PDA

View Full Version : And at No41 the Bills draft ... Dre Moore

kernowboy
04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes, more help on the Defensive Line.

Well I'll try to explain my rational with 10 points.

1. Is McCargo ready or able to be a full time starter?
2. Kelsay, Stroud, Denney and McCargo have injury flags. Considering our ability to accumulate injuries we need as many versatile guys as possible
3. Johnson is not a full time starter at 286lbs and Williams is one dimensional. If we had to start these guys in the middle we are in big big trouble
4. We need a TE, but can still grab a decent one in R3. The fall off in talent on the DL is much steeper and quicker in this draft
5. We don't need a superstar CB and with four with starting ability on the roster, we can afford to wait until Day2 for a Branch or Lee or Molden to develop.

6. Moore is a unique physical specimen. 6ft4, 311lbs and running a 40 in 4.82-4.88 - that's as quick as Jared Allen and much quicker than Calais Campbell
7. He terrorised defences from the NT position so would be a great partner for Stroud, often getting in the backfield. He hammered West Virginia containing Pat White, Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt.
8. He has the speed and energy to be a decent LE if Denney and Kelsay went down
9. He might be raw and undisciplined but according to Maryland has improved his work ethic to add to his speed and his 'nastiness'
10. With Stroud he presents a brick wall to the opposition, and I for one, am tired of thinking that keeping an opponents RB under 5yds a carry is a good day.

I think we definitely need to get one of the big three at WR in R1, but think that CB can now wait until R3 and with a trade down in R1, the extra pick in R3 can be used on a TE as Cottram, Carlson, Rucker and maybe Bennett will all be here. However the drop off in versatile multi dimensional DL guys is very steep after Moore

So

No17. Hardy WR (trade with Chiefs)
No41. Moore DL
No66. Branch CB (from Chiefs)
No71. Carlson TE

patmoran2006
04-25-2008, 07:00 AM
OMG, you dont stop with this guy.. THis team is NOT drafting a DT.. You are nuts man.

This is worse than the Ted Lehman free agent crusade.

Why make a DT into a project DE? IF we need a DE, how about we draft one? LIke maybe Harvey at 11, or someone else in an earlier round.

patmoran2006
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Did you not watch the back end up of the Bills season and see McCargo blowing up plays in the backfield as he go more playing time?

Do you not realize we gave good FA money to Spencer Johnson, who was stuck behind Pat and Kevin Williams in Minnesota?

And we still have Kyle Williams, who started last year and is now probably our 4th DT.

We are not taking Dre Moore. Sorry

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Yes, more help on the Defensive Line.

Well I'll try to explain my rational with 10 points.

1. Is McCargo ready or able to be a full time starter?
2. Kelsay, Stroud, Denney and McCargo have injury flags. Considering our ability to accumulate injuries we need as many versatile guys as possible
3. Johnson is not a full time starter at 286lbs and Williams is one dimensional. If we had to start these guys in the middle we are in big big trouble
4. We need a TE, but can still grab a decent one in R3. The fall off in talent on the DL is much steeper and quicker in this draft
5. We don't need a superstar CB and with four with starting ability on the roster, we can afford to wait until Day2 for a Branch or Lee or Molden to develop.

6. Moore is a unique physical specimen. 6ft4, 311lbs and running a 40 in 4.82-4.88 - that's as quick as Jared Allen and much quicker than Calais Campbell
7. He terrorised defences from the NT position so would be a great partner for Stroud, often getting in the backfield. He hammered West Virginia containing Pat White, Steve Slaton and Owen Schmitt.
8. He has the speed and energy to be a decent LE if Denney and Kelsay went down
9. He might be raw and undisciplined but according to Maryland has improved his work ethic to add to his speed and his 'nastiness'
10. With Stroud he presents a brick wall to the opposition, and I for one, am tired of thinking that keeping an opponents RB under 5yds a carry is a good day.

I think we definitely need to get one of the big three at WR in R1, but think that CB can now wait until R3 and with a trade down in R1, the extra pick in R3 can be used on a TE as Cottram, Carlson, Rucker and maybe Bennett will all be here. However the drop off in versatile multi dimensional DL guys is very steep after Moore

So

No17. Hardy WR (trade with Chiefs)
No41. Moore DL
No66. Branch CB (from Chiefs)
No71. Carlson TE
Actually it wouldnt surprise me to see the Bills take a guy like Dre Moore or even Pat Sims. Dre Moore is a prototypical cover 2 DT and if he is high on the Bills board regardless of need, they might just take him if he is there in the second round.

alohabillsfan
04-25-2008, 07:31 AM
I can't see us taking a DT before the 4th round comp pick...
We need with our first 4 picks the following in no paticular order

WR
TE
C/G
CB

patmoran2006
04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
BTW Kern.

