PDA

View Full Version : Zero to Hero

The King
04-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I was just having a talk with a co-worker and we were talking about the daunting task of a rookie QB taking his team from dead last to a superbowl. We could only think of 3 in NFL history.

Drew Bledsoe
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

Can you think of anymore players who turned the worst team around the year before and brought them to a Super Bowl?

Elway we thought of but he was drafted by Baltimore not Denver.

BlackMetalNinja
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Troy Aikman did it, but it was in his 4th season I think.

The King
04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
ahhh I forgot About him.

Meathead
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
aikman, the most overrated qb in nfl history

people always forget he had the benefit of first and second round talent at virtually every position as a result of the historic herschel walker trade fiasco as well as the girls own high picks from sucking out loud for several years prior

he had every advantage possible on what i consider to be the best nfl team ever. somebody please kill me now

you coulda put rob johnson behind center for that team and he woulda gone to probowls for half a decade

another example of the buffalo curse - we get one of the best teams ever and it just happens to be when the absolute best team ever comes of age

Iehoshua
04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
bledsoe, the most overrated qb in nfl history

Fixed.

Jan Reimers
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Fixed.
You may very well be right.

Meathead
04-25-2008, 02:11 PM
perhaps but bledsoe is a borderline hofer and would have been every bit as good on that team, while aikman is a first time balloter so he clearly gets the alltime overrated nod in my book

Buffatexas
04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Kurt Warner?

The King
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Kurt Warner?

I thought warner was undrafted?

The King
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Here's Aikmans career line

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">Comp</TD><TD _extended="true">Att </TD><TD _extended="true">Pct</TD><TD _extended="true">Yds</TD><TD _extended="true">Avg</TD><TD _extended="true">TD</TD><TD _extended="true">/Int</TD><TD _extended="true">Sck</TD><TD _extended="true">SckY</TD><TD _extended="true">Rate</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">2,898</TD><TD _extended="true">4,715</TD><TD _extended="true">61.5</TD><TD _extended="true">32,942</TD><TD _extended="true">7.0</TD><TD _extended="true">165</TD><TD _extended="true">/141</TD><TD _extended="true">259</TD><TD _extended="true">1,748</TD><TD _extended="true">81.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bledsoe

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">Comp</TD><TD _extended="true">Att </TD><TD _extended="true">Pct</TD><TD _extended="true">Yds</TD><TD _extended="true">Avg</TD><TD _extended="true">TD</TD><TD _extended="true">/Int</TD><TD _extended="true">Sck</TD><TD _extended="true">SckY</TD><TD _extended="true">Rate</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">3,839</TD><TD _extended="true">6,717</TD><TD _extended="true">57.2</TD><TD _extended="true">44,611</TD><TD _extended="true">6.6</TD><TD _extended="true">251/</TD><TD _extended="true">206</TD><TD _extended="true">467</TD><TD _extended="true">3,135</TD><TD _extended="true">77.1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Career wise Bledsoe basically played 6 games more than Aikman and threw for more than 12,000yard and about 90TD's

RockStar36
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Aikman and Young fall into the same category IMO

Ickybaluky
04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I was just having a talk with a co-worker and we were talking about the daunting task of a rookie QB taking his team from dead last to a superbowl. We could only think of 3 in NFL history.

Drew Bledsoe
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning

Can you think of anymore players who turned the worst team around the year before and brought them to a Super Bowl?

I don't know if you technically can include Eli Manning, since the Giants traded for him. San Diego had the first pick and took him. If you include him, you have to include John Elway.

Also, why restrict it to QB, why not all #1 overall picks? For instance, wouldn't Orlando Pace qualify? Or Irving Fryar in the Pats first Super Bowl? Or Bruce Smith?

Aikman qualifies. So doesn't Terry Bradshaw.

The King
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Also, why restrict it to QB, why not all #1 overall picks? For instance, wouldn't Orlando Pace qualify? Or Irving Fryar in the Pats first Super Bowl? Or Bruce Smith?

Good point, but the conversation started about how Matt Ryan is lucky the fins didnt take him. So that was just the mind set, you're right about Eli though.

Ickybaluky
04-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Good point, but the conversation started about how Matt Ryan is lucky the fins didnt take him. So that was just the mind set, you're right about Eli though.

So, I guess you throw out Elway for the same reason.

Bradshaw definitely qualifies, though.

raphael120
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Roethlisberger...but the Steelers weren't dead last, but they weren't very good the year before he came in...6-10 I believe...

The King
04-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Roethlisberger...but the Steelers weren't dead last, but they weren't very good the year before he came in...6-10 I believe...

and he wasnt the #1 pick.

The King
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
So its Peyton, Troy, Drew, and Terry

Ickybaluky
04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
So its Peyton, Troy, Drew, and Terry

I think it is more interesting that Elway and Eli Manning were both picked #1 overall by the worst team in the NFL and orchestrated a trade to another team and both were rewarded by one day becoming Super Bowl QBs. It seems that if you are a QB that goes #1 overall to a crap team, that is the way to go.

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
aikman, the most overrated qb in nfl history

people always forget he had the benefit of first and second round talent at virtually every position as a result of the historic herschel walker trade fiasco as well as the girls own high picks from sucking out loud for several years prior

he had every advantage possible on what i consider to be the best nfl team ever. somebody please kill me now

you coulda put rob johnson behind center for that team and he woulda gone to probowls for half a decade

another example of the buffalo curse - we get one of the best teams ever and it just happens to be when the absolute best team ever comes of age
Who cares if he had 1st and second round picks around him... Kelly had 3 HOFs playing on his team as well. Aikman was a good QB, great under pressure, good arm, and tough.

Mahdi
04-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I think it is more interesting that Elway and Eli Manning were both picked #1 overall by the worst team in the NFL and orchestrated a trade to another team and both were rewarded by one day becoming Super Bowl QBs. It seems that if you are a QB that goes #1 overall to a crap team, that is the way to go.
As annoying as it might seem to some fans it is the smart thing to do. Otherwise you end up like Carr, Couch, Palmer (so far), etc.

Mitchy moo
04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Troy likes guys / :poop: , so he cannot be a hero.