PDA

View Full Version : John Carlson

Saratoga Slim
04-22-2008, 12:40 PM
John Carlson is on with Schein & Wilcots right now. He says that he made a visit to Buffalo, met everyone etc. Says it was a quick trip, didn't spend a ton of time with any one person at OBD, met with a bunch of people and got the tour etc.

I'm happy to hear this, I was starting to wonder if we were satisfied with signing Teyo Johnson & Courtney Anderson. Glad to hear that at minimum we're still considering a Day 1 TE.

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 12:53 PM
if we dont draft a TE this year before the 4-5 round.. they should shoot someone at OBD.

bigbub2352
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Couldnt agree more, but i dont want a slow TE, we got that in Royal already, we need some one that can get open stretch defense
Martellus Bennett all day rd 2

Bill Brasky
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
great news!

ddaryl
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
yes we need a tall field stretching soft hands TE, that can block.

In other words we need a bonafide stud at TE. I'm sick of "serviceable" TE's

Jan Reimers
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Carlson would be a safe pick, because he's a pretty good all-around TE. But I think a faster, more athletic pass catcher like Martellus Bennett better fits our needs.

mysticsoto
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Couldnt agree more, but i dont want a slow TE, we got that in Royal already, we need some one that can get open stretch defense

Don't be too quick to judge Carlson. A week before the combine, he had been fighting a stomach bug and wasn't 100%. He didn't whine about it and just tried to do the best he could. Carlson is probably one of the best rounded TEs in this draft...and he played in a pro styled offense in college - which probably would mean he could jump right in as our top TE pretty quickly!

bigbub2352
04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Don't be too quick to judge Carlson. A week before the combine, he had been fighting a stomach bug and wasn't 100%. He didn't whine about it and just tried to do the best he could. Carlson is probably one of the best rounded TEs in this draft...and he played in a pro styled offense in college - which probably would mean he could jump right in as our top TE pretty quickly!

At this point i would be happy with any addition to the TE ranks, but i really think we need to spend our first 2 picks on Offense, and Bennett should be there in the 2nd after we take DThomas at 11, i think after those to get added to the offense we made serious strides in giving our offense some potency, add FB Schmitt with one of the 4ths and the rest is depth

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Carlson would be a safe pick, because he's a pretty good all-around TE. But I think a faster, more athletic pass catcher like Martellus Bennett better fits our needs.

Dustin Keller! ;)

I agree though, Carlson is a safe pick. Sure beats the crap out of having Teyo Anderson in the lineup.

Ickybaluky
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Why are people so infatuated with 40-times?

Jared Allen is coming off a season in which he led the NFL in sacks and established himself as a premier edge rusher. Minnesota is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd pick this year and another pick next year to trade for him. On top of that, they are reportedly willing to pay him $25M in guaranteed money.

He ran a 4.81 at the combine. Go figure. Because of that number, and because he played at Idaho State, he dropped to the 4th round. He probably wouldn't even have gone that high, but his value was helped because he was a good long-snapper as well. In the end, he showed that the ridiculous sack numbers he put up in college weren't a fluke, and he could play.

Ultimately, it comes down to that. Can the guy play.

Carlson may not having head-turning speed, but the guy can play. He has nice soft hands, is a very good blocker and has been productive (40 or more catches for 2 straight seasons). He can get open in a short area and help a young QB. I would think you would be thrilled if the Bills ended up with him. I like Bennett as well, but to me they carry similar grades as players. I don't think they play much different.

justasportsfan
04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
if we're implementing a 3 step drop, we don't need a stretcher. Just a sure handed one who isn't afraid to get hit running up the middle. We need one that a single coverage can't handle in the open field or in the endzone. This would make Evans really happy . Trent better get some chemistry with Lee in the long ball.

Get another big wr and we're golden assuming the OL holds and trent lives up to his potential.

Teams will have to account for a big wr and TE , Lee ,Reed/Parrish and Lynch/Jackson/Wright coming off the backfield.

All of a sudden we can bring back the play action instead of the madden offense that Fairchild learned.

Philagape
04-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Carlson in the third would be a great pick

Confused
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I really hope we dont draft carlson. sounds like a white Royal.

Bennett or Keller PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'd even take Davis over Carlson.

ddaryl
04-22-2008, 02:57 PM
if we're implementing a 3 step drop, we don't need a stretcher. .