I dont have any problem with Moore.. He's a good player.

He's just not what the Bills are going to target.

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I can't see us taking a DT before the 4th round comp pick...
We need with our first 4 picks the following in no paticular order

WR
TE
C/G
CB
Whats wrong with: WR, DT, TE, DE, CB,

Jan Reimers
04-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Whats wrong with: WR, DT, TE, DE, CB,
My favorite (which I realize will probably never happen) is: WR, TE, WR, CB, DE, DT.

kernowboy
04-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Did you not watch the back end up of the Bills season and see McCargo blowing up plays in the backfield as he go more playing time?

Do you not realize we gave good FA money to Spencer Johnson, who was stuck behind Pat and Kevin Williams in Minnesota?

And we still have Kyle Williams, who started last year and is now probably our 4th DT.

We are not taking Dre Moore. Sorry

And what about Stroud, Kelsay, McCargo and Denney's injury history?
Spencer Johnson is not big enough to be a full time starter.
We can easily do with Williams what Denver did with Chris Myers - trade him if we are able to upgrade.

As I mentioned we should go WR in R1.

At CB there will be as much quality in R3 as in R2
And at TE there will be as much quality in R3 as in R2
But at DL, the fall off in quality after R2 for our type of defence is significant.

If McCargo does his foot again, Johnson cannot fill the breach
Is Stroud going to be 100% the player before his ankle?

I have considered it as a combination of potential need/BPA

Why draft a CB or TE with our 2nd rounder when we can get a guy of similar quality in these positions in R3

Unless Pat, you feel we have sufficient picks to throw them away?

Failing to pick Moore if he's available will be similar to the failure to pick Ngata.

kernowboy
04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
and we shouldn't over reach for players just because they fill a need.

We can easily get a C/G in R4 who will be as good as Mike Pollak in R3.

I think Mike McGlynn would be a great selection who can cover G/T, has played a little C, and can L/S - and he should be there with our R4 Supp.

I have suggested

17 Hardy WR
41 Moore DT
66 Branch CB
71 Carlson TE
114 Schmitt FB
132 McGlynn OL
147 Scott DE

We get all our positions filled and we don't really over reach anywhere.

Pinkerton Security
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
if you seriously think that Jabari Greer, Ashton Youboty, and William James would start for most teams in the NFL, you are on something. Even MCGee wouldnt start on probably 50% of NFL teams.

We need to adress this position in the first 3 rounds.

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
if you seriously think that Jabari Greer, Ashton Youboty, and William James would start for most teams in the NFL, you are on something. Even MCGee wouldnt start on probably 50% of NFL teams.

We need to adress this position in the first 3 rounds.
McGee would start for:

Jets, Dolphins, Pats, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Titans, Ravens, Colts, Chiefs, Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, Lions, Vikings, Cardinals, Rams, Saints, Bucs, Falcons, and Texans.

Thats 21 teams he would start for.

McGee would benefit from a pass rush like any other DB in the NFL.

Look at the difference between Minnesota and NY. NY has average CBs but their pass D is solid. Minnesota has pretty good DBs, Winfield, Sharper, Dwight Smith, Griffin but stuggle against the pass big time. Most corners in the NFL can play the question is how long do they have to play for? 2 secs? 3 secs? 4 secs? Cover 2 should give no longer than 2.5 yet the Bills were giving teams 3+ last year. McGee has all the tools just needs more support up front.

bigbub2352
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I think we grab a big body depth DT in the 3rd round or higher, i like Red Bryant, but others will be available later like Smiley who would add bulk to our depth at DT

PECKERWOOD
04-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I like Red Bryant alot more than Dre Moore. We already have enough penetrating DT's, I want a run stuffing hog who could come in if Stroud gets hurt.

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I like Red Bryant alot more than Dre Moore. We already have enough penetrating DT's, I want a run stuffing hog who could come in if Stroud gets hurt.
Dre Moore is both a run stuffer and a penetrator. He is 6'4 311.. thats pretty big. Stroud is 6'6 310, not much difference between him and Moore. In fact he seems to be a very similar player to Stroud.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Depending on what they do at the top of their draft, I think Red Bryant could be a guy that they would be interested in from the third round on, but I don't think they will go D-line before the third round at the earliest and that Bryant is the guy that they would like to have fall into their laps early in the 4th round.

Michael82
04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
My favorite (which I realize will probably never happen) is: WR, TE, WR, CB, DE, DT.
That's my favorite too. We definitely need offense badly for this team and going WR TE WR helps fill those major holes on the team! :up: