PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bills take Willis McGahee with the #23 pick?

jchild178
04-16-2003, 12:19 AM
i seriously think i would for 2 reasons...

1.) we definitely need a good backup behind Travis Henry!

2.) i know we could use another DE or DT but this year its so deep at those positions in the draft

lordofgun
04-16-2003, 12:30 AM
NO. Way too big of a risk at this point.

RedEyE
04-16-2003, 12:41 AM
I like him, but I wouldn't waste a first round on him. He isn't going to be drafted until Sunday.

jchild178
04-16-2003, 12:48 AM
no way he'll be gone on saturday 4 sure! im almost positive he'll be gone before the second round

RedEyE
04-16-2003, 01:03 AM
I hope your right for his sake. I'd take him in the 3rd.

The_Philster
04-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Not a chance. You don't waste a #1 pick on someone who's hardly going to see the field.

Throne Logic
04-16-2003, 06:14 AM
Thurman Thomas

don137
04-16-2003, 06:19 AM
Thurman was a second round pick and was able to contibute his rookie year effectively. Not many people that have had this type of injury have been effective the next year. He blew out his knee in high school too. He is a great RB but considering his injury history I say forget it for at least the first two rounds.

Throne Logic
04-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Point is that he was picked on the first day.

I think we are in a position this year to take a risk in the draft. Have the team doctors and Rusty take a look-see at him and his knee. If they feel good about it, why not go for it?

You see, there isn't likely to be any player at the #23 pick who will make any significant impact on the team this year. Why not take one with an extremely high upside? This team has more depth than people are giving it credit for.

Stewie
04-16-2003, 07:12 AM
If he's still there at the end of the second round, I'd make a trade to move up 15 spots (from our third rounder) and pick him up.. After picking from a DE/DT/TE with the first two picks.

Dozerdog
04-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Absolutely not.

EWe have a 1400 yard rusher already. Why not draft a QB #1:dizzy:

ublinkwescore
04-16-2003, 08:22 AM
I too think we'd be wise to get a QB to start grooming - Bledsoe's not gonna be here forever.

Then I'd go DT with the second pick, and then DE, and then the best player on the board at WR, then CB and LB.

ublinkwescore
04-16-2003, 08:25 AM
QB's take a while to groom - if we get someone a la Byron Leftwich, and have him sitting under Bledsoe for a couple years, he'll hopefully be able to give Bledsoe some competition, and the better player will start while the hasbeen gets released, or continues to ride the bench.

ublinkwescore
04-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Or serves as trade bait (knowing TD - trade bait sounds more likely).

BillsMan80
04-16-2003, 08:29 AM
I would take McGahee over any of the prospects that I've seen in our spot at 23 such as Haynes, Kelsay, Warren, etc. McGahee has an upside that none of these guys can even sniff. Haynes or Kelsay don't have that much upside. McGahee can be one of the best backs in the league. McGahee will play and lead rookies in rushing if he starts for a team. I guarantee it. Look at what NO did that one year when they had Ricky and took McAllister. This team has much more depth that anyone is willing to admit. McGahee would not be a wasted pick.

lordofgun
04-16-2003, 08:34 AM
If he starts for a team. That's a BIG if.

It will be interesting to see what his workout is like on the 22nd. Could make or break him as far as to whether he goes Saturday or Sunday.

BillsMan80
04-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Oh, I don't think there's any way he doesn't go on Saturday in fact, I can't see him falling out of the 1st Round. If he doesn't do well in his workout, the lowest he'll fall IMO is early 3rd.

lordofgun
04-16-2003, 08:37 AM
What if his leg falls off? :snicker:

Ebenezer
04-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by jchild178
i seriously think i would for 2 reasons...

1.) we definitely need a good backup behind Travis Henry!

2.) i know we could use another DE or DT but this year its so deep at those positions in the draft

1. You never blow a #1 on a back up...especially when the 6th leading rusher in the NFL is on your team. For reference see St. Louis Rams drafting of Trung Candidate...bet they wish they had that pick back.

2. So why wait until the middle of the second and get a guy that is not as good. You would have passed on Jim Kelly because it was a deep QB draft??

