• Nov 2007

Re: Thank you New England!!

What do you mean?

made by me

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

I think many had the Pats taking McKelvin. I thought they were trading down to take him and not a guy that was projected as a late first rounder.

Comment

• Marvelous
        • Feb 2004

Me too... I can't believe they took Mayo... I woulda sworn it was Cromartie. And i thought McKelvin woulda been gone before we(&they) picked @ 10...
        ---I am amazed that in all of my scenerios i never ever saw any thathad McKelvin falling to us... WOW, just WOW... Our football team just improved greatly... Now lets score some great depth just in case the injury bug is still lingering...
        GO BILLS!!! NE
        Magical Trevor

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Marvelous
          Me too... I can't believe they took Mayo... I woulda sworn it was Cromartie. And i thought McKelvin woulda been gone before we(&they) picked @ 10...
          ---I am amazed that in all of my scenerios i never ever saw any thathad McKelvin falling to us... WOW, just WOW... Our football team just improved greatly... Now lets score some great depth just in case the injury bug is still lingering...
          I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the Patriots trade down, I figured they were going to snatch McKelvin right in front of us. Then they grabbed Mayo and I laughed a bit. And McKelvin fell right into our lap. Sure I hated taking a CB there, but he was definitely the best CB in the draft and the Bills had him top on their list.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Who am I to laugh at the Patriots for a personnel decision? They aren't exactly wrong often.

Mayo was a bit of a surprise, but not really. Once Rivers left the board, I knew Mayo was a good possibility at 10.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              I think many had the Pats taking McKelvin. I thought they were trading down to take him and not a guy that was projected as a late first rounder.
              "projected"? By whom?

Let's compare him with the LB drafted #11 overall last year:

Jerod Mayo: 6-1, 242#, 4.54 40, 40.5 VJ, 4.29 Shuttle, 7.31 Cone

Patrick Willis: 6-1, 242#, 4.51 40, 39 VJ, 4.37 Shuttle, 7.10 Cone

Both players were team captains and leaders, called defensive signals in the huddle and came out after their Junior seasons. Compare their final seasons:

Mayo: 140 tackles (79 solo), 1.5 sacks, 8.5 tackles for loss, 1 FF, 1 Int (for TD)

Willis: 137 tackles (87 solo), 3 sacks, 11.5 tackles for loss, 2 FF, 0 Int

So, the Pats got a very athletic ILB, their biggest need, who is a smart, tough, team leader and had great production and a real high ceiling. He can play any LB position and can play on all 4 downs. The Patriots were most impressed by his intelligence, as evidenced by his completing his degree despite leaving college after his Junior season.

You don't like the pick, though. I can live with that.
              Last edited by Ickybaluky; 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                I was thinking the same thing. When I saw the Patriots trade down, I figured they were going to snatch McKelvin right in front of us. Then they grabbed Mayo and I laughed a bit. And McKelvin fell right into our lap. Sure I hated taking a CB there, but he was definitely the best CB in the draft and the Bills had him top on their list.
                The Patriots don't pay big money for CB. They let Ty Law walk. They let Asante Samuel walk. They invest their money in the front 7.

Further, they like to select small quick CB in the mid rounds. They picked Samuel in the 4th. They picked Ellis Hobbs in the 3rd. Randal Gay was undrafted.

It has worked pretty well so far.

Trading down allowed them to get another 3rd, giving them 3 3rd round picks tomorrow. They get their LB and save some money by trading down.

Yet, you laugh.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                  The Patriots don't pay big money for CB. They let Ty Law walk. They let Asante Samuel walk. They invest their money in the front 7.

Further, they like to select small quick CB in the mid rounds. They picked Samuel in the 4th. They picked Ellis Hobbs in the 3rd. Randal Gay was undrafted.

Trading down allowed them to get another 3rd, giving them 3 3rd round picks tomorrow. They get their LB and save some money by trading down.

Yet, you laugh.
                  They paid Law a crap load of money and then let him go a year early (or did they keep him for the whole contract?) because of his high salary cap figure AND because he wanted a crapload of money. Wasn't Assante franchised last year? They pay for good corners when they have them, they just won't mortgage their future for them. Smart move.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                    They paid Law a crap load of money and then let him go a year early (or did they keep him for the whole contract?) because of his high salary cap figure AND because he wanted a crapload of money. Wasn't Assante franchised last year? They pay for good corners when they have them, they just won't mortgage their future for them. Smart move.
                    Ty's big contract was signed when Pete Carroll was the coach. He had a high cap number in his walk year, but the other years he played to his value. Samuel as well was cheap until his franchise year. They don't invest huge signing bonus money in CB. They weren't about to take one high.

The Pats feel they can plug guys into their secondary who are smart and quick. They don't really value size, they seem to pick smaller CB who have great shuttle times. They lose guys all the time, and plug new ones in. It has been done consistently since Belichick got here.

They invest their money in their front 7. I'm not sure how you can look at the team since 2000 and argue otherwise.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

The Pats are the smartest drafting team in the NFL.

They have the record to prove it.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Sad thing is, even if McKelvin does pan out we will end up letting him walk like we did with Nate Clements.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                          • Mar 2003

Ty's big contract was signed when Pete Carroll was the coach. He had a high cap number in his walk year, but the other years he played to his value. Samuel as well was cheap until his franchise year. They don't invest huge signing bonus money in CB. They weren't about to take one high.

The Pats feel they can plug guys into their secondary who are smart and quick. They don't really value size, they seem to pick smaller CB who have great shuttle times. They lose guys all the time, and plug new ones in. It has been done consistently since Belichick got here.

They invest their money in their front 7. I'm not sure how you can look at the team since 2000 and argue otherwise.
                          Well they can plug in anyone because they cheat and know what is coming

Not to hard to tell me Hey when he does this he is throwing a 10 yard curl

good old cheater mc belicheat

MUCK
                          FIAMI

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Yet, you laugh.
                            Who do you think they're gonna get to tape other teams this year? Maybe grab someone in the 7th round?

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

That illustrates why I didn't want to take a CB first. It seems the Pats can just plug anyone in and they do well, because the real damage is done up front (or on the sideline).
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X