PDA

View Full Version : ESPN & NFLN

Marvelous
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
They almost ruined my draft experience. My wifes mac & cheese with newly added peperoni on top & the Bills awesome drafting made the day positive..\
-------------but--------------
Both networks really have taken a dive..
--I'll start with NFLN since i was planning on watching them this year and DVRing ESPN...
-NFLN had sound issues-- = minor
-NFLN had screen problems. = MAJOR. Half the screen was missing. 1 foot on each side of the picture was just NFLN art etc.. I don't mind, and in fact i LOVE the stats,pic numbers etc on screen but NFLN wasted even more screen with crap. So i switched for good to ESPN...And that bummed me out cause i love Mike Mayock. My wife couldnt get over his lisp, but i like him & the black dude Charles (Davis?) i love that dude, but he's not atthe main table. I dunno why Marchal was there and not him..
---2nd- Jamie Dukes! I can't freakin stand his arrogance & annoying way of pounding & forcing his POV onto his co-workers...

So i switched to ESPN
-------------
----ESPN----
---Keishaun Johnson- /rolls eyes! Why why? 5 people on the main table is just flat out ******ed. It shoulda just been Kiper, & Mort with Boomer playing mediator or whatever Boomer does woulda been perfect... 5 people was annoying... I like Michael Smith but just like last year he gets the shaft & sent to tabnle #3...
----Mel Kiper should have his own show for people who just want hardcore draft talk without the fluff for casual fans who don't know their *** & aren't prepared.. A show we're Kiper just evauluates. I noticed Kiper only gets annoying when he gets caught up arguing a point with another co-anchor etc... But i like his knowledge Same way i like Mike Mayocks,Michael SMith, and most Charles Davis from NFLN....

-I hope day2 is better with both networks knowing/understanding that only the NFL DIEHARDS are tuned in. So forget the fluff & hype etc.

--Thoughts on a better network for diehards?
-Thoughts on both networls today?
--Doesn't matter much because it all comes down to who the Bills picked & who the Jets,Phins & Pats picked. It seems like i overhyped this weekend for a long time now. My wife made the day su[er super awesome. Just like as if it were week 1 kickoff. I justexpected a better product from both networks...

LtFinFan66
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I loved NFLN coverage. Mayock was money. I agree about the sound issue but don't know what you are talking about screen wise

Marvelous
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Screen wise- There was black on the left & right of the picture with lighter black words of NFL network going up & down... So the actual video wasn't the full screen.. My TV is 37' and i'd say 7-8 inches on each side was nothingness..Kinda a' bummer, but not as big as my other complaints...
---I felt so loyal to NFLN since i watch it every single day. I watched EVERY path to the Draft, & even DVRed total access. It was hard to switch networks...My wife DVRed both but only ESPN came out, A stupid error occured w/ NFLN. /BAH!

--So whatja think fishy? Don't ya agree tahtCharles Davis is underrated & Jamie Dukes is forceful? Those Paths to the Drafts & Total Access when it's Mayock & Charles Davis were AWESOME...That woulda been my perfect team..
Rich Eisen,,Mayock,,Charles Davis---id be perfectly happy...

TedMock
04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I watched NFLN this year. Better than ESPN imo. The sound issues early on were an annoyance, but not too significant. I didn't have the screen issues that you're talking about though. I like Mayock better than Kiper, so that' the main reason.

Also (though off topic), afterwards, Charlie Casserly raved about Leodis McKelvin. They each had a "player to watch" or something along those lines, and Casserly picked McKelvin. He said "this kid is going to be a star. He's going to be a starting CB, he can return punts, he can return kicks. He's going to have Sunday highlights on NFLN..." It was nice to see/hear.

Mitchy moo
04-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Do not adjust your TV set, we control the horizontal / we control the vertical.....

LtFinFan66
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Screen wise- There was black on the left & right of the picture with lighter black words of NFL network going up & down... So the actual video wasn't the full screen.. My TV is 37' and i'd say 7-8 inches on each side was nothingness..Kinda a' bummer, but not as big as my other complaints...
---I felt so loyal to NFLN since i watch it every single day. I watched EVERY path to the Draft, & even DVRed total access. It was hard to switch networks...My wife DVRed both but only ESPN came out, A stupid error occured w/ NFLN. /BAH!

--So whatja think fishy? Don't ya agree tahtCharles Davis is underrated & Jamie Dukes is forceful? Those Paths to the Drafts & Total Access when it's Mayock & Charles Davis were AWESOME...That woulda been my perfect team..
Rich Eisen,,Mayock,,Charles Davis---id be perfectly happy...Do you really need the whole screen to watch a draft:idunno:

Marvelous
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Maybe it's a NFLN 'HIGH DEPTH' issue....
--I like Casserly

Carlton Bailey
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
For the second straight year, Keyshawn Johnson is ESPN's best draft analyst. I like him a lot.

Dozerdog
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
They almost ruined my draft experience. My wifes mac & cheese with newly added peperoni on top & the Bills awesome drafting made the day positive..\
-------------but--------------
Both networks really have taken a dive..
--I'll start with NFLN since i was planning on watching them this year and DVRing ESPN...
-NFLN had sound issues-- = minor
-NFLN had screen problems. = MAJOR. Half the screen was missing. 1 foot on each side of the picture was just NFLN art etc.. I don't mind, and in fact i LOVE the stats,pic numbers etc on screen but NFLN wasted even more screen with crap. So i switched for good to ESPN...And that bummed me out cause i love Mike Mayock. My wife couldnt get over his lisp, but i like him & the black dude Charles (Davis?) i love that dude, but he's not atthe main table. I dunno why Marchal was there and not him..
---2nd- Jamie Dukes! I can't freakin stand his arrogance & annoying way of pounding & forcing his POV onto his co-workers...

