PDA

View Full Version : Awesome local article on Rodgers-Cromartie

Coach Sal
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
DRC played HS ball right down the road from me in Bradenton, FL. The Sarasota-Herald Tribune had an excellent piece on him today as he prepares to be drafted.

Before reading this, I wouldn't have minded if the Bills took him Saturday. After reading it, I can't help but think he'd be a terrific addition to our roster.

This is a great read on DRC, his family, and roots:

Old coaches will notice now

Rodgers-Cromartie making a big impression in draft

By ALAN DELL CORRESPONDENT

BRADENTON — When Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie walked through the graduation line at Lakewood Ranch High four years ago, he felt unnoticed and unappreciated.

Despite a better than average senior season in football, he had no scholarship offers. His only option was to go to Tennessee State because the defensive coordinator there was a longtime friend of his father and promised Stan Cromartie he would take care of his only son.

"It was a friend helping a friend. Otherwise I don't know what Dominique would've done," said Stan Cromartie, a former college basketball coach and standout basketball player at Southeast High.

Heading into Saturday's NFL draft, those who make their living judging talent project him as a first-round selection. He could go as high as seventh if the New England Patriots, who need a cornerback, choose him. In some circles, he is rated the top cornerback in the draft.

"My son has always had athletic talent. He was just never in the right situation. I say that as a coach who knows talent, not a father," Cromartie said.

It didn't help that Rodgers-Cromartie changed high schools four times in four years and never got significant playing time until he transferred to Lakewood Ranch for his senior season. Still, there was obvious talent, including incredible speed that somehow was overlooked by college coaches.

"I was surprised that I didn't have any offers. I really couldn't understand it. I was tall and fast," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "If I didn't go to Tennessee State, I would've walked on somewhere. That's why I look at the NFL draft as a blessing. If it wasn't for the support of my parents I don't know how I would've made it through all of that."

The 6-foot-11/2, 184-pounder went to Orlando Edgewater and played on the freshman team as a ninth-grader. He switched to Lake Highland Prep as a sophomore, played JV and was brought up to the varsity the following spring. But the school took away his $13,000 scholarship and he was forced to go back to Edgewater for his junior year.

Edgewater had a senior laden team that reached the state championship game that year and Rodgers-Cromartie rode the bench. He didn't want to risk another season and came to live with his mother, Melissa Rodgers, who resided in the Lakewood Ranch district.

"Dominique would come home from practice nearly every day his junior year and say he wanted to quit because he wasn't getting a chance," Cromartie said. "I wouldn't let him. I told him this is more than about just football and that if he quit he would quit other things. He stuck it out, but it wasn't easy."

"It doesn't matter to me what round I get drafted," Rodgers-Cromartie said. "The main purpose for me is to show all those kids out there not to give up. All I ever wanted was an opportunity and I know there are lot of people out there feeling the same way. My mom and dad played a big role. My mother raised me and instilled things in me that helped me through this process. She told me how important it was to stick with your goals during hard times."

Rodgers-Cromartie made a big splash at the NFL combine when he ran 4.29 seconds in the 40-yard dash and had a 38-inch vertical jump. But that was not a surprise to those who know the Cromartie family.

Charlie Cromartie, Stan's brother, was the speedster in the family and is still talked about among those who follow football in the Sarasota-Manatee area. Stan says his son inherited that speed from Charlie and athleticism has always been in the family.

"Everybody in Sarasota knows about him and many say he is best football player to come out of Sarasota," Stan said.

Charlie Cromartie never got to enjoy those gifts. He was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1973 when he was 15.

Now Dominique carries the banner that was tragically taken away from his uncle.

Once it was apparent Rodgers-Cromartie was something special, the athletic community in the area began to rally around the 22-year-old to make things easier.

Stan Cromartie talked with his best friend Herb Gainer, who played at FSU with Deion Sanders, and told him about the youngster. Sanders contacted his high-profile agent Eugene Parker, who signed Rodgers-Cromartie and his long time friend, Mike Jenkins, another cornerback from Southeast High and the University of South Florida.

Stan believes his son and Parker are the perfect fit.

"When I talked with Eugene, not once did he discredit any other agent," Stan Cromartie said. "An agent is someone who is going to negotiate a contract. He doesn't get my son drafted. We didn't pick an agent for someone who can walk with my son here and there. That's why he has a mom and dad.

"My son has not changed once since this process started. He is still a kid and it hasn't hit him yet that his life is about to change. He just turned 22."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080425/SPORTS/804250540/-1/help0501

Coach Sal
04-25-2008, 04:33 PM
It's pretty amazing actually. Mike Jenkins is also from Bradenton (Southeast HS, same as Peter Warrick and about 10-15 other past or present NFL players).

So, that one small town may have two kids - both from the same position - both get drafted in the first round of the same draft.

Mitchy moo
04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
The guy is talented and has good family support, gotta like that.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-26-2008, 02:57 AM
I love this kid would love to see him in a bills uni

alohabillsfan
04-26-2008, 05:45 AM
I just re-watched the combine in the last couple of days and the thing that struck me wasm as he was running or doind drills he would smile, like he was having fun. I just thought that he is a football player!