PDA

View Full Version : Our 2nd Pick... Initial Reaction

jamze132
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
James Hardy!!!

:nod:

This makes our 1st pick easier to swallow.

Philagape
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
If he's cleaned up his act, it's a great pick

(edited)

Ebenezer
04-26-2008, 06:22 PM
This could be a great pick. Just got to keep clean

DrastiK
It is an awesome pick. He can beat his girl all he wants. IMO

Nighthawk
Love it! Buffalo probably was pinching themselves when they say they had the choice of those 3 WRs. With Hardy sliding to them in Rd 2, this first day has been very good and they didn't have to trade any of their picks to get him. Very nice!

Novacane
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
This makes the first round pick a great pick. I can't believe they still had thier choice of Hardy, Sweed and Kelly. :up:

ParanoidAndroid
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone else surprised Avery went #1 among WR's?

Gunzlingr
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
I can say there are lots of guys I hadn't heard of going into the draft getting drafted in the first round.

kernowboy
04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
His character issues were minimal

He got suspended for 2 games at the start of 2006 for assaulting his girlfriend but the charges were dropped, an argument which got out of hand?

He has since matured and was said to be completely open and candid during the interviews.

What cannot be argued with his great physical attributes of 6ft6, 218lbs and sub 4,50 speed

and the fact he was the most productive of all the WRs with 36 Touchdowns in 33 games where he made 191 catches for 2790yds

And he has no lingering injury flags like Kelly or Sweed

hammerbillsfan
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
hold on while i drool :drool:

don137
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Buffalo has two great picks....I know many did not like McKelvin at #11 but he was worth it. No WR was worth the reach at #11 as shown by when the WRs were taken. Kudos to Bills management. I do not think there is anyone out there right now that would complain with McKelvin and Hardy the first two picks and did not trade to do it.

JD
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
lmao @ drastiks post

Night Train
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Anyone else surprised Avery went #1 among WR's?
Stunned. I saw many mocks with him going in Round 4. I think he was the 12th rated WR.

mikemac2001
They actually had it right.......i was pissed but realized we are getting a wr that we wanted in the 2nd now lets get a te

BAM
I truly believe it's possible this is the pick of the draft so far.

shelby
i am stoked!

John Doe
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe Sweed or Kelly falls to the 3rd.

Confused
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Do I have to say anything about how I feel about this pick? hahahhaha I am so happy.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I'll admit that Hardy wasn't my favorite WR in this draft class--I liked Kelly better--but I am delighted that the Bills were able to get him and McKelvin: I love this combination of picks.

Considering the way that Kelly and Sweed have fallen, I have to believe that there were real concerns about their injuries and I trust the Bills' medical people to know their business well enough that, if the Bills passed on Sweed and Kelly, there was a good reason for them to do so.

That being said, even though I think that Hardy is a little raw (compared to Kelly and Sweed), there is no denying that he has the potential to become a real monster in the NFL. In that regard, I see him being a little bit like Eric Moulds, at the same stage, but with an even greater upside if he works to develop his potential.

He's as big as Plaxico Burress and has the kind of speed where opposing defenses will have to be concerned about him going deep--which will have to help Lee Evans. He has good hands and has been very productive, especially in the red zone, in an offense where the QB was flat out awful.

What concerns me about him is that he is a "long-strider' (typical of a lot of taller WRs) and will have to improve his footwork to get separation on his cuts at the pro level. He also has a tendency to "short-arm" passes in traffic from time to time--which is a problem for a lot of receivers at this stage. That is something that he will have to work on, but I think his teammates will get on his case until he improves in this area. And, finally, he is still a little "spindly" and will need to bulk up a little (not so much that he loses speed) to be able to take the pounding he will get as a WR in the NFL--but that's something that a lot of college players coming into the NFL need to do and he certainly has a body that can easily carry more size as it matures and he works to get stronger.

While I don't think that he is a guy who will be able to immediately step in as a starter for the Bills on Opening Day, I do think that he is a guy whose mere presence on the field at times will help the Bills because he will pose a threat to defenses that they can't ignore. I also think that, if his head is on straight and he works at it, he can start to show some of his ability by mid-season and has the potential to become a terrific weapon for the team down the road.

I like the pick because, while I think he's still a bit raw, I think Hardy has the biggest upside of all of the top WRs in the draft: from a strictly physical standpoint IMHO he was the most gifted receiver in this draft. If he develops his potential, the sky is the limit--he could turn out to be and absolute monster. And, what more could you ask for?

IMHO the Bills have done extremely well in getting McKelvin and Hardy with their top two picks in this draft. They still need to add more pieces, but I think they have done a pretty good job of addressing their most pressing needs so far. Now they just need to add a TE and some depth on their lines.

Marvelous
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Outt all my friends over the years with wives & girlfriends i've NEVER seen or heard of any of them ever hitting their girlfriends. Some have had domestic charges and in FL. the police will arrest a man even if there is no proof etc...So women use that to their advantage...So most & i do say most,not all of domestic assaults are not a guy full on "hitting" a women, but more of a argument with the girl pushing buttons galore and getting in the guys face and the male pushing her in the face or pushing her away etc... Hardly worth getting arrested etc.. So me not all but me i'm tolerant on this issue of character concern.. Doesn't affect how he will be for us...

--Did he full blown punch the btch in the face? or was it overblown? If he punched her then IMO that's a lil different and deserving of concern. But i doubt that was the case. DOubt without even knowing..

yordad
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!

That was my initial reaction. My cat was chillin on my lap, and I moved him as soon as the Bills were up just in case.

It went from C to A for me.

FlyingDutchman
04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
If we can get Bennett now, ill be absolutely thrilled with today

Al the Bills Fan
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
LOVE THIS PICK, this may be the steal of the draft.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I am very happy with our first day. I am a little pissed that mroe of the TE's are gone, but Rucker is still on the board so lets get his ass and I will be happy as a clam.

Elminster
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Made me feel a good deal better when I saw it, to get something we needed as badly as we did. Played the draft board well: I was afraid of a run on WRs in the late first, but that never materialized. Let's get a TE or a LB next! And a QB in the next three rounds. At the very least, we'll need a back-up for next year...

TigerJ
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm happy with Hardy. I think the off field issues have been sufficiently answered. The main thing is he's got to get more polished and stronger. I love the matchup problems he presents defensive secondaries though. On mock draft I saw compared him to Harold Carmichael. Some of you youngsters might not know about him, but he was a real tall receiver for Philadelphia back in the day how gave CBs fits. Maybe Plaxico Burress is a present day comparison if he gets stronger.