PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner

Marvelous
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Actually i really like Whitner but the pick was a total shocker for most including me.. It worked out from a point of view, but is it possible that the Bills throw a curve ball again and take someone slightly early? Like say a Wide-Out or Guard?

-I recall Pat recently complaining about the Whitner pick and it got me thinking. I am OK with the fact that we took him when/where we did. Maybe it wasn't early, meaning perhaps there really was a team about to pick him. i dunno, but i'm hoping for a solid, strong pick this season...Curious to what Zoners think about the Whitner pick and how it compaires to this years players whio are climbing up the boards FAST....

?

YardRat
04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Without a trade down, I fully expect the team to grab a WR and then watch the 'reach/*****' threads start flying.

Confused
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
If we draft a WR in the 1st, there will be no such threads posted by me.

!Papacrunk!
04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
well I'm sure someone will be on crack for making a draft predicition

RIP Ice

HHURRICANE
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
The Bills took Whitner at #8 but he was going to taken at #13 anyway. It gets annoying on the "reach" thing because we already cut Milloy and he was the 2nd best SS in the draft after Huff. Look when the next SS was taken after Whitner.

Geez already.

coastal
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
The "Donte Whitner" suprise selection is Antoine Cason for me.

PECKERWOOD
04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Without a trade down, I fully expect the team to grab a WR and then watch the 'reach/*****' threads start flying.

:wave:

patmoran2006
04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I dont mind that we "reached" for a player, or that it didnt come via a position that was a necessary a huge "need" with Whitner.

I am just unhappy that the pick was Whitner himself.. I think he's EXTREMELY AVERAGE and we could've gotten just as an effective safety much later in the draft.

Dare say.. I think if he didnt get injured, that Ko Simpson in the 4th round is just as good as Whitner.

So thats my complaint. He's not 8th overall pick productive; at least not in a good way.

This year.. Whether its DE, CB or WR with the first pick. It wont be a reach.. Lets just hope its the RIGHT player.. Sorry, but Whitner wasn't the right pick.

VeggieMan14
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I think that everyone should be happy with our pick and in 4 years we can complain about if it was a bad choice or not. Personally at the time i thought the Whitner pick was awful and now that i see how it played out i trust in who they pick. It is what it is and nobodys gonna change it so lets just be happy:D:

Marvelous
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I wasnt mad about the pick because i was really missing The Henry Jones era. But i agree w/Pat about the fact that we coulda gotten similar production later in the draft. I think Safety & Guard are not worthy of an early 1st rounder unless they are freak types etc. I don't think Whitner is that kind of freak like Sean Taylor(rip),Troy Polam*(^#, etc. He is withuot a doubt solid butis that basedd on tackle stats? Same as Poz(whom i love & my wife REALLY loves(, seems like we were the ideal situation for a SS ^ more recently a MLB to come in and be a tackle machine, Unless of course that to be a tackle machine means said player is all that & then some. I dunno...

-Since we did go 7-9 with 20+ players on the IR and several starters OUT for season by the bye week says alot about this team & Dicks coaching etc. So i hope we get a sure thing/S-A-F-E pick. Maybe he isn't destined to be the next Boldin, but he can be a move the chains 1st down machine type etc.. CB is gonna take atleast two seasons to be shutdown.. So i guess CB scares me. I don't even know if McKelvin(sp?) is an ideal pick for us.

---OT---Is us trading for Shockey a option? Can any of these 3rd rounders or later TE's gonna beat out Robert Royal?

Meathead
04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
whitner isnt setting the league on fire but i wouldnt call him extremely average. but i will say with all the defensive additions and the return of the army of wounded players hes gonna have to make a good jump in production in this his third season to forever justify his draft position

OpIv37
04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
whitner isnt setting the league on fire but i wouldnt call him extremely average. but i will say with all the defensive additions and the return of the army of wounded players hes gonna have to make a good jump in production in this his third season to forever justify his draft position

exactly- the problem with the "reach" is that we end up paying him more, which is fine if he justifies it on the field. But so far he hasn't.

This draft makes me really uncomfortable because it looks like one of two things will happen: 1. We'll "reach" for a WR and overpay a guy who's not really worth it or 2. we'll go BPA and NOT get a first day receiver, which is by far this team's most glaring hole.

Best case scenario: trade down with Philly- maybe swap 1sts and a 3rd for Lito Sheppard- then take a WR later in the first.

Oaf
04-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I was pissed because I REALLY wanted Huff so when I saw ANOTHER safety I had barely heard about right after Huff's pick, it made me think the Bills were REALLY desperate for a safety and reached big time after their top choice got robbed. Turned out quite alright though.

Marvelous
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
OP, dude, you don't think there will be a worthy Wide-out available with our 2nd?

--Worst case(strictly IMO) we trade to top 6 picks of the 2nd round and grab a fallen stud WR like Hardy,Sweed,Kelly ETC
--That's not counting the 4 rumors i just read on Buffalo News about us trading for RoyWilliams,Anq.Boldin,ChadJohnson and Best of all---SHOCKEY! Typing "Shockey" just gave me chills... :drool:
---Modrak is brilliant. Ourdrafts have been pretty awesome....

Devin
04-25-2008, 12:52 AM

Agree completley, Whitner has been just above average imo. Given our additions and the return of the walking dead he needs to up it a notch this year.