You don't honestly believe because we are implementing more 3 step drop type passing... we will only be using 3 step drops...

If that was the case then every D i nthe league would cheat up on us and play the short quick passing game and spend a lot of time and effort jamming our WR's and TE's at the LOS

justasportsfan
04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
You don't honestly believe because we are implementing more 3 step drop type passing... we will only be using 3 step drops...

If that was the case then every D i nthe league would cheat up on us and play the short quick passing game and spend a lot of time and effort jamming our WR's and TE's at the LOS

Nope, don't think we'll be doing so on every down but that is Trents biggest strength, getting rid of the ball quick. We need a TE whos a bigger target than either Reed . A sure handed catcher during slants up the middle. A bigger Josh Reed in other words who's acutually quicker and not so much a burner. A Gonzo type of TE.

Confused
04-22-2008, 04:11 PM
you just described bennett justa

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Why are people so infatuated with 40-times?

Jared Allen is coming off a season in which he led the NFL in sacks and established himself as a premier edge rusher. Minnesota is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd pick this year and another pick next year to trade for him. On top of that, they are reportedly willing to pay him $25M in guaranteed money.

He ran a 4.81 at the combine. Go figure. Because of that number, and because he played at Idaho State, he dropped to the 4th round. He probably wouldn't even have gone that high, but his value was helped because he was a good long-snapper as well. In the end, he showed that the ridiculous sack numbers he put up in college weren't a fluke, and he could play.

Ultimately, it comes down to that. Can the guy play.

Carlson may not having head-turning speed, but the guy can play. He has nice soft hands, is a very good blocker and has been productive (40 or more catches for 2 straight seasons). He can get open in a short area and help a young QB. I would think you would be thrilled if the Bills ended up with him. I like Bennett as well, but to me they carry similar grades as players. I don't think they play much different.

great post. i bet he runs as fast as jason witten. there is no reason he cant be the same type player

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I really hope we dont draft carlson. sounds like a white Royal.

Bennett or Keller PLEASE!!!!!!!

I'd even take Davis over Carlson.

hoof.. i think your getting the wrong impression man.. the guy is NOT a white robert royal. he is already, without playing a snap in the nfl, a better player than royal ever will be.

YardRat
04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
40 times should be banned...anybody who seriously upgrades or downgrades any player's ability based on a sprint and a stopwatch doesn't deserve to be employed by a professional football team.

I like Carlson the best out of all the TE's...He's the one player in my mock that I put in there because I want the Bills to draft him, not just because I think the team will draft him.

Use the pick, suit him up, and start him from Day 1.

Night Train
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Go watch is youtube vid and tell me how "slow" he is in pads. I could care less how he run in shorts. He gets open far above the norm and has the solid hands.

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
plus he can lay a lick when he gets the ball.. he doesnt go down like a *****.. im not saying that he is lynch, but he is strong.

clumping platelets
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM

I agree

Mitchy moo
04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
im not saying that he is lynch, but he is strong.

Like Bull.....

jimbohastle51
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
i have been saying that he would be our guy at TE since the college football season ended. he is just a all around great prospect. brilliant mind, great blocker, good pass catcher, and team player. may not be antonio gates but i would take this guy over any other TE, measurables arnt everything.

yordad
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Well folks, I'm going to have to go and play some devils advocate. First, occasionally a player has to run in a straight line. Second, if said player was faster at doing that, he would reach the destination faster. And, a 40 time measures how fast said player gets to said point, and compares it to many other players under comparable circumstances.

In short, faster players can get to destinations faster then slower players. Why would knowing who is faster be useless? And, if it was so useless, why would all these scouts, owners, coaches, and assistants be interested in it. And, how many fat slow DTs with good hands split out wide on offense?

Don't be silly guys, the 40 isn't an end all, tell all. And, it is only one of many tools. But, it is far from useless. Take any player in the entire league and ask him if he thinks keeping all his attributes and adding alittle speed would hurt. Every player would add the speed.

jimbohastle51
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
he ran 4.6's at his pro day, thats not bad for his size. and what we would want him to do is not be an antonio gates for jeremy shockey. we run the ball we want him to block and roll off blocks and catch those 5-10 yard catches and be a nice goal line TD threat.