• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Zero to Hero

I was just having a talk with a co-worker and we were talking about the daunting task of a rookie QB taking his team from dead last to a superbowl. We could only think of 3 in NFL history.

Drew Bledsoe
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning

Can you think of anymore players who turned the worst team around the year before and brought them to a Super Bowl?

Elway we thought of but he was drafted by Baltimore not Denver.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• BlackMetalNinja
    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
    • May 2005

Re: Zero to Hero

Troy Aikman did it, but it was in his 4th season I think.

Comment

• The King
      • Jun 2004

ahhh I forgot About him.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

aikman, the most overrated qb in nfl history

people always forget he had the benefit of first and second round talent at virtually every position as a result of the historic herschel walker trade fiasco as well as the girls own high picks from sucking out loud for several years prior

he had every advantage possible on what i consider to be the best nfl team ever. somebody please kill me now

you coulda put rob johnson behind center for that team and he woulda gone to probowls for half a decade

another example of the buffalo curse - we get one of the best teams ever and it just happens to be when the absolute best team ever comes of age
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Iehoshua
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Meathead
          bledsoe, the most overrated qb in nfl history
          Fixed.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
            Fixed.
            You may very well be right.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

perhaps but bledsoe is a borderline hofer and would have been every bit as good on that team, while aikman is a first time balloter so he clearly gets the alltime overrated nod in my book
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Buffatexas
                • Aug 2002

Kurt Warner?

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Buffatexas
                  Kurt Warner?
                  I thought warner was undrafted?
                  It was all

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Here's Aikmans career line

CompAtt PctYdsAvgTD/IntSckSckYRate

2,8984,71561.532,9427.0165/1412591,74881.6

Bledsoe

CompAtt PctYdsAvgTD/IntSckSckYRate

3,8396,71757.244,6116.6251/2064673,13577.1

Career wise Bledsoe basically played 6 games more than Aikman and threw for more than 12,000yard and about 90TD's
                    It was all

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

Aikman and Young fall into the same category IMO

D & S Sports

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
                        I was just having a talk with a co-worker and we were talking about the daunting task of a rookie QB taking his team from dead last to a superbowl. We could only think of 3 in NFL history.

Drew Bledsoe
                        Peyton Manning
                        Eli Manning

Can you think of anymore players who turned the worst team around the year before and brought them to a Super Bowl?
                        I don't know if you technically can include Eli Manning, since the Giants traded for him. San Diego had the first pick and took him. If you include him, you have to include John Elway.

Also, why restrict it to QB, why not all #1 overall picks? For instance, wouldn't Orlando Pace qualify? Or Irving Fryar in the Pats first Super Bowl? Or Bruce Smith?

Aikman qualifies. So doesn't Terry Bradshaw.

Comment

• The King
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by NE39
                          Also, why restrict it to QB, why not all #1 overall picks? For instance, wouldn't Orlando Pace qualify? Or Irving Fryar in the Pats first Super Bowl? Or Bruce Smith?
                          Good point, but the conversation started about how Matt Ryan is lucky the fins didnt take him. So that was just the mind set, you're right about Eli though.
                          It was all

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by MBBedard
                            Good point, but the conversation started about how Matt Ryan is lucky the fins didnt take him. So that was just the mind set, you're right about Eli though.
                            So, I guess you throw out Elway for the same reason.

Bradshaw definitely qualifies, though.

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

Roethlisberger...but the Steelers weren't dead last, but they weren't very good the year before he came in...6-10 I believe...

Comment

Working...
                              X