PDA

View Full Version : And at No17, Buffalo draft ... James Hardy

kernowboy
04-24-2008, 09:17 AM
R1. Trade down with KC Chiefs for No17 and No66.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
17. James Hardy, WR, 6f6, 220lbs, 4.48<o:p></o:p>
This years draft has several WR all with issues. My early favourite Adarius Bowman has almost dropped out of the draft (more later). Deshawn Jackson doesn’t have the size, Malcolm Kelly has been slow. So it comes down to Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas, and James Hardy. Sweed has had a wrist injury plus is a poor blocker and only one year of decent production. Thomas is another with only production in his senior year (1260yds, 79catches, 12TDs) However, the year before he had 90yds total. Hardy has some character issues but has cleaned up his act over the last couple of years. He’s had at least 10TDs every season and his final year was 79catches for 1125yds and 16TDs. I take Hardy as the guy with best current production but also best size and maybe best upside. He won’t last beyond the Titans at No24.<o:p></o:p>
I think Thomas will be this year’s Robert Meacham and Kelly this year’s Dwayne Jarrett .. for me Hardy could be the Dwayne Bowe, who might not start the opening season game but will be starting after the bye<o:p></o:p>
** Ideally I’d like to trade down 4-5 places again and pick up a fourth rounder to spend on a RB like Ray Rice if he slips or Steve Slaton as I’d like better RB depth here behind Lynch, but I am not sure that the risk would be worth it.<o:p></o:p>
R2. 41. Dre Moore, DL, 6ft4, 311lbs, 4.88<o:p></o:p>
I did think about a CB or TE here, but despite picking up Stroud and Johnson, I think more work needs to be done. Denney, Kelsay, Stroud and McCargo carry injury flags and I don’t think Johnson has the speed to play outside. Williams is an overachiever who will always be limited. I considered a DL with the R2 pick and having realised that there are loads of CBs and TEs who will all be upgrades and available in R3 I have gone for the versatile Dre Moore. A controversial pick but one I think leaves us set in the middle for the next 5-10 years and can also shift outside to.
R3. 66. Tyvon Branch, CB, 6ft, 204lbs, 4.31<o:p></o:p>
A number of CBs we might have considered in R2 will have gone – <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Brandon</st1:place></st1:City> Flowers, Justin King – but all have character, intelligence, size and speed issues. Branch is fast, intelligent and physical. He needs to work more on some aspects of his game like playmaking and ball skills, but with James, Greer and McGee available, he can learn with Youboty and give us a couple of decent starting CBs in a couple of years. Whilst it is a need there is no compulsion to rush things.<o:p></o:p>
71. John Carlson, TE, 6ft5, 255lbs, 4.72<o:p></o:p>
I chose Carlson at this point as he does all things well enough. There are no superstar TEs in this draft, but Carlson is big enough, quick enough and does every thing well enough to be an upgrade and decent pro for many years. His final year at Notre Dame wasn’t the most impressive but neither was their QB after Brady Quinn.<o:p></o:p>
R4. 114. Owen Schmitt, FB, 6ft2, 248lbs, 4.73<o:p></o:p>
We need a FB and we need one who can hammer. Only Hester is more versatile than Schmitt and Hills receives better, but we need a blocker who can clear lanes for Marshawn first and foremost. Schmitt can also enjoy a gallop which is an additional bonus<o:p></o:p>
132. Mike McGlynn, OL, 6ft4, 311lbs, 5.35<o:p></o:p>
We are now getting into depth territory. <st1:City w:st="on">Butler</st1:City> did well at RG and <st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City> was a surprise but they are backed up by Estes and <st1:place w:st="on">Preston</st1:place>. We need better depth here. McGlynn is a college RT who can definitely move inside. At worse he could even be a C. <o:p></o:p>
R5. 147. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Trevor Scott</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">DE</st1:State></st1:place>, 6ft5, 255lbs, 4.54<o:p></o:p>
We need a bit more depth behind Schobel. Scott has outstanding measurables and whilst very inexperienced can learn behind a sack master. Can get bigger and be used as a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rusher as Mark Anderson was in his rookie season at the Bears. He gives us our 4<SUP>th</SUP> decent DE.<o:p></o:p>
R6. 179. Andy Studebaker, SLB, 6ft4, 255lbs, 4.49<o:p></o:p>
Looking at our depth, we have Ellison backing up Mitchell, DiGiorgio backing up Poz and a suspended Haggan behind Crowell. From DIII <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Wheaton</st1:City></st1:place> he is a DE who is known to all 32 teams and who can easily move to SLB.<o:p></o:p>
R7.219. Kyle Wright, QB, 6ft4, 220lbs, 4.60<o:p></o:p>
Well regarded out of high school but average in college. He did however play for the worst Hurricanes team in living memory and had an awful coach by all accounts. At both the combine and on his Pro Day, he’s turned up and impressed with his work ethic. A prospect who just needs the right coach, he could become our Matt Moore, a decent backup with starting potential<o:p></o:p>
224. Marcus Henry, WR, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kansas</st1:place></st1:State>, 6ft4, 205lbs, 4.46 <o:p></o:p>
More height in a small corps wouldn’t go amiss. Might only be our 5<SUP>th</SUP> WR but does give depth and works hard<o:p></o:p>
251. Robbie Powell, C, Purdue, 6ft5, 307lbs, 5.08<o:p></o:p>
Another solid player not heavily recruited, as needed financial support but got in the line-up and stuck through hard work first at LG and then for two years at C. Quality depth that might surprise.<o:p></o:p>
I have overlooked some character issues and focused on those guys who have come back and worked hard and who will provide solid effort for the team.

Mahdi
04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I would be happy with this draft.

Tatonka
04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
good draft except for wright.. he blows nuts.. but the rest is awesome.

kernowboy
04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
good draft except for wright.. he blows nuts.. but the rest is awesome.

I think Wright didn't do well in college but has impressed in interviews and willingness to put in extra practice and work. There have been several players less than stellar in college but done well in the pros. He has the physical tools and with the right coaching will be a good backup at QB.

NC-BILLS44
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I like Owen Schmitt at FB. He's a battering ram.

mikemac2001
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
i still like lito and hardy better but

bigbub2352
04-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Nice Job, i like Sweed or Thomas at 17 instead of Hardy, and i think Scott in the 5th round is a bit of a reach but i like the draft

ddaryl
04-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Nice Job, i like Sweed or Thomas at 17 instead of Hardy, and i think Scott in the 5th round is a bit of a reach but i like the draft

stack up the career college stats of thomnas and Sweed vs: hardy

Hardy has 36 TD's in 32 college games... that's consistency.

Mahdi
04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
stack up the career college stats of thomnas and Sweed vs: hardy

Hardy has 36 TD's in 32 college games... that's consistency.
Dang... thats some serious production.... I have a feeling the Bills will be unpredicable and snatch this kid...

RockStar36
04-24-2008, 01:12 PM
:rofl:

I thought I got rid of Kyle Wright

kernowboy
04-24-2008, 01:23 PM
You just cannot look past Hardy's production

73 more catches than Thomas
16 more TDs than Thomas
766 yds more than Thomas

in one fewer college game

And for the last two years, Hardy has been clear of character issues.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
3 inches taller, too. I'd be satisfied with Hardy.

Gunzlingr
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I like it alot.

Philagape
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Sweed at 17