PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs situation could impact Bills

Bill Cody
04-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Most mock drafts up to very recently had Chris Long going in the top 4 picks. But recent mocks have St. Louis opting for Glen Dorsey with Chris Long slipping to the Chiefs at 5. The Chiefs #1 need is OL but they just traded all pro DE Jared Allen to the Vikings for their 1st and 3rd so Long will be too good to pass up if he's there at 5. Which means...the Chiefs know the good tackles will be gone by 17 when they pick again. If Ryan Clady is on the board at 11 they will be calling the Bills to see if we want to move down, knowing we want Thomas but that 11 is a big reach for him. Would we take their high 3rd to move down 6 spots? I think so. It's such an obvious move for both teams in might just happen.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I posted a thread on a possible trade scenario with the Chiefs based on precisely this premise a little while ago.

Mike Francesa, of the Mike and the Mad Dog Show on WFAN radio and the YES television network, who is a friend of Parcells and has contacts in the NFL said on Wednesday that the Chiefs were supposedly very impressed with Matt Ryan and may be thinking about taking him with the 5th pick if he is there. If that is true, that could also really help the Bills as well.

With J.Allen gone, the Chiefs need a pass rusher. They also desperately need a LT. Even if they don't take Ryan, with Minny's pick at # 17 and all of the 3rd round picks that they have, they certainly have the wherewithal to fill both of those needs by making a deal with the Bills.

Draft Boy posted precisely what picks would have to be exchanged to make it an even deal, but, with the 17th pick in the first round and KC's third round pick, the Bills would be in a position to take a CB at # 17 and then make a deal with Seattle (C.Brown reported on BB.com that the Seahawks were looking to trade out of the 1st Round) and take one of the big WRs (maybe not Thomas, but Kelly, Hardy and Sweed would probably still be available there).

This could be an ideal situation for the Bills and Chiefs, who could end up with Long and Clady or Clady and Harvey, if they could get a deal done.

Bill Cody
04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
I posted a thread on a possible trade scenario with the Chiefs based on precisely this premise a little while ago.

Mike Francesa, of the Mike and the Mad Dog Show on WFAN radio and the YES television network, who is a friend of Parcells and has contacts in the NFL said on Wednesday that the Chiefs were supposedly very impressed with Matt Ryan and may be thinking about taking him with the 5th pick if he is there. If that is true, that could also really help the Bills as well.

With J.Allen gone, the Chiefs need a pass rusher. They also desperately need a LT. Even if they don't take Ryan, with Minny's pick at # 17 and all of the 3rd round picks that they have, they certainly have the wherewithal to fill both of those needs by making a deal with the Bills.

Draft Boy posted precisely what picks would have to be exchanged to make it an even deal, but, with the 17th pick in the first round and KC's third round pick, the Bills would be in a position to take a CB at # 17 and then make a deal with Seattle (C.Brown reported on BB.com that the Seahawks were looking to trade out of the 1st Round) and take one of the big WRs (maybe not Thomas, but Kelly, Hardy and Sweed would probably still be available there).

This could be an ideal situation for the Bills and Chiefs, who could end up with Long and Clady or Clady and Harvey, if they could get a deal done.

The draft situation seems to be firming up a bit with the early picks. If St. Louis goes with Dorsey then Atl will take Ryan. McFadden could then go to Oakland leaving Long for the Chiefs. My point was if they get Long they will be much more likely to want to move up from 17 because they are absolutely desperate for Ol help.

kernowboy
04-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I think that even with the Chiefs No17 and No66 it would be an attractive deal, but the Chiefs could overpay as the talent available at DE and LT does drop off.

I disagree with the need to go CB first. I think there is enough depth we can get a decent CB in R3 and with James, Greer and McGee in the fold, plus Youboty developing I think we could go WR first.

Personally I'd grab James Hardy at No17, Dre Moore at No41 as he can cover our injury prone DTs and DEs, Tyvon Branch at No66 for CB of the future and John Carlson at No71. We can get our 4th DE in R5 with Trevor Scott.

Bill Cody
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Personally I'd grab James Hardy at No17

Why not Thomas? Real good chance he'll still be there.

Ed
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
The Chiefs seem to be doing some pretty major rebuilding. Considering all their needs and the fact that they traded away their best player to aquire more picks, I just can't see them trading picks to move up. They're probably better off keeping their picks and staying where they are.

Bill Cody
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
The Chiefs seem to be doing some pretty major rebuilding. Considering all their needs and the fact that they traded away their best player to aquire more picks, I just can't see them trading picks to move up. They're probably better off keeping their picks and staying where they are.

They need a LT. All the top LT prospects will be gone by 17. The coach has already come and said that they will need to start 2 rookies from this draft on the OL. This trade would be a flat out no brainer for them if Ryan Clady, the 2nd rated OT is still on the board at 11.

kernowboy
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Why not Thomas? Real good chance he'll still be there.

Because Hardy has much better production

Thomas has 34games, 118 catches, 2024yds, 14TDs, 41% per game
Hardy has 33 games, 191 catches, 2790yds, 36TDs, 109% per game

In 2007 they were similar except Hardy scoring 16 to 8 TDs but in 2006 they started the same number of games

Thomas had 6 catches for 90 yds and 1 TD
Hardy had 51 catches for 772yds and 10 TDs

One season wonder v steady consistent and huge redzone threat.

Bill Cody
04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Because Hardy has much better production

Thomas has 34games, 118 catches, 2024yds, 14TDs, 41% per game
Hardy has 33 games, 191 catches, 2790yds, 36TDs, 109% per game

In 2007 they were similar except Hardy scoring 16 to 8 TDs but in 2006 they started the same number of games

Thomas had 6 catches for 90 yds and 1 TD
Hardy had 51 catches for 772yds and 10 TDs

One season wonder v steady consistent and huge redzone threat.

There are reasons why Hardy probably won't even go in the 1st round. But beating his girlfriend and her son is enough to make me hope we pass on him. Thomas is faster and has the greater upside.