PDA

View Full Version : Tom Santi, Virginia Cavaliers, a TE option?

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 03:06 AM
The report from MSN Foxsports

He's not Heath Miller, another Virginia product, but he's a good athlete who produced for four years and had a nice senior season despite playing in a non-passing offense. He's not afraid to go over the middle and will keep the chains moving. Fast enough, he will find ways to get open. While he's not a special talent, there's no downside and he could serve as a serviceable 10-year pro who goes to work, gets the job done and flies under the radar.

and the analysis from NFL.com

Positives: Good size and build for the position. ... Broad shouldered athlete with room for additional growth. ... At least adequate quickness off the snap. ... Intelligent route-runner who sets up defenders to generate separation. ... Reliable short- and medium-range receiver. ... Soft hands. ... Looks the ball in and secures it before turning upfield aggressively to gain positive yardage. ... Fights for extra yardage. ... Good effort as an inline and second-level blocker. ... Good use of hands and fights to sustain. ... Can track defenders at the second level and works to keep his man from making the play. ... Not flashy, but very consistent.

Negatives: Lacks top athleticism and is considered by some to be a bit of a finished product. ... Runs solid routes, but lacks explosiveness out of his cuts and struggles to generate true separation. ... Lacks the speed to attack down the seam. ... Marginal ability to track the ball over his shoulder. ... Marginal body control to adjust to the poorly thrown ball.

He stands 6ft4, weights 250lbs and runs a 4.70-4.75.

Part of our problem last year was not Robert Royal, but the complete inability of Fairchild to use him properly.

And in R3 at No72 and with our two picks in R4 at No114 and No132, I think there will be better value at other positions than with Rucker or Cottam being taken early. I'd rather we go with BPA available, which could be Reggie Smith, Dan Connor, Cliff Avril, Pat Sims, Dre Moore etc

Tom Santi at No179 would not be a disaster IMO especially if we get Dre Moore (72), Owen Schmitt (No114), Mike McGlynn (No132) and Trevor Scott (No147). I have seen Rucker rated as high as the 3rd and as low as the 6th so there is not any consensus about him.

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 03:33 AM
and this is what CFN Scout say

Most underrated prospect: Tom Santi, Virginia - He suffered from being compared to fellow Cavalier and current Pittsburgh Steeler, Heath Miller. While he's nowhere that talented, he could still be a strong contributor in a two-tight end set

as well as having a good pro-day

http://www.neilcornrich.com/2008/03/tom-santi-shines-at-uva-pro-day.html

Pro Football Weekly say

TE Tom Santi, Virginia
Deceptively athletic and assignment-sound, Santi has quietly flown under the radar but will earn a role as a productive player in the pros.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 06:14 AM
I have always liked Santi.

It cannot be more strongly stated how any numbers from from his college career are meaningless.
UVA has not had a QB or wide receivers since Miller/Schaub.
Pathetic pass O.

Nothing to take the pressure off him.

He's solid in every phase.

(For my other "take a guy from one of my kids schools," Chris Ellis/DE/Va Tech).

But both at the appropriate time.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 09:32 AM
I have always liked Santi.

It cannot be more strongly stated how any numbers from from his college career are meaningless.
UVA has not had a QB or wide receivers since Miller/Schaub.
Pathetic pass O.

Nothing to take the pressure off him.

He's solid in every phase.

(For my other "take a guy from one of my kids schools," Chris Ellis/DE/Va Tech).

But both at the appropriate time.

And so we did.