PDA

View Full Version : Guard Albert A Rochester, NY Native

Don't Panic
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Chris Brown gave me a heads up on this via email today... I sent him an email a few weeks back (as I did for Matthews at the D and C as well). Whether or not he becomes a Bill, it's good to see a local boy make it. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6006

Here's the bulk of my email to Chris and Bob:

I wanted to bring to your attention a young man who is currently at the NFL combine who I thought you might be interested in. Branden Albert was born and raised in Rochester, NY, and he lived there until he was 16. At that point, he transfered to Glen Burnie HS in Maryland (mostly because his mother felt he wasn't progressing in his situation in NY). I was a teacher and basketball coach at the school and was thrilled to see Branden on our varsity team that winter. Instantly Branden and I hit it off due to our WNY bond (I grew up in Buffalo but moved to MD when no teaching jobs became available). Over the next two seasons, we went to the state semifinals. The first year we lost in OT, the second we lost by 2 points to Northwestern (Branden was matched up against Jeff Green for much of that game, who starred at Gtown and now plays for the Sonics). Heart breakers, but great memories. Branden was being recruited by Niagara during his senior year, and almost certainly would have been offered a scholarship, but during that time he had gotten pretty good on the football field too. Al Groh spotted something in him (not sure why Friedgen didn't, especially since Branden's brother played at Maryland), and after a year at Hargrave Military Academy, Branden was at Virginia. He started every game in his 3 seasons there and decided after this year's Gator Bowl that it was time to make the jump. I keep in touch with him often and look forward to seeing him play on Sundays next year. I thought considering his Rochester roots, he might make for a good story either this week or in the weeks leading up to the draft. I didn't notice if you guys had anyone in Indy (I'm sure you do), but I figured you were the man to bring this to. Branden is one of my favorite people in the world - extremely personable, well-mannered and charismatic. I'm sure an interview with him would leave you feeling good about one of Rochester's sons.

Michael82
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing, man! :up:

Captain gameboy
04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Truth be told, as a UVA fan and extremely close observer, I would take Brandon over Brick.

Don't Panic
04-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Truth be told, as a UVA fan and extremely close observer, I would take Brandon over Brick.

On that note... Branden told me after his 10 city tour that a lot of personnel people with the teams he visited said they thought he was a better prospect coming out than Brick. I told him you have to watch out what people say this time of year, but that is was good to hear. Take it for what it's worth.

RingofFire
04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
draft him

ParanoidAndroid
04-25-2008, 09:22 PM
My goodness....that picture of him to front the article.....he's a friggin monster!