Schobel94
04-16-2003, 08:48 AM
He doesnt want to be a backup, and what if he turns out to be good? Can you say RB controversy, we can get a decent backup anywhere, RB is not a concern. Also, just becuase the draft is deep at D-line doesnt mean you'll get the same quality in the second round as in the first. I'd take Michael Haynes over Calvin Pace or Cory Redding any day.

don137
04-16-2003, 08:51 AM
If his knee is healthy and he is ready to start at the caliber he played at before he would be ranked a lot higher. The chances of him being ready and playing at his pre-injury level is slim. That's why he dropped so much. A knee injury to an RB is the worse kind of injury It's comparable, if not worse, than Tommy John surgery for a pitcher.

lordofgun
04-16-2003, 08:57 AM
I think the Pats will take him with one of their 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Unless Al Davis makes one of his infamous picks and takes him in the first.

TypicalBill
04-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
What if his leg falls off? :snicker:

:eek:

sTp Scott
04-16-2003, 09:03 AM
I would love for the Bills to get Willis...He is a horse and broke my heart down in the orange bowl against my Noles last year:cry:

The Spaz
04-16-2003, 09:08 AM
You guy have got to understand something about Willis Mcgahee. The guy just didn't tear an MCL or a Acl or even a PCL he tore all three! I don't care what this guy is saying on ESPN or how his agent is hyping him up he is not going to play in 2003 period. He may try but he will pay for it in the end. It's fine for him to have confidence he i taking a major risk if he plan on pushing himself by playing this upcoming year. Go Bills!

clumping platelets
04-16-2003, 09:52 AM
NO!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-16-2003, 10:12 AM
So you are saying you want us to get rid of Henry??? The dude is only in his third year and is coming off a 1400 yard and 10 td season. Yes we need depth but we can get that in FA or in a later round. We need to put pressure on the QB..

The Spaz
04-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Some people are just crazy!:) Go Bills!

WG
04-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
NO. Way too big of a risk at this point.

Indeed he would be!

Originally posted by The Spaz
You guy have got to understand something about Willis Mcgahee. The guy just didn't tear an MCL or a Acl or even a PCL he tore all three! I don't care what this guy is saying on ESPN or how his agent is hyping him up he is not going to play in 2003 period. He may try but he will pay for it in the end. It's fine for him to have confidence he i taking a major risk if he plan on pushing himself by playing this upcoming year. Go Bills!

That's exactly right Spaz. He won't be playing this year and if he does, it'll be a huge mistake. Having said that, he'll be gone by the end of round 2 though.

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I too think we'd be wise to get a QB to start grooming - Bledsoe's not gonna be here forever.

Then I'd go DT with the second pick, and then DE, and then the best player on the board at WR, then CB and LB.

Why? I thought Drew was all that!

Drew's strengths have absolutely nothing to do with athleticism or agility. If he's truly as good as everyone says, and we'll find that out exactly this year, then he'll be fine until he's 40! He's only what, 31 this year...?

We need a DE given our situation. Let's face it, McKenzie is a backup regardless of what everyone's hopes are! Jones has risks associated w/ him. Thus the low contract relatively speaking and a three year deal w/ only 2 left before he's played a down.

Schobel?

There's no way that we don't take a DE barring some moves prior to the draft and given that one is available and worthy of selecting at 23 or near it. Our backup QBs are fine. We still don't know what Brown can do. VP, well, I think he's a #3, but the team says he's #2, so...

I can also see us taking an OL-man if one of the top guys slips. But I'd say DE, DT, OL/G in that order. We don't need Ss, LBs, WRs, TEs, QBs, RBs, or any other position nearly as bad as we need a decent pass rusher off the corner on the line. Schobel isn't that guy. Adams is a plug and that's it. PW is good but aging. McK is a backup. Jones is a risk.

We also have no OL depth other than Price at this point. Even if we sign Conaty, we still only have 2. Sullivan's G spot will be competed too.

jchild178
04-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Exactly BillsMan!! I feel the same way. I feel like this guy is way to good to pass up since we need more depth at RB

colin
04-16-2003, 11:15 AM
All we need for a new RB (I think we are gonna get one, but not in the 1st) is some pure speed. A change up back to keep Travis fresh when we pound tha ball. If he can also be a threat in the passing game, it only gets better.

I really think we are in the best freaking position, we have the most complete team we have had in many moons, a wicked set of triplets on offense, and a draft coming up with TD pulling the trigger.

I ain't mad at our prospects.