whine about it and just tried to do the best he could. Carlson is probably one of the best rounded TEs in this draft...and he played in a pro styled offense in college - which probably would mean he could jump right in as our top TE pretty quickly!
                At this point i would be happy with any addition to the TE ranks, but i really think we need to spend our first 2 picks on Offense, and Bennett should be there in the 2nd after we take DThomas at 11, i think after those to get added to the offense we made serious strides in giving our offense some potency, add FB Schmitt with one of the 4ths and the rest is depth
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  Carlson would be a safe pick, because he's a pretty good all-around TE. But I think a faster, more athletic pass catcher like Martellus Bennett better fits our needs.
                  Dustin Keller!

I agree though, Carlson is a safe pick. Sure beats the crap out of having Teyo Anderson in the lineup.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

Why are people so infatuated with 40-times?

Jared Allen is coming off a season in which he led the NFL in sacks and established himself as a premier edge rusher. Minnesota is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd pick this year and another pick next year to trade for him. On top of that, they are reportedly willing to pay him $25M in guaranteed money.

He ran a 4.81 at the combine. Go figure. Because of that number, and because he played at Idaho State, he dropped to the 4th round. He probably wouldn't even have gone that high, but his value was helped because he was a good long-snapper as well. In the end, he showed that the ridiculous sack numbers he put up in college weren't a fluke, and he could play.

Ultimately, it comes down to that. Can the guy play.

Carlson may not having head-turning speed, but the guy can play. He has nice soft hands, is a very good blocker and has been productive (40 or more catches for 2 straight seasons). He can get open in a short area and help a young QB. I would think you would be thrilled if the Bills ended up with him. I like Bennett as well, but to me they carry similar grades as players. I don't think they play much different.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

if we're implementing a 3 step drop, we don't need a stretcher. Just a sure handed one who isn't afraid to get hit running up the middle. We need one that a single coverage can't handle in the open field or in the endzone. This would make Evans really happy . Trent better get some chemistry with Lee in the long ball.

Get another big wr and we're golden assuming the OL holds and trent lives up to his potential.

Teams will have to account for a big wr and TE , Lee ,Reed/Parrish and Lynch/Jackson/Wright coming off the backfield.

All of a sudden we can bring back the play action instead of the madden offense that Fairchild learned.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Carlson in the third would be a great pick
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Confused
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jun 2007

I really hope we dont draft carlson. sounds like a white Royal.

Bennett or Keller PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'd even take Davis over Carlson.

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            if we're implementing a 3 step drop, we don't need a stretcher. .

You don't honestly believe because we are implementing more 3 step drop type passing... we will only be using 3 step drops...

If that was the case then every D i nthe league would cheat up on us and play the short quick passing game and spend a lot of time and effort jamming our WR's and TE's at the LOS

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              You don't honestly believe because we are implementing more 3 step drop type passing... we will only be using 3 step drops...

If that was the case then every D i nthe league would cheat up on us and play the short quick passing game and spend a lot of time and effort jamming our WR's and TE's at the LOS
                              Nope, don't think we'll be doing so on every down but that is Trents biggest strength, getting rid of the ball quick. We need a TE whos a bigger target than either Reed . A sure handed catcher during slants up the middle. A bigger Josh Reed in other words who's acutually quicker and not so much a burner. A Gonzo type of TE.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X