PDA

View Full Version : Edwards, Inexperience, "Club Jauron" and the 2008 Schedule

OpIv37
04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Take a good look at the Bills' 2008 schedule. Out of the first 5 games of the season (before the bye), 4 look winnable:
Sun. 9/7 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Sun. 9/14 @ Jacksonville Jaguars
Sun. 9/21 OAKLAND RAIDERS
Sun. 9/28 @ St. Louis Rams
Sun. 10/5 @ Arizona Cardinals

The only real challenge there is Jacksonville and it's very possible that the Bills will come out of it 4-1 (however, as I previously stated, I think Buffalo will also lose to Arizona because it's a classic "trap" game, but I digress).

One of the advantages of this schedule is that the first division game for Buffalo is week 8 against Miami, so the team six games to tune up (bye is week 6). Three are against mediocre non-conference opponents (Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis).

The big disadvantage, however, is that a lot of the easier teams are in that first 5 game stretch. We have a lot of young players on this team, and while guys like Lynch and Edwards have their first full off-season of conditioning, they also don't have any more experience now than they did at the end of last season. Lynch started to come on towards the end of last season. Edwards showed some signs of improvement, but still has a long way to go.

During the last two seasons under Dick Jauron, the Bills started slow both years. Some have speculated that this is partially due to Jauron's laid-back approach to training camp. Many players have said they enjoyed his camps because they're not as rigorous as what they've endured with other teams, but the converse of that could be a lack of physical preparation once the games start to matter.

In addition, the 2007 Bills had a mid-to-late season push partially because they beat most of the teams (arguably all of the teams) that they were supposed to beat. No one expected a young, inexperienced Bills team to keep up with the Patriots, Giants, Cowboys or Steelers. But they should have beat the Ravens, Dolphins, Jets and Bengals, and they did. The problem with the 2008 schedule is that so many of the "winnable" games (for lack of a better term) come at the beginning of the season, when the Bills have been notoriously bad under Jauron.

So, here's hoping for a tougher training camp to ensure the team is prepared. If the Bills get off to a slow start, don't expect another mid-season push against NE, a re-stocked Jets team, a road game at Arrowhead, the Browns on Monday night or a high-profile game against the Dolphins in Toronto. And it doesn't get any easier, with a long road trip to Denver and the Patriots again to finish out the season.

YardRat
04-22-2008, 08:21 PM
The team opened up well against New England in '06, hanging with them for the entire game. Denver last year was another good defensive effort. Both losses were, IMO, more attributable to offensive ineptness than anything.

I don't want to turn this into a JP/Fairchild thread, but this year might tell us if the slow starts can be put more on Jauron's shoulders or the QB and OC.

Based on how the defense came out playing the last two years, I know what my money is on.

raphael120
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I for one am getting tired of making excuses for this team to lose certain games. The only games I don't expect them to win are the Pats games because I hold the Bills FO responsible for having rebuilt this team for 3 years, that theyre playoff ready by the 3rd year. There's absolutely no reason that this team shouldn't be ready for prime time this year and to make it to the playoffs. Like Jauron said, it's playoffs or his whole tenure here will be viewed as a failure. I think many people believe that too.

HHURRICANE
04-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I'll make predictions after the draft. Too early until this and any trade plays out.

Mitchy moo
04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Take a good look at the Bills' 2008 schedule. Out of the first 5 games of the season (before the bye), 4 look winnable:

The only real challenge there is Jacksonville and it's very possible that the Bills will come out of it 4-1 (however, as I previously stated, I think Buffalo will also lose to Arizona because it's a classic "trap" game, but I digress).

One of the advantages of this schedule is that the first division game for Buffalo is week 8 against Miami, so the team six games to tune up (bye is week 6). Three are against mediocre non-conference opponents (Seattle, Arizona, St. Louis).

The big disadvantage, however, is that a lot of the easier teams are in that first 5 game stretch. We have a lot of young players on this team, and while guys like Lynch and Edwards have their first full off-season of conditioning, they also don't have any more experience now than they did at the end of last season. Lynch started to come on towards the end of last season. Edwards showed some signs of improvement, but still has a long way to go.

During the last two seasons under Dick Jauron, the Bills started slow both years. Some have speculated that this is partially due to Jauron's laid-back approach to training camp. Many players have said they enjoyed his camps because they're not as rigorous as what they've endured with other teams, but the converse of that could be a lack of physical preparation once the games start to matter.