So i switched to ESPN
-------------
----ESPN----
---Keishaun Johnson- /rolls eyes! Why why? 5 people on the main table is just flat out ******ed. It shoulda just been Kiper, & Mort with Boomer playing mediator or whatever Boomer does woulda been perfect... 5 people was annoying... I like Michael Smith but just like last year he gets the shaft & sent to tabnle #3...
----Mel Kiper should have his own show for people who just want hardcore draft talk without the fluff for casual fans who don't know their *** & aren't prepared.. A show we're Kiper just evauluates. I noticed Kiper only gets annoying when he gets caught up arguing a point with another co-anchor etc... But i like his knowledge Same way i like Mike Mayocks,Michael SMith, and most Charles Davis from NFLN....

-I hope day2 is better with both networks knowing/understanding that only the NFL DIEHARDS are tuned in. So forget the fluff & hype etc.

--Thoughts on a better network for diehards?
-Thoughts on both networls today?
--Doesn't matter much because it all comes down to who the Bills picked & who the Jets,Phins & Pats picked. It seems like i overhyped this weekend for a long time now. My wife made the day su[er super awesome. Just like as if it were week 1 kickoff. I justexpected a better product from both networks...
\
Here we had the kitchen TV on ESPN (Had to, the TV only gets ESN because it has no cable box) and the LR TV on NFLN with the sound up.

ESPN had the better on screen info but NFLN had beter analysis.

BTW we were in the kitchen because we made Tacos all night :up: :fart:

LtFinFan66
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Tacos RULE!!!

You should have invited me:sadwalk:

Marvelous
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
For the second straight year, Keyshawn Johnson is ESPN's best draft analyst. I like him a lot.

-OMG. I dunno what to say to that. Not even "to each his own"
- I find him annoying in many ways.
1- he continues to talk even though soemthing comes up & the camera leaves like say THE PICK, or the military on stage etc.
---He like Jamie Dukes has no freakin idea how to handle a co-anchor disagreeing with him.. He just keep repeating himself louder and more in your face style...

Carlton Bailey
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
---He like Jamie Dukes has no freakin idea how to handle a co-anchor disagreeing with him.. He just keep repeating himself louder and more in your face style...
Isn't that sort of what you're doing to me? :)

PECKERWOOD
04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I personally watched NFLN instead of ESPN.. I agree ESPN has way too many anchors and they don't stfu when teams were selecting, I got fed up with that really fast.

Dozerdog
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Tacos RULE!!!

You should have invited me:sadwalk:

Short party- Valerie is running a 10 mile race in the morning and we tucked her in shortly after the Bills picked Hardy

LtFinFan66
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Crappy excuse:mad:

I can throw down some tacos quickly :supper:

Ingtar33
04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Mayock surprised me. I've never really seen him before, and he was a hell of a lot more accurate then mel kiper typically is.

he was also far less annoying.

BAM
04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
\
Here we had the kitchen TV on ESPN (Had to, the TV only gets ESN because it has no cable box) and the LR TV on NFLN with the sound up.

ESPN had the better on screen info but NFLN had beter analysis.

BTW we were in the kitchen because we made Tacos all night :up: :fart:

I agree with that 100%. If I had two TV's within a small vicinity of each other, I'd have done the same.

NFLN needs a major overhaul of their onscreen formatting. It's pretty bad.

HughC
04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Mayock surprised me. I've never really seen him before, and he was a hell of a lot more accurate then mel kiper typically is.

he was also far less annoying.

I had the computer on the NFLN stream and espn on the TV behind me today. In the first round time after time the NFLN was calling for and nailing picks with two or three minutes to go while espn was waffling, talking about a player that wouldn't be picked for another hour or two. It was actually getting humorous IMO how much better NFLN was; I was only listening to espn to hear their next incorrect analysis and prediction. Round two was different though; NFLN ran more commercials, which was annoying. Probably had to do that since they have so many fewer viewers and therfore get a whole lot less per thirty second commercial.

lordofgun
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Whether you are or not, I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic.

PECKERWOOD
04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Whether you are or not, I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic.

:rofl:

Bert102176
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
don't have NFLN but ESPN sucks after the 1st round they don't show the picks right away and too many damn commercials

Ebenezer
04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
it's hard to break the ESPN tradition. :(

jimbohastle51
04-27-2008, 12:00 AM
the reason the screen was messed up is because you were watching a HD channel and the draft wasnt shown in HD on NFLN, that was alittle displeasing, i stuck with espn but what i saw of mayock was awesome!

Oaf
04-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I would like to see Berman and Mayock team up, with Eisen as the color guy, and Kiper as the occasional pop-in.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 02:40 AM
I watched NFLN the entire day, with one exception.

When Jerry Jones was interviewed, I switched to ESPN.
I find him insufferable.

Mayock was nailing the picks and they were getting them out prior to the announcements, correct almost every time.

NFLN could have done the entire first two rounds by themselves in about a half an hour.

The annoying thing about the NFLN is the repeated commercials.
That "Edge," commercial with those goofy girls is really stupid.