PDA

View Full Version : Hardy has risen from tough past

YardRat
04-27-2008, 06:36 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/332962.html

The Buffalo Bills have made character an important quality when evaluating players.

At first glance, their second-round draft pick, Indiana wide receiver James Hardy, would seem to have character issues. He was charged with domestic battery in 2006 for allegedly attacking his girlfriend. The case was settled out of court. He also served a two-game suspension that season for reasons not related to the arrest.

But considering what Hardy overcame in his life, character is not a weakness.

His father, James Hardy Jr., spent nine years in prison for dealing drugs. Young Hardy lived with his mother until he was 13, and then began living with other relatives. As a high school freshman, his bed was an air mattress in the living room of a one-bedroom apartment shared with an uncle, who was fresh out of prison.

“I would just stay at school, in the gym or on the field so I wouldn’t have to go home,” Hardy said Saturday. “That’s what got me here and I’ll be able to go home to my own house and eat right and just be able to focus on being a professional. I take this very seriously. Besides my faith and family this is the most important thing to me. I just want to make everybody proud.”

!Papacrunk!
04-27-2008, 07:15 AM
well at least it seems like he's learned his lesson from smacking his girlfriend around.

On the surface it really does seem like he wants to turn his wlife around. With so many of these domestic batteries happening with players and their girlfriend/wife anymore, you'd think the league would ratchet up some form of program to assist, or if there's an established one, make it better. There seems like there something that could be done, especially for the players that have it in their history or after they do something like that. Everyone deserves to right their wrongs, even people that allegedly attack women. No saracsm intended for the record.