PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else getting concerned about the rest of the conference?

OpIv37
04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Forget about the Sabres for a second- let's take a look at our opponents.

The Caps are improving tremendously- the core of the team is all under 26 with the exceptions of Huet, Brashear and Kolzig.

The Penguins have two unbelievable players in Malkin and Crosby, plus Hossa (if they keep him- I don't know his contract status so he may be a rental player).

The Flyers have some good young talent and are continuing to improve.

The Canadiens don't have a star of that caliber but they are a damn solid team.

The Rangers are old but still have some left in the tank.

The window has pretty much closed on Ottawa, NJ is getting old but will be decent as long as Brodeur keeps playing- no one else in the conference is really worth mentioning at this point.

But can we keep up with these guys? The Sabres are young, but not as young as some of our opponents and we definitely lack star power. Even if I'm dead wrong about this team lacking talent (as many here have suggested), can we possibly keep up with these teams?

If I am wrong, I'm worried that we're going to be a solid team that just gets owned in the playoffs every year by a Crosby or Ovechkin.

JD
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
A few shake ups (2-3 new players) is all we need.

This team is talented but drastically needs leadership and to stock up the farm team because no matter what anyone here says, it is DWINDLING!

Typ0
04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
we have a lot of talent in our organization but not enough. And the best thing for the league would be to head in a direction where superstars rule because there is a much better story behind that...so your fears are justified. However, the organization has gotten star talent before and I'm confident they'll get it again. You have to be. They've done it enough times that it's not a fluke and they are committed. That's why you have to look past the downturns and give things a chance.

The King
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
No Respect for the B's?

Typ0
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
A few shake ups (2-3 new players) is all we need.

This team is talented but drastically needs leadership and to stock up the farm team because no matter what anyone here says, it is DWINDLING!

We could really use one of those players to be a top notch performer. Maybe Miller will turn out to be that person but that has to be in question at this point. Miller is good. Having a scoring superstar in front of him who can control the tempo of the game, along with the talent we have, we would be contenders.

BlackMetalNinja
04-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Forget about the Sabres for a second- let's take a look at our opponents.

The Caps are improving tremendously- the core of the team is all under 26 with the exceptions of Huet, Brashear and Kolzig.

The Penguins have two unbelievable players in Malkin and Crosby, plus Hossa (if they keep him- I don't know his contract status so he may be a rental player).

The Flyers have some good young talent and are continuing to improve.

The Canadiens don't have a star of that caliber but they are a damn solid team.

The Rangers are old but still have some left in the tank.

The window has pretty much closed on Ottawa, NJ is getting old but will be decent as long as Brodeur keeps playing- no one else in the conference is really worth mentioning at this point.

But can we keep up with these guys? The Sabres are young, but not as young as some of our opponents and we definitely lack star power. Even if I'm dead wrong about this team lacking talent (as many here have suggested), can we possibly keep up with these teams?

If I am wrong, I'm worried that we're going to be a solid team that just gets owned in the playoffs every year by a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Montreal is a damn solid team... with 10 people under contract for 09-10... and 3 for the following year.

Pittsburgh... they have 8 for for 09-10, 2 for the following year, Hossa is a rental and Malkin is an RFA after this upcoming season.

Philly is the one you should be scared of... They've got almost everybody coming back the next two years and have Briere, Timmonen, Gagne, Hartnell, and Mike Richards locked up beyond that.

JD
04-25-2008, 06:44 PM
I doubt Hossa is a rental, how could you let him slide by?

BlackMetalNinja
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I doubt Hossa is a rental, how could you let him slide by?
My point being he's a UFA after the season.

Typ0
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I've arrived at the conclusion that the league is fixed.

LtFinFan66
04-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I've arrived at the conclusion that the league is fixed.:rolleyes:

Why would they fix the league in probably the least popular of the major sports:idunno:

Nighthawk
04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
The conference is very average...and we are seeing it play out in these playoffs. A few good, smart moves and any team can leap frog to the top.

Typ0
04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Why would they fix the league in probably the least popular of the major sports:idunno:

to survive.