PDA

View Full Version : So, who's left?

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
All the big time TEs are gone. Davis, Bennett, Keller, and even Carlson.

What do we do on the next day?

I can't believe Washington drafted both Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. Holy crap.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Jermichael Finley, Texas; Kellen Davis, Michigan St.; Brad Cottam, Tenn. and Martin Rucker, Missouri are the best TEs still on the board.

I'm not sold on Cottam or Davis as pass receivers who can get deep, but I do like Finley and Rucker. Finley and Rucker aren't polished blockers at this stage, but both are pretty good athletes.

Rucker was a major weapon in the Missouri passing offense and is a smooth receiver, but wasn't asked to do a lot of blocking in their offense. He may be the most physically gifted of the TEs, but he is still raw, especially as a blocker and he didn't do as well as expected at The Combine, which dropped his stock a bit.

I didn't see Finley much, but, from what I have read about him, he is a good athlete, a former WR, who is a pretty good receiver, but not much of a blocker.

Cottam is HUGE. He looks like the proto-typical blocking TE, but he showed a knack for getting open and excellent hands at the Senior Bowl. The problem with Cottam is that he has been injured a LOT during his college career.

Kellen Davis has all of the physical measureables that you would want in a TE and is a good blocker. But, he was not nearly as productive as you would expect from a guy with his physical ability during his college career. He looked very good in the workouts at the Senior Bowl, but virtually disappeared during the game. (While Davis looked great doing the drills and disappeared in the game, Cottam looked like your typical slow, blocking TE in the drills and was a standout star in the game--so take that for whatever you think that it's worth.)

C.Brown reported that the Bills had Finley in prior to the draft and recently Rucker told a newspaper that he had talked with the Bills recently--so one of those two could be the guy that the Bills may be looking to take.

Gary Barnidge of Louisville and Jacob Tamme are two smaller receiving TEs who will probably be available later in the draft. Neither stood out in the all-star games that they played in, however. The is also a TE out of Cal--Stevens, I think his name is--who is more of an all-around, "does-everything-well-but-nothing-great"--who is projected to go in the middle rounds of the draft that the Bills have also talked to (according to C.Brown's blog).

So, that's who's left at TE. There are also a bunch of LBs who are still available who the Bills might find interesting in the next round or two, as well as some D-linemen, including Dre Moore, Pat Sims and Red Bryant, etc. The cupboard is not exactly empty in terms of who is still out there that the Bills might be interested in, even though the top TEs in this deep draft class are pretty much gone at this point.

Confused
04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I think we missed the boat as far as TE's are concerned. I hope Teyo Johnson is more than camp fodder....

SeatownBillsFan21
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
it would be a waste to pick a te now