In addition, the 2007 Bills had a mid-to-late season push partially because they beat most of the teams (arguably all of the teams) that they were supposed to beat. No one expected a young, inexperienced Bills team to keep up with the Patriots, Giants, Cowboys or Steelers. But they should have beat the Ravens, Dolphins, Jets and Bengals, and they did. The problem with the 2008 schedule is that so many of the "winnable" games (for lack of a better term) come at the beginning of the season, when the Bills have been notoriously bad under Jauron.

So, here's hoping for a tougher training camp to ensure the team is prepared. If the Bills get off to a slow start, don't expect another mid-season push against NE, a re-stocked Jets team, a road game at Arrowhead, the Browns on Monday night or a high-profile game against the Dolphins in Toronto. And it doesn't get any easier, with a long road trip to Denver and the Patriots again to finish out the season.

OK, who stole OP's sign in codes?

SeatownBillsFan21
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
3-2

OpIv37
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I'll make predictions after the draft. Too early until this and any trade plays out.

here's what I hate about that kind of logic: if we can improve through the draft, so can our opponents. Granted, not every team will be equally successful in filling holes, and it's easier for players in some positions to make immediate impacts than at others. But we can't automatically assume that we're going to gain ground on other teams through the draft.

Mitchy moo
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
But we can't automatically assume that we're going to gain ground on other teams through the draft.

Considering that every freaking team in the AFC east drafts before us in the first round, this holds pretty true.

Ed
04-23-2008, 12:26 AM
I'd say the Everett injury was a pretty significant contributing factor to our slow start last year also.

ptd86
04-23-2008, 12:43 AM
i think everyone is underrating the cardinals and rams a lot, rams were really banged up last year and will be at full strength next year. Bulger jackson and a solid wr core with a good draft they'll be good. Cards are always a wild card. I definitly think those two games will be a lot harder than everyone is making it seem.

feelthepain
04-23-2008, 01:33 AM

I think the first three weeks of your season you face three of the best defenses in the league. I would not consider them easy games.

casdhf
04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
you're all hart, bro.

HHURRICANE
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
here's what I hate about that kind of logic: if we can improve through the draft, so can our opponents. Granted, not every team will be equally successful in filling holes, and it's easier for players in some positions to make immediate impacts than at others. But we can't automatically assume that we're going to gain ground on other teams through the draft.

That's not what I said. I said after the draft and ANY TRADES THAT PLAY OUT!!

Is the team better if Williams comes here form Detroit?

Your thread might be 100% accurate but until Sunday night I'm waiting. It's premature.

historypete
04-23-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm all for making training camp a bit tougher. Working it last year, it always seemed Jauron was cutting practices short. I think this is a significant reason why the offense sputtered, although that guy who is now at CSU was the real problem. There should be more 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 scrimmaging. Practices should probably be more intense especaially since they significantly limit the two-a-days.

Pinkerton Security
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
I think the first three weeks of your season you face three of the best defenses in the league. I would not consider them easy games.

statistically, as far as 2007 goes (and I realize they may get better, but they may also get worse), the 3 teams you're talking about rank as such in total defense:

JAX - 12
Sea- 15
Oakland - 22

Granted, they ARE good defenses, just not great ones. I do probably consider JAX as one of the best. Just not the others.

The Answer
04-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I honestly think this offense is going to surprise a lot of people and Studwards will be among the league leaders in passing in 2008.

Also look for the defense to be ahead of the offense early in the season which is typical for most teams that have a lot of personel changes.

~The Answer

yordad
04-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm with Hhurricane. I'm waiting until Sunday night to make my official 16-0 prediction. :D:

yordad
04-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Granted, they ARE good defenses, just not great ones. I do probably consider JAX as one of the best. Just not the others.Is that before or after they lost their stud DT? :dance:

Pinkerton Security
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Is that before or after they lost their stud DT? :dance:

HIGH FIVE!

hes gonna pick up pocket hercules and shove him down his pants, wipe his behind with him, and then throw him out of the stadium.

tat2dmike77
04-23-2008, 03:39 PM
No matter what happens OP i'm sure you will be your usual self when it comes to the bills.

raphael120
04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
No matter what happens OP i'm sure you will be your usual self when it comes to the bills.

Only when the Bills are their usual sucky-selves.