PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that the bills still have weaknesses?

jchild178
04-15-2003, 09:50 PM
1.) God forbid travis henry goes down!...Enough said!!

2.) God forbid Drew goes down...i like vanpelt but it seems like he has no arm strength and no zip on the ball, what im saying is that i dont have alot of faith in him...maybe im wrong

3.) We have blocking TE's but where's the pass catching one? Correct me if im wrong but isnt it good to have at least one good pass catching TE?!

4.) I sure hope Trey Teague can stay healthy! I'de kinda like to see us have more depth in that area.

5.) I can barely think of any weaknesses on Defense but if i had to say one it would probably be at DE but i personally feel that's going to be taken care of in this years draft

Maybe theres more areas that we could improve on but these are the only ones that came to my mind, let me know what you guys think!

Schobel94
04-15-2003, 09:56 PM
You can say those things to most of the teams. What if Ricky Williams went down? Or Peyton Manning, or Chad Pennington? Or Ladanian Tomlinson? Those teams would be screwed! The best thing we can do is provide good depth, add an RB, draft or sign a competent backup at guard or center. As for starters, we could use a pass rushing DE to at least play on passing downs. I agree we need a pass catching TE, someone who can get open upfield. I say we draft Dallas Clark, but I doubt he will be there at our 2nd pick, if he is we better snag him.

SoCalBillsFan
04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
our biggest weakness in terms of starting is the safety position..wire still has a lot to learn and prileau just isnt that good..reese isn't anything special either. I really think safety is the weakest position on the team.

in terms of depth, the most important is getting another RB. It would be nice to add WR, OL as well, possibly others, but im not worried about those as much. Injuries will hurt any team.

personally, I think AVP is the perfect backup QB. He knows his role is a backup, he prepares well, he is halfway decent. cant ask for too much more without a QB controversy these days.

BillsMan80
04-15-2003, 11:26 PM
For everyone who seems comfortable at RB, I am pretty suprised. If Travis goes down, it's over to put it bluntly unless we get someone to carry the load. We are looking for depth now, and in the case of our draft position, we are looking for depth. Anyone we draft will not be starting, and that's pretty much a sure thing. The lack of depth at RB is scary. Sammy Morris? Joe Burns? Would any of you trust them to carry the rock for a 4+ game stretch if Travis went down? God no, I wouldn't. RB is a position that must be addressed, and that is the position I think we need to stress. RB has the least amount of depth on this team.

QB-We have AVP who we have some confidence in
RB-Nothing
FB-Crosby is fine
WR-Needs some depth
TE-Ok, but could use an upgrade
OT-Fine here
OG-Needs some depth
OC-Backup needed

DT-Fine here
DE-Fine here, only question mark is Denney, but we can't give up on him yet
OLB-Some depth couldn't hurt
ILB-Spoon returns
CB-Good depth here
S-Some work wouldn't hurt.

RB is our biggest glaring weakness.

Tatonka
04-15-2003, 11:29 PM
you seem to forget that sammy morris has done ok for a short stint as the starter, two years ago..

i am not saying that we shouldnt draft someone.. but i have confidence that morris would be ok for a few games..

BillsMan80
04-15-2003, 11:31 PM
I don't. He showed a little in a stretch of 2 or so games, but hasn't done squat since. Sammy Morris is a better FB too IMO and is more of a ST/FB type IMO. Not really a RB.

ublinkwescore
04-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Sammy Morris looked good to me too - he won't be a permanent fix, but he's enough of a threat to make the opposing D play us honest.

jchild178
04-16-2003, 12:16 AM
would you guys take McGahee with our first round pick in the draft?

RedEyE
04-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Morris is a fine back up. The way some of you are talking you would have us think that Henry is going to sustain a career ending injury this season. I like little Joe Burns too. he showed promise last pre-season. BTW, Bryson is still recovering from his knee surgery and won't be making the Lions 1st camp. The Bills dumped him for a reason.

HenryRules
04-16-2003, 07:26 AM
We don't need a backup just in case Henry gets injured ... if we're going to a power running game like everyone assumes, we need a backup running back who can carry the ball 4 or 5 times a game.

Our coaches don't want that guy to be Sammy Morris that's why he didn't get more than 5 carries all year last year. So regardless of whether we feel he's a capable backup, we need someone else.

Stewie
04-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
Sammy Morris? Joe Burns? Would any of you trust them to carry the rock for a 4+ game stretch if Travis went down? God no, I wouldn't. RB is a position that must be addressed, and that is the position I think we need to stress. RB has the least amount of depth on this team.
RB is our biggest glaring weakness.

Why does no one remember that Sammy Morris played decently in 2000 when he actually got an opportunity?

He had a 3.7 yard average with 5 TD's in 9 starts (rookie yr)

Travis had a 3.4 yard average with 4TD's in 13 starts (rookie yr)

Sammy Morris is a good back. He'll be fine if someone just gives him the damn ball....

BillsMan80
04-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Sammy Morris is an average backup, but a below average starter. Please...Morris has no where near the ability of Travis. Morris cannot carry the load should Travis go down.

Stewie
04-16-2003, 05:20 PM
I didn't mean to imply Morris is as good as Henry, I don't think he is. But he can put out decent numbers in spot duty.

Dozerdog
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by jchild178
would you guys take McGahee with our first round pick in the draft?

NOPE

XNOUGHT
04-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Special teams.
Coaching

You guys lost Charlie Rogers, dotn have a respectable kicker, and gave up a few long TD's in the passing game. That needs improvement,

Coaching.......39 yards line......punt.

Doc
04-16-2003, 07:09 PM
What is your team XNOUGHT? I hope it's not Miami.

As for McGahee, he won't help this year. I say pull Simonton back from NFLE and groom him.

As for safety, I like Prioleau at SS if Wire falters. He showed me a lot at the end of 2001. Reese is a solid FS, but admittedly nothing great. He'll be a huge upgrade over Prioleau there, though.

SoCalBillsFan
04-16-2003, 07:27 PM
it was the 32 yard line. get it right.

TigerJ
04-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Overall, I think the Bills are in pretty good shape. However there is no such thing as a team that can't be improved. Here's my take.

QB-AVP will get us through a game or two. If DB goes down for
a long stretch, forget any dreams of the playoffs. It's a rare
team that has two guys who are both good enough to start.
RB-Again, we could get by for a game or two with Morris et al.
FB-Crosby is probably able to be a productive starter.
WR-I think we're OK here. I'd like to get one more quality guy
with some speed.
TE-A guy with some hands and speed would be nice.
OT-Good shape
OG/OC-Better depth is desirable

DT-Need a future starter to go with to current and aging starters. DE-Lots of ?s. Can Jones come back? Can Denney ever develop?
Need to draft one more guy.
OLB-Higher quality depth couldn't hurt
ILB-Spoon returns
CB-3 deep is OK 4 deep would be better.
S-Need a stud at FS,

TigerJ
04-16-2003, 11:17 PM
I think I've seen hints Xnought is a fin fan. I hope he gets a look at Ingtar's assessment of Fiedler's future on another thread (Hint: It's not good.) and the potential impact of Brian Griese on the Miami lockerroom. (Hint: It's not good either.)

eyedog
04-17-2003, 08:27 AM
In the draft we need, one interior 0-lineman, one running back, one d-tackle, one d-end, two d-backs, that is the minimum imo and that makes six players. We have seven picks I believe leaving one more player for either wide receiver, tight end, linebacker, or qb.

justasportsfan
04-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think I've seen hints Xnought is a fin fan. I hope he gets a look at Ingtar's assessment of Fiedler's future on another thread (Hint: It's not good.) and the potential impact of Brian Griese on the Miami lockerroom. (Hint: It's not good either.)

He's a Pat's fan. He actually likes blasting finfans over the Bills in FH. LOL!

TigerJ
04-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Patriots fan eh. Maybe Ingtar can reveal for us some unpleasantness on NE's roster.

TigerJ
04-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Eyedog, the only adjustment I might make from your assessment is to cut back to one DB (assuming Dainon Sydney's going to work out) and draft both a WR and TE.

WCoastFin
04-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Bills still huge weaknesses, tyhe main one being Coaching staff ....horrible, just plain horrible.

Bulldog
04-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Pretty funny considering that Dave W. is one of the worst coaches in the NFL. I'll take GW any day over DW. At least the Bills never quit on their coach. Seems to be a regular occurance for the Phins, every December.