PDA

View Full Version : Ingtar33's Mock Draft

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah i know... i don't do these. typically i'll talk needs and the like. However, i felt like giving it a go this year.

this is based purely on what i think are the greatest needs for the teams... and best pick available.

in short.

I acted as the GM for each team, not based on any outside information, with the exception of the Miami dolphins, who have already made a solid but not great no.1 pick.

*note: no trades were considered

MIA - OT - Long, Jake
STL - DE - Long, Chris
ATL - DT - Dorsey, Glenn
OAK - RB - McFadden, Darren
KC - OT - Clady, Ryan
NYJ - DE - Gholston, Vernon
NE - LB - Rivers, Keith
BAL - QB - Ryan, Matt
CIN - DT - Ellis, Sedrick
NO - CB - McKelvin, Leodis
BUF - CB - Rodgers-Cromartie, D.
DEN - DE - Harvey, Derrick
CAR - OT - Otah, Jeff
CHI - OT - Williams, Chris
DET - RB - Mendenhall, Rashard
PHX - DE - Merling, Phillip
MIN - DT - Balmer, Kentwan
HOU - RB - Stewart, Jonathan
PHI - WR - Sweed, Limas
TB - QB - Brohm, Brian
WAS - WR - Thomas, Devin
DAL - CB - Jenkins, Mike
PIT - OT - Cherilus, Gosder
TEN - WR - Hardy, James
SEA - WR - Kelly, Malcolm
JAX - FS - Phillips, Kenny
SD - OT - Baker, Sam
DAL - CB - Talib, Aqib
SF - LB - Groves, Quentin
GB - TE - Davis, Fred
NYG - LB - Adibi, Xavier

I did cheat on the Oakland raiders pick, with several other positions making more sense than running back, i just don't see al davis passing on McFadden; he loves fast guys too much.

I have the Bills taking who i think is the 2nd best CB in the draft, only because he's worth a no.11, even though i admit their need at WR/TE is far greater then it is at CB, there just aren't any WRs worth it here. I could also see Derrick Harvey or Phillip Merling here.

Confused
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
There are no WR's that are worth the 11th pick, however, by the time we pick again(41) all of the premeir WR's that fit our needs(TALL, Powerful, good hands) such as Hardy Sweed or even the tweener Thomas will be gone. Malcom Kelly MIGHT still be there but who wants to gamble? Plus, the same thing will happen if we wait till the 3rd or 4th for our other big need, TE. CB in the 1st makes ZERO sense considering we brought in James and our safeties should be healthy. Furthmore, DRC is not 1st round material. almost everyone who pays attention to the draft has him confused with his cousin. If DRC was so great, why did he not move up to DivisionI? That guy is a mistake some other team needs to make. we are to close to making a playoff appearance to WASTE our 1st pick on him. I'm not saying that he sucks by any means, just that he seems more like a 3rd rounder to me.

We need to go
1. WR
2.TE
3. OL/WR(again...Kelly?)or DE
4a. FB
4b. CB
BPA the rest of the draft

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
im not going to disagree with you.

The WRs we need will be gone by the 2nd round, which leaves us with 3 choices.

1) overpay for a possible bust WR at no.11
2) take a sure thing CB/DE
3) trade down and take a flier on a WR we need.

since i discounted trading, in the mock draft, and i had to be honest about what i would do as GM, I would take a CB.

raphael120
04-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Tell you what, if we pick DRC and all of those WR's you have up there being drafted ARE drafted, we're screwed. I just dont see how drafting Devin Thomas at 11 is really reaching that much. If picking Whitner at 8 was deemed necessary by the Bills FO, then I think grabbing Devin Thomas at 11 is not such a big deal and is reaching less than we did for Whitner.

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 07:51 PM
the problem we have is defense WILL go first in this draft.

this draft is top heavy in defense.

as a result by the time we get into the 20's the talent pool will be so mediocre for the first round, most teams will take a flier on these so-so WR prospects.

what's worse is that a number of the teams that will draft ahead of us in round 2 could take a shot at those WRs too.

we really have 3 sane options.

1) draft a CB
2) draft a DE
3) trade down and draft a WR

i just can't see any of those WRs this year worth going in the top 20, with all the talent on the defensive side of the ball.

there are teams at the back of the draft who i have taking non-WRs who would leap at one of those WRs if they were still available. The giants are a good example just off the top of my head.

EDS
04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah i know... i don't do these. typically i'll talk needs and the like. However, i felt like giving it a go this year.

this is based purely on what i think are the greatest needs for the teams... and best pick available.

in short.

I acted as the GM for each team, not based on any outside information, with the exception of the Miami dolphins, who have already made a solid but not great no.1 pick.

*note: no trades were considered

MIA - OT - Long, Jake
STL - DE - Long, Chris
ATL - DT - Dorsey, Glenn
KC - OT - Clady, Ryan
NYJ - DE - Gholston, Vernon
NE - LB - Rivers, Keith
BAL - QB - Ryan, Matt
DEN - DE - Harvey, Derrick
CAR - OT - Otah, Jeff
CHI - OT - Williams, Chris
DET - RB - Mendenhall, Rashard
PHX - DE - Merling, Phillip
MIN - DT - Balmer, Kentwan
HOU - RB - Stewart, Jonathan
PHI - WR - Sweed, Limas
TB - QB - Brohm, Brian
WAS - WR - Thomas, Devin
DAL - CB - Jenkins, Mike
PIT - OT - Cherilus, Gosder
TEN - WR - Hardy, James
SEA - WR - Kelly, Malcolm
JAX - FS - Phillips, Kenny
SD - OT - Baker, Sam
DAL - CB - Talib, Aqib
SF - LB - Groves, Quentin
GB - TE - Davis, Fred
NYG - LB - Adibi, Xavier

I did cheat on the Oakland raiders pick, with several other positions making more sense than running back, i just don't see al davis passing on McFadden; he loves fast guys too much.

I have the Bills taking who i think is the 2nd best CB in the draft, only because he's worth a no.11, even though i admit their need at WR/TE is far greater then it is at CB, there just aren't any WRs worth it here. I could also see Derrick Harvey or Phillip Merling here.

What about the the Virginia offensive lineman - Albert?

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
End of 1st, early 2nd...

teams that could take him... Philly, SF, MIA (top of the 2nd with the 32nd pick)

I only saw a few teams needing him enough over other players available.

I suppose the other team that might make some sense in taking him is NE.

And yes. i would actually be happy if the Bills took him at 11. I just think our biggest need is on the defense and WR.

shelby
04-22-2008, 08:21 PM
i like the DRC pick.

:couch:

Thanks for the input Ing!

Ebenezer
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I believe the pick will be a DB.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Appreciate the mock draft, anything to help get me through the offseason is appreciated. :up:

Disagree with a couple picks:

Atlanta: I think they take Ryan.
Oakland: Ellis would make more sense.
Buffalo: DRC, I hope not!
Minnesota: They already have 2 pro-bowl DT's, why take Balmer?

Overall, not to bad!

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 08:49 PM
i gotta be honest ing.. i hope your turn out to be an awful gm, because i hate your mock. :snicker:

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
i agree with the first two points.

i took mcfadden with the raiders just because i know how al davis's mind works. he'll take mcfadden, he won't be able to stop himself.

Atlanta needs a lot of things. I went defense, because that's how i am.

Minnesota needs a lot of things, i went best player available. This was one of a few teams i didn't like anyone available when their pick came up.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 08:54 PM
i agree with the first two points.

i took mcfadden with the raiders just because i know how al davis's mind works. he'll take mcfadden, he won't be able to stop himself.

Atlanta needs a lot of things. I went defense, because that's how i am.

Minnesota needs a lot of things, i went best player available. This was one of a few teams i didn't like anyone available when their pick came up.

I disagree about Davis, Oakland is saturated with talent at RB.. I would be awfully surprised.

Minnesota could use help in the secondary, they would be licking their chops if Jenkins or Talib was available when they picked.

Atlanta, I agree with your pick but I think they go Ryan instead.

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 08:54 PM
i gotta be honest ing.. i hope your turn out to be an awful gm, because i hate your mock. :snicker:

lol. you hate it because the WRs aren't falling to us in the 2nd. im telling you, the Bills know they won't fall to us in the 2nd.

Trust me, I think we need a big WR enough i'd trade down in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even ask for a fair deal to get there. I'd much rather get one of those WRs then a CB.

But, if we can't move back, then i see us taking the CB. He's too good, and CB is our 2nd biggest need

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
i also hate it because none of the top guys fall.. which happens every year.. it seems pretty straight forward like alot of other mocks.. i was just hoping for something different..

Tatonka
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
He's too good, and CB is our 2nd biggest need
so your of the camp that cornerbacks may lines get sacks or sacks make cornerbacks look better?

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
i also hate it because none of the top guys fall.. which happens every year.. it seems pretty straight forward like alot of other mocks.. i was just hoping for something different..

Ryan sliding to Baltimore is highly unlikely, imho.

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I disagree about Davis, Oakland is saturated with talent at RB.. I would be awfully surprised.

Minnesota could use help in the secondary, they would be licking their chops if Jenkins or Talib was available when they picked.

Atlanta, I agree with your pick but I think they go Ryan instead.

Fair enough. it would make sense for OAK not to take McFadden. But trust me... Al Davis will. It's why Davis took Fargas in the 1st round years ago... a fast 40 time. He won't be able to turn down McFadden's 4.27

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Ryan sliding to Baltimore is highly unlikely, imho.

If he gets past Atl, he has only NYJ to get past to reach Baltimore.

I think the jets like their QB position enough to skip it.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
If he gets past Atl, he has only NYJ to get past to reach Baltimore.

I think the jets like their QB position enough to skip it.

If Ryan makes it to or past 5, I think somebody trades up for him to hop infront of Baltimore.

Ingtar33
04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
i wasn't counting trades.

PECKERWOOD
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
i wasn't counting trades.

Yeah, I know.. I'm just saying.

Devin
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Ing I like it, and that line of logic is one a few here but in general a lot of the more reputable sites/guys have used.

A little surprised Albert isnt gone in the first but all in all a nice write up.

I agree completley defense makes the most sense at that pick, ill go a step furthur and say that we will have our choice of a few guys in round 2 at WR that will do just fine.

I hope you are right, a DE/CB at #11!!!!!

mysticsoto
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Ingtar, you did the right thing. Reaching for a WR is not a great option either. If DRC is available, he's a great grab. The WR draft is HUGE and we will get someone even with our 2nd or if we like, we can trade up to get one like we did with Poz. But even if we don't, we can pick up two very decent WR in this draft afterward. I even predict there will be a fair amt of UDFA WRs that we should bring in and put in the PS. Never have I seen a draft so full of quality at one position.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I like this better than Hardy being picked at all.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
WR in the second 4sure

clumping platelets
04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe we should go DE at #11 and then move up from #41 for WR

Mitchy moo
04-22-2008, 11:10 PM
:jam:

Devin
04-22-2008, 11:17 PM

:bf1:

jimbohastle51
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
i dont like the phillip merling pick that high. he has been banged up all off season and is not worth an 11th pick overall. derrick harvey is a great DE but i think that if chris long starts to fall and makes it to 5 we should try to go up and get him if we are after a DE derrick harvey is not in the same league as long. and jauron loves the character guys and long would be that. just for discusion

Ed
04-23-2008, 12:07 AM
So Ingtar, how would your mock change if you did it based on what you think will happen as opposed to what you would do as the GM of each team?

Ingtar33
04-23-2008, 02:06 AM
not a whole lot.

mostly because i don't claim to know what each team will do. I think i know what Al Davis will do (and really, that was the only pick i made as Al Davis, not as myself), and some GMs you can guess based on past experience. But in general, it's hard to mindread.

I could see a number of teams doing odd and crazy things. for example.

The NY Jets. They need a RB, i suppose you could say they need a QB, and they also need help on the DL. At no.7 there will likely be three possible (realistic) picks for them... Matt Ryan, Vernon Gholston, and Rashard Mendenhall. or they could trade down. What will the jets do here? I don't know. I would take V. Gholston. But that's me. The Jets might in the end think Mendenhall is worth a no.7. Or they might not be sold on Clemens, and take matt ryan. I'm not sold on Clemens, i just think Gholston fills a bigger and more immediate need.

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 02:17 AM
I like this scenario

Bills take DE Harvey at #11
Then take WR Nelson (Kansas St) at #41
Then move up into late 2nd or top of 3rd for CB

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Bills better take Harvey in rd 1 somewhere cuz that's who I picked in the M&T contest at BB.com :mad:

Ingtar33
04-23-2008, 02:19 AM
small note.

With the vikes - chiefs trade it's pretty obvious how the draftboard will change as a result... the top 8 will probably re-arrange to be something closer to this...

MIA - OT - Long, Jake
STL - DE - Long, Chris
ATL - DT - Dorsey, Glenn
KC - DE - Gholston, Vernon
NYJ - QB - Ryan, Matt
NE - LB - Rivers, Keith
BAL - OT - Clady, Ryan

though i'd say it's even money the jets trade down now. they need DE something desperate.

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Just say :no: to DRC :down:

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 02:24 AM
small note.

With the vikes - chiefs trade it's pretty obvious how the draftboard will change as a result... the top 8 will probably re-arrange to be something closer to this...

MIA - OT - Long, Jake
STL - DE - Long, Chris
ATL - DT - Dorsey, Glenn
KC - DE - Gholston, Vernon
NYJ - QB - Ryan, Matt
NE - LB - Rivers, Keith
BAL - OT - Clady, Ryan

though i'd say it's even money the jets trade down now. they need DE something desperate.

Ingtar, In this scenario.....would you consider the possibility of swapping picks with the Ravens to get DT Ellis? :D

Ingtar33
04-23-2008, 02:25 AM
DRC's really rather good. A little too good to pass at no.11, and in a need position. Though if you read my first post i do note that your man Harvey is nearly as likely a pick there.

Ingtar33
04-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Ingtar, In this scenario.....would you consider the possibility of swapping picks with the Ravens to get DT Ellis? :D

I don't think DT is that big a need to trade up for it.

Ingtar33
04-23-2008, 02:31 AM
I really think there will be a solid run on the d-line early.

if that happens it all but guarantees our target WRs will not drop to the 2nd round, as most of the teams that need DL help at the back of the draft also need WR help. and if the DL goes on a run early that will leave a lot of teams with WRs sitting at the top of their wish lists.

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 02:33 AM
I think the Bills could do just fine later in the draft at CB................Reggie Smith, Patrick Lee, Charles Godfrey, Antwaun Molden, Orlando Scandrick, Tyvon Branch, Chevis Jackson, or Dwight Lowery all could be possibilities

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Just say :no: to DRC :down:

Just say :no: to Harvey :down:

mybills
04-23-2008, 06:02 AM
I think the Bills could do just fine later in the draft at CB.
:hi5:
I think they'll take M. Kelly #11.

DraftBoy
04-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Love the DRC pick, very good mock! Ill be posting my final one later on today.

TigerJ
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
You've articulated the dilemma that faces the Bills very well Ingtar. They need one of the top few big receivers. None is worth at #11 pick, and none will be there when the Bills pick in round 2. It really does suck.

Michael82
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
That's what I'm starting to think is our most likely scenario. We need to do a repeat of what we did when McCargo started falling. I'm guessing we need to trade up to anywhere from pick 19 to 23 if we want one of the top WRs for our team.

DraftBoy
04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
That's what I'm starting to think is our most likely scenario. We need to do a repeat of what we did when McCargo started falling. I'm guessing we need to trade up to anywhere from pick 19 to 23 if we want one of the top WRs for our team.

McCargo wasn't falling we reached to pick him way too early imo.

Michael82
04-23-2008, 09:27 AM
The ideal scenario though is exactly what you said....hopefully Ellis, Harvey, Albert, or even DRC entices one of the teams from 15 to 22 to trade up and even if they just give us an extra 3rd rounder and a late round pick or just a 2nd rounder with the 1st, I do the trade. Then we can get our WR to fill the BIGGEST HOLE on the team, and also get some extra picks. Buffalo better be working those phones early and fast! :pray:

Michael82
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
McCargo wasn't falling we reached to pick him way too early imo.
okay, but we still got him. We should do the same thing with Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed IMO.

PECKERWOOD
04-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I think the Bills could do just fine later in the draft at CB................Reggie Smith, Patrick Lee, Charles Godfrey, Antwaun Molden, Orlando Scandrick, Tyvon Branch, Chevis Jackson, or Dwight Lowery all could be possibilities

I agree.. I don't think CB is as big of a need as some may think.(atleast with the 1st pick.) I could actually make a strong argument that drafting a FS would be the better pick. I'm really hoping for a guy like Reggie Smith that could play FS for us, or at the worst come in and be a starting CB, day 1.

clumping platelets
04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing..................trade down and grab Kenny Phillips